How far from the walls are YOUR speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Curious how far from the front and side walls your speakers are placed. I have the DefTech SM65 speakers mounted on 26" stands with the back of the speaker 23" from the front wall and 6' from the sides.

I find that if I move the speakers to less than 1' from the front wall, I can easily notice how boomy the sound gets and vocals definitely lose their clarity. I honestly can't hear the difference if the speakers are moved further from the wall than where I have them now while maintaining the distance from the listening chair.

How far from your front and side walls are your speakers and is the placement limited by space / WAF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
In the LR I designed/built in '97 I had them 5ft from the sides and 4.5ft out from the end wall. It produced very deep and wide soundstage.

Where I live now its almost endless. 9ft to the sides and 6 & 12 ft to the solid walls behind. I say solid as the L/R are setup in front/middle of two 5ft+ wide archways. With the center mounted to the resulting column in between, with 3" thick foam between the back of the speaker and brick wall.

Again it produces a very deep/wide soundstage.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Are you using towers or bookshelves on stands?
post #4 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accuphase View Post

Are you using towers or bookshelves on stands?
24" tall 3-way speakers, mounted to 13" tall bases. In the past I've had them mounted to 15" subs. But in this room, I preferred them on their bases which puts them 9" lower and the subs stacked behind the column between the archways.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Besides the 3" thick foam on the brick wall, do you have any other room treatment?

I'd like to use bass traps but the speakers are in the living room so covering corners with traps is not an option. I've tried tuning the speakers by moving the speakers in and out from the front wall and it's clear that the passive radiators on them really boom near walls. My other speakers never pronounced as much bass near a wall as the 65's.

Moving them further apart widens the sound but too far and I lose that extreme center image (i.e. close-mic'd vocals on Norah Jones). I preferred mine to be set about 8 feet apart with no toe in. Sitting 9 feet away, imaging is clear and the soundstage is wide open.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 11:10 AM

Liked: 13
My JBL towers are about 30" from the rear wall and about 4' from the side walls. I have no boominess at all. You want to have the rear ports close enough to the wall to add some impact to the bass, but far enough away that they do not cause boominess and muddy up the sound.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page