$1000 or less towers for movies/T.V. only........... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am searching for some towers to replace my bookshelf speakers in my living room/home theater. The room is 20x20 with 14 vaulted ceiling. The towers will be used for movies only, no critical listening. I am looking for very dynamic speakers that will wow guest, most of which would not know an accurate speaker if they heard it.

Some I have been considering,
PSB T6, T5
Kef iq 70, Q90?
Arx tower
Emp 55
Energy CF-70
Focal 826

I am hoping some of you have compared some of these and can post your thoughts or can add to the list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Just LR front mains or do you plan to expand to 5.1 later?

Re wowing guests ...

Do you have a sub? (seems almost mandatory of high guest-wow-factor)

Good imaging (i.e. the sound is all around you) might be as desirable as good volume/dynamics.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
If you're going to have multiple people over for movies, a center would be smart. Properly set up stereo speakers can produce amazing results, if you're sitting in the sweet spot. I also agree with needing a sub if big movie sound is your goal.

So all in all a 3.1 setup should be considered.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I know they're not on your list but I'm very pleased with my Paradigm Monitor 11's.

Good range, great clarity, very good imaging. All movie watching.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
Old 01-05-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry,....I left out some information. I currently have a 5.1, TSB 5.25 bookshelves w/ matching center and a Bic F12 sub which I also plan to upgrade. I plan to purchase a matching center to go with my new towers and use my TSB bookshelves as surrounds.

I have been happy with the TSB speakers considering the price, I bought them when they where blowing them out for around $50 each, but compared with other speakers i have heard they seem to sound small? They really shine playing music but I do not care for them as home theater speakers,.....really hard to hear voices and the action scenes not be way to loud. They seem light and airy without any body (sounds like i am describing a beer,lol) during a movie but put on a concert and they are fantastic!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 332
You have a good choice psb ,focal and kef .

If your are sitting far from the tv , I will also considered klipsch.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer1 View Post

I am searching for some towers to replace my bookshelf speakers in my living room/home theater. The room is 20x20 with 14 vaulted ceiling. The towers will be used for movies only, no critical listening. I am looking for very dynamic speakers that will wow guest, most of which would not know an accurate speaker if they heard it.
Some I have been considering,
PSB T6, T5
Kef iq 70, Q90?
Arx tower
Emp 55
Energy CF-70
Focal 826
I am hoping some of you have compared some of these and can post your thoughts or can add to the list.

Ok ... 5.1 and you're upgrading your sub.

All the speakers on your list are well regarded, but some are what might be called more "musical" speakers - i.e. with a somewhat more restrained (for the sake of accuracy) sound. Considering the size of your room and your stated goals you might also consider these ...
Klipch (not my sound preference but very popular for mainly HT)
HTD Level Three
Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

I have heard Klipsh and was not a fan,....to bright. I also listen to several of Bowers and Wilkins offerings and did not care for them either, although they where great with music they seemed lack luster as a home theater speaker,.....much the same as my current TSB speakers.

So far I have liked Energy CF-70 and the Def Tech towers I have heard but neither moved me enough to lay down any money. I an not crazy about Def Tech adding the subs to the towers and the Energy was a move in the right directions but maybe not far enough.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 744
I can highly recommend the psb for movies

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
Old 01-05-2013, 03:17 PM

Liked: 21
Ascend 340 got some great reviews, comparing them to the studio 100s, that's pretty impressive considering the price gap.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have heard Klipsh and was not a fan,....to bright. I also listen to several of Bowers and Wilkins offerings and did not care for them either, although they where great with music they seemed lack luster as a home theater speaker,.....much the same as my current TSB speakers.

So far I have liked Energy CF-70 and the Def Tech towers I have heard but neither moved me enough to lay down any money. I an not crazy about Def Tech adding the subs to the towers and the Energy was a move in the right directions but maybe not far enough.

I had been owner of energy speakers from c series rc and also the veritas v.6.3. why i didn't include the energy on your list?because all those model have been discontinued, so you buy some left over online then something goes wrong with any driver then there could be not parts left.because they are not making any new parts ,just what they have left, is up to you to take the risk.

I recommended Klipsh because they are very popular for movies and also a large room like yours demands high efficient speakers.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I have heard Klipsh and was not a fan,....to bright.

Many listeners feel Klipsh are too bright.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

well other recommendation is KEF they have a very good off axis. (wide sweet spot).

but like other already said your selection is more toward music.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

Many listeners feel Klipsh are too bright.
Funny I heard this also. So I purchased soft dome silk tweeter speakers. But I was always missing the clear dialogue and punch during movies. I went to a friends house and listened to his Klipsch Reference 83s and wow. I asked my teenage son what he thought. A lot better than our setup was his reply. So I went and purchased 3 Klipsch RF7IIs and put in my properly "Treated" room and I have never missed dialogue and music sounds great. My wife and family has never complained. Listen all day as they are hooked up in a living room for the past 2 yrs.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-05-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

Considering the size of your room and your stated goals you might also consider these ...
HTD Level Three

+1 for HTD - and they are not bright
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 01-05-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 101
The EMP e55ti's and e56ci is a killer front stage. Definitely dynamic. Very accurate(+/- 2db) and good off axis response, tons of cone area, etc. They fill my 20x18 w/ 10+ feet ceilings with ease. Best of all...they've got a 30-day risk free trial. Pretty darn nice to have if you ask me!

HTD Level 3's look like another good buy. Not sure if there have been any measurements but the reviews seem positive. Plenty of choices. There was a user on HomeTheaterShack that said the e55ti's held their own against Paradigm Studio 100's. Another has the Focal 814v's, which some say are also very nice and some assume they're better due to higher MSRP rolleyes.gif but he stated he preferred the e55ti's. The KEF iq70's might still be on sale out there, but there are so many people that said the Q series is leaps and bounds above the Iq's...so thats a little scary.

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
Old 01-05-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

so Im the only one here not recommending my my own speakers? smile.gif okay get the energy biggrin.gif
Old 01-05-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Funny I heard this also. So I purchased soft dome silk tweeter speakers. But I was always missing the clear dialogue and punch during movies. I went to a friends house and listened to his Klipsch Reference 83s and wow. I asked my teenage son what he thought. A lot better than our setup was his reply. So I went and purchased 3 Klipsch RF7IIs and put in my properly "Treated" room and I have never missed dialogue and music sounds great. My wife and family has never complained. Listen all day as they are hooked up in a living room for the past 2 yrs.
i demo'ed klipsch rf 81's a few years ago for music only system and did not like the sound as mentioned by others it was bright on the top end and fatiging to my ears.but when i used them in my 2.1 channel ht. they where very good. very wide soundstage andvery detailed and dynamic.if they where just for tv/movies i might of kept them but musically they just did'nt do it for me

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
When I demoed speakers, I ended up with Paradigms. To my ears, they hit the sweet spot. Very dynamic, clear yet not harsh. Paradigm monitors are great for home theater.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:37 PM

Liked: 17
I'd look at the Focal 700 series (800 is out of your price range) and PSB Image series. Don't be afraid of monitors, especially if you're using a sub. Decent towers start around $2,000 a pair.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's informative - kind of why I mentioned Klipsch ; )
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindo View Post

I'd look at the Focal 700 series (800 is out of your price range) and PSB Image series. Don't be afraid of monitors, especially if you're using a sub. Decent towers start around $2,000 a pair.

A little over budget (1150) but the Focal 814V towers and CC814V center are on sale at accessories4less.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/brand/focal/results/1.html
Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindo View Post

A little over budget (1150) but the Focal 814V towers and CC814V center are on sale at accessories4less.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/brand/focal/results/1.html

I think the speakers above are discontinued so they probably slot above the current 700s but below the current 800Vs, but they seem to be a great buy.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

I would like to thank everyone for their input,..........helping someone choose speakers is like telling someone what their favorite flavor of icecream is.tongue.gif

In my area it is not practical to audition many speakers so I am relying on your knowledge based on my description of what I want in a speaker to guide me,...not the best but its what it is.

I have auditioned some very expensive speakers that I did not care for, Martin Logan, B & W, so I have learned more money does not mean I will like the speaker more.

Those Focals at A4less have my attention, can some one compare them to PSB, HTD, or EMP?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 101
If you search the EMP owners thread you will find someone who's had both. He's stated HIS opinion and im sure would answer anything ya need in a PM. I wouldn't turn a shoulder to HTD, EMP or ARX though. I was in the same position as you. Not able to audition anything so I looked to professional reviews, user reviews & measurements to guide me. I've heard my fair share in of drivers in the car audio world & speakers in HT so that also helped, but essentially I went with EMP due to an AMAZING deal on Black Friday AND the fact I could return them after 30-days if I wanted. BUT...didnt need to

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i