Ten-thousand for entire set-up. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello AVS

I'm going to be building a house come spring and have allotted my spending on my HT equipment.
I currently have: Dayton 5.1 10" sub, Pioneer vsx-917v and a sammy 50" plasma. ps3 and htpc and need an upgrade!

How can I best use my money? Display, Speakers, Rec/Amp

20x15 living room, will be arranged a few different ways over time so nothing is definitively set up, LCD/LED or Plasma no larger than 55"

I'll list a few of my wants/needs:
Want a complete set-up min of 5.1
40% music 40% movies 10% gaming
A full warm sound for movies.
aesthetics on the entire set-up
no preference on bookshelf/towers

any other questions ill answer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 132

My philosophy is speakers first, everything else second.  Get the RIGHT speaker for you even if it means delaying something else.

I never have and never will subscribe to the logic of "buy speaker 'A' and then upgrade it down the road"

I bought what I thought would be my first/last pair of speakers in 1979.  I still have them, they are still going strong.  I have since bought their bigger brothers and the pair I bought in 1979 will be graciously moved to rear channel duty.

If you calculate my cost per year of ownership, it's very cheap by this point in time.  Had I gotten on the upgrade merry go round, there's no telling how much money I would have spent (wasted in my view) on the journey.

Other well reasoned people will differ in their thoughts....  those are mine.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Number one, I would get the Anthony Gallo speaker system with CL-3, CL-2, and CL-C speakers.

That should run you about $3500. Do not get the Gallo subwoofer though. Read the article on this system at avguide.com and you will see what I mean.

You can spend twice as much and not equal these speakers; they are simply amazing, in several ways. One is the literally unbelievable amount of bass they put out. Another is the purity of the sound and the wide dispersion pattern of the unique hemisperical-dome tweeter, which makes every seat in the room the best listening spot.

For subwoofers, I suggest you get two of the NHT B12D subwoofers, which will cost $1400.

They are the cleanest, lowest-distortion subs I have ever heard.

I listen to a wide range of music, heavy on classical and jazz but also bluegrass, folk, and world music, plus movies of all kinds. These speakers do it all with the nicest sound around. They can put a full symphony orchestra in your room, or the Red Baron's plane at full throttle.

IMO the Rolls-Royce of receivers is the Cambridge Audio 551R receiver. Home Theater did a review of it and pretty much ran out of superlatives describing it. It runs around $1300, and has plenty of very clean power to run those speakers. It also has cleaner sound (lower distortion) than any other receiver you can buy at any price.

I am using a set of CL-3 speakers and the NHT subwoofer at one home, and it sounds as good as my Vandersteen 3A system at my other house which cost over twice as much.

All of that should cost around $6000, which will leave lots of money for the TV of choice and an OPPO BDP-105 player for both audio and video excellence.

P.S.- To erase any doubts you might have about how good those speakers are, Gallo will allow you 60 days FREE home trial. They pay free shipping up front, and also pay a full refund and return shipping if you send them back (but you won't...lol).
post #4 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Number one, I would get the Anthony Gallo speaker system with CL-3, CL-2, and CL-C speakers.
That should run you about $3500. Do not get the Gallo subwoofer though. Read the article on this system at avguide.com and you will see what I mean.
You can spend twice as much and not equal these speakers; they are simply amazing, in several ways. One is the literally unbelievable amount of bass they put out. Another is the purity of the sound and the wide dispersion pattern of the unique hemisperical-dome tweeter, which makes every seat in the room the best listening spot.
For subwoofers, I suggest you get two of the NHT B12D subwoofers, which will cost $1400.
They are the cleanest, lowest-distortion subs I have ever heard.
I listen to a wide range of music, heavy on classical and jazz but also bluegrass, folk, and world music, plus movies of all kinds. These speakers do it all with the nicest sound around. They can put a full symphony orchestra in your room, or the Red Baron's plane at full throttle.
IMO the Rolls-Royce of receivers is the Cambridge Audio 551R receiver. Home Theater did a review of it and pretty much ran out of superlatives describing it. It runs around $1300, and has plenty of very clean power to run those speakers. It also has cleaner sound (lower distortion) than any other receiver you can buy at any price.
I am using a set of CL-3 speakers and the NHT subwoofer at one home, and it sounds as good as my Vandersteen 3A system at my other house which cost over twice as much.
All of that should cost around $6000, which will leave lots of money for the TV of choice and an OPPO BDP-105 player for both audio and video excellence.
P.S.- To erase any doubts you might have about how good those speakers are, Gallo will allow you 60 days FREE home trial. They pay free shipping up front, and also pay a full refund and return shipping if you send them back (but you won't...lol).

fantastic post thanks for your input
post #5 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
With that type of budget you're going to have a huge amount of choices, all of which will sound good.

My best advice would be try to demo anything you consider before you buy, and consider the used market in order to stretch your budget.

Good luck!

Check out my WAF approved living room theater

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1526916/my...-1-living-room
post #6 of 7 Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 PM

Liked: 17
That's a healthy budget. I'd recommend you go out and listen to some speakers to find out what you like. Dynaudio, Focal, PSB, and Paradigm should be on your list at dealers and Ascend, Salk, and Gallo for internet.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Hopefully you can audition many options. Consider Kef R series as I think they excel on both music and movies. Others can recommend subs. Being able to home audition the Gallos might be worth it also. There are many great speakers in that price range but some are better at music and others HT, sounds like you want a balance which the R series provide.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page