AVS Forum banner

3.1or 2.1 Newegg HT setup. What do you think? Advice needed.

2K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  vivatech 
#1 ·
 http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/30/u3uvy7us.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/30/quvane7u.jpg

The room is a 20x14. Off from kitchen/dining area. with a hall that runs to the bedrooms/bathroom.

http://www.whalenstyle.com/category/...onsoles/000284 - stand that the TV will go on. Dimentions 60 1/4 x 20 1/4 x 41" H.

TV will be 55vt50

I am looking for floor speakers, i have dogs not sure bookshelves on stands would be solid enough(just in case). Would go the bookshelf route IF the sound will beat the floor speaker for the same price point.

Sub will be needed also.

Center speaker.While this is tricky to either mount it on top of the TV pointed down. Or i can cut that center piece of the fireplace stand and set it in there. Was a rough one to get the wife approval

Receiver will also be needed. Not sure i will ever go 5.1 in this room, but this will be the max. No 7.1.

Gear i have - Ps3,Wii,(maybe an xbox). Iphone5, Galaxy s3. 2 networked PC's to stream music,movies to the Ps3. Netgear wndr3700 router.

I do have a Sirius radio account,listen to pandora,and listen into other music formats online and phone.

Budget is around 1500.

Here is what i am looking into.

YAMAHA RX-V573BL 7.1-Channel Network AV Receiver

Model #:RX-V573BL

Item #:N82E16882115375

Return Policy:Standard Return Policy

In Stock

Note (Add)

$549.99 -$50.00 Instant $499.99

(2) Polk Audio RTI A5- Cherry High Performance Floorstanding Loudspeaker Each

Model #:RTI A5- Cherry

Item #:N82E16882290157

In Stock

Note (Add)

$399.95 -$149.96 Instant $499.98

Klipsch Reference RW-12d 12" Powered Subwoofer Each w/ New box

Model #:RW-12d

Item #:N82E16882780078

In Stock

Note (Add)

$999.99 -$500.00 Instant $499.99

Polk Audio CSI A4-Cherry High Performance Center Speaker Each

Model #:CSI A4-Cherry

Item #:N82E16882290163

In Stock

Note (Add)

$249.95 -$90.00 Instant $159.95

Will get 200.00 off the sub. also 160.00 giftcard. I do plan to upgrade my PC's videocard. That 160 will help there.

What do you think? Thank you for your time and effort.

Marty

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz  /t/1449789/3-1or-2-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-advice-needed#post_22833074

Yes we already purchased the stand, i am not an impulse buyer. wife and i saw this at sams, we left that day with it
after we get home, i knew what i had done.

Yeah, too bad. Honestly, I would have picked a wider, lower stand. That stand is so tall the TV is already a bit too high for ideal viewing, and then if you were to wall mount it higher to accommodate a big center channel it's even higher up.

A wider, lower console would have allowed you to get the TV down at a better height (even if wall mounted a few inches higher) and also allow you to spread out the FR/FL main speakers wider without having them look funny. You could always place some potted plants or subwoofers in between the console and the speakers though to get them wider without leaving too much "white space". Considering again the lack of surround speakers, I think placing the front mains wider will be critical to create a sense of "width" and immersion in the front soundstage.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz  /t/1449789/3-1or-2-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-advice-needed#post_22789475

So the best newegg has to offer in my range is the denon 1913 that i can see.

Say i did pick that denon 1913. what speakers can you reccomend.

i need to read up on all these terms/options these receivers have.Can you direct me where to start to read up on all these terms.

I am a huge forum read up on stuff guy. i rather post for weeks before i buy.

Appreciate all of your time and effort. Hope to return the favor on something.

Thanks all.

I don't think Newegg is an authorized Denon vendor. Better check that first.
Quote:
Gear i have - Ps3,Wii,(maybe an xbox). Iphone5, Galaxy s3. 2 networked PC's to stream music,movies to the Ps3. Netgear wndr3700 router.

Do you have Wii to HDMI adapter? If not the Yamaha RX-V573 doesn't have analog to HDMI conversion. They dropped that feature from the RX-V571.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig  /t/1449789/3-1or-2-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-advice-needed/0_100#post_22833160

Yeah, too bad. Honestly, I would have picked a wider, lower stand. That stand is so tall the TV is already a bit too high for ideal viewing, and then if you were to wall mount it higher to accommodate a big center channel it's even higher up.

A wider, lower console would have allowed you to get the TV down at a better height (even if wall mounted a few inches higher) and also allow you to spread out the FR/FL main speakers wider without having them look funny. You could always place some potted plants or subwoofers in between the console and the speakers though to get them wider without leaving too much "white space". Considering again the lack of surround speakers, I think placing the front mains wider will be critical to create a sense of "width" and immersion in the front soundstage.

Thanks.

I don't mind the height of TV as it is now. Having neck surgery I look up normally. At a head on view it would hurt my neck. And yes tht console isn't what I wanted but the price features were right.

Got ok to cut that center post to mount speaker there. Think that will work better than a above TV mount?

So you think going for the HTD speakers would be a waste cause of room dynamics?

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1449789/3-1or-2-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-advice-needed/0_100#post_22833617

I don't think Newegg is an authorized Denon vendor. Better check that first.

Do you have Wii to HDMI adapter? If not the Yamaha RX-V573 doesn't have analog to HDMI conversion. They dropped that feature from the RX-V571.

Wii is hooked though those cheap comp cables it came with. Was going to upgrade the cable when i purchased my other cables I need. Thanks for the tips

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz  /t/1449789/3-1or-2-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-advice-needed#post_22834338

Got ok to cut that center post to mount speaker there. Think that will work better than a above TV mount?
Make sure the center post is not a structural support for the stand above it. Otherwise, cutting the post might make the stand sag under the load of the TV.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaux  /t/1449789/3-1or-2-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-advice-needed/0_50#post_22835240

Make sure the center post is not a structural support for the stand above it. Otherwise, cutting the post might make the stand sag under the load of the TV.

Thanks for your info.

This stand is pretty solid. i bet i can stand on it with the 100lb tv..i go 230lb.

If i cut the middle piece, it will be just to fit the speaker to fit flush with the front of stand. pending my speakerr choice will be from 5in deep to 9in. it is 18in deep center post.

#33 ·
The sub is back onsale. also the center dropped 50.00. Plan to order today.

2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325015 Bp8's

1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325028 Mythos 3 center

1 ) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078 Klipsch RW-12d

What cables should i run for the speakers?

Having a Ps3 & getting denon 1713. How many HDMI cables do i need?

I guess run ps3 to denon, denon to tv?

Will the wii with that hdmi out adaptor work with this denon?

Any other items you think i may need? Not a new HT console, lol (i wish)

Thanks all for your help

Marty

#34 ·
I would get all cables at monoprice. Cheap, fast shipping, good quality. And yes, the "wii to HDMI" adapter works fine. Although its not necessary if you don't mind running an extra video cable to your display.

You will need:

- one HDMI cable for connection from receiver to TV.

- one HDMI cable for each component you with to connect to the receiver

- since HDMI cables are only a few bucks each, and you are already paying for shipping, I would order a couple of extras

- you will need speaker wire to connect the speakers. Since you are only running 3.1, you don't have long runs to the surrounds so a 50' roll of basic 16 gauge will be fine.

- it's probably worth picking up a few banana plugs for at least the back side of the receiver (much easier to connect than bare wire)

- you will need a hefty RCA "digital coax" cable to connect to the subwoofer

That's pretty much it.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig  /t/1449789/3-1or-2-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-advice-needed/0_50#post_22846126

I would get all cables at monoprice. Cheap, fast shipping, good quality. And yes, the "wii to HDMI" adapter works fine. Although its not necessary if you don't mind running an extra video cable to your display.

You will need:

- one HDMI cable for connection from receiver to TV.

- one HDMI cable for each component you with to connect to the receiver

- since HDMI cables are only a few bucks each, and you are already paying for shipping, I would order a couple of extras

- you will need speaker wire to connect the speakers. Since you are only running 3.1, you don't have long runs to the surrounds so a 50' roll of basic 16 gauge will be fine.

- it's probably worth picking up a few banana plugs for at least the back side of the receiver (much easier to connect than bare wire)

- you will need a hefty RCA "digital coax" cable to connect to the subwoofer

That's pretty much it.

Thanks Mate.

#36 ·
I'll also mention, since I don't know what random cables you already have lying around, but I would recommend getting a few spares of other stuff (e.g. optical cables, an extra subwoofer / digital coax cable, etc). Like I said, once you are already paying for shipping costs, an extra cable is only a couple of bucks. So might as well drop 10-15 bucks on a few spares... you never know when you will randomly need an optical cable or something.

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig  /t/1449789/3-1or-2-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-advice-needed/0_50#post_22846503

I'll also mention, since I don't know what random cables you already have lying around, but I would recommend getting a few spares of other stuff (e.g. optical cables, an extra subwoofer / digital coax cable, etc). Like I said, once you are already paying for shipping costs, an extra cable is only a couple of bucks. So might as well drop 10-15 bucks on a few spares... you never know when you will randomly need an optical cable or something.

Appreciate the help. i will

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz  /t/1449789/3-1or-2-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-advice-needed/30#post_22845573

The sub is back onsale. also the center dropped 50.00. Plan to order today.

2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325015 Bp8's

1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325028 Mythos 3 center

1 ) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078 Klipsch RW-12d

Are you happy with your speaker purchase? What AVR did you choose?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.