AVS Forum banner

3.1or 2.1 Newegg HT setup. What do you think? Advice needed.

2K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  vivatech 
#1 ·
 http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/30/u3uvy7us.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/30/quvane7u.jpg

The room is a 20x14. Off from kitchen/dining area. with a hall that runs to the bedrooms/bathroom.

http://www.whalenstyle.com/category/...onsoles/000284 - stand that the TV will go on. Dimentions 60 1/4 x 20 1/4 x 41" H.

TV will be 55vt50

I am looking for floor speakers, i have dogs not sure bookshelves on stands would be solid enough(just in case). Would go the bookshelf route IF the sound will beat the floor speaker for the same price point.

Sub will be needed also.

Center speaker.While this is tricky to either mount it on top of the TV pointed down. Or i can cut that center piece of the fireplace stand and set it in there. Was a rough one to get the wife approval

Receiver will also be needed. Not sure i will ever go 5.1 in this room, but this will be the max. No 7.1.

Gear i have - Ps3,Wii,(maybe an xbox). Iphone5, Galaxy s3. 2 networked PC's to stream music,movies to the Ps3. Netgear wndr3700 router.

I do have a Sirius radio account,listen to pandora,and listen into other music formats online and phone.

Budget is around 1500.

Here is what i am looking into.

YAMAHA RX-V573BL 7.1-Channel Network AV Receiver

Model #:RX-V573BL

Item #:N82E16882115375

Return Policy:Standard Return Policy

In Stock

Note (Add)

$549.99 -$50.00 Instant $499.99

(2) Polk Audio RTI A5- Cherry High Performance Floorstanding Loudspeaker Each

Model #:RTI A5- Cherry

Item #:N82E16882290157

In Stock

Note (Add)

$399.95 -$149.96 Instant $499.98

Klipsch Reference RW-12d 12" Powered Subwoofer Each w/ New box

Model #:RW-12d

Item #:N82E16882780078

In Stock

Note (Add)

$999.99 -$500.00 Instant $499.99

Polk Audio CSI A4-Cherry High Performance Center Speaker Each

Model #:CSI A4-Cherry

Item #:N82E16882290163

In Stock

Note (Add)

$249.95 -$90.00 Instant $159.95

Will get 200.00 off the sub. also 160.00 giftcard. I do plan to upgrade my PC's videocard. That 160 will help there.

What do you think? Thank you for your time and effort.

Marty

See less See more
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1  /t/1449789/3-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-plan-to-order-today-thank-you#post_22787265

You're getting the sub for $300 right? I would look at a different receiver for $500, but the speakers are a very good deal.

The Newegg $160 gift card comes with that receiver, so not such a bad price after all

#4 ·
You might want to go with a different receiver.. until a few days ago, the onkyo 809 was on sale for below 500 on amazon.. 135watts per channel 2 channels driven versus 80wpc 2 channels driven on that yamaha. The yamaha looks good but if you can look around or wait a little while for a deal you might be able to get a better receiver for that money. But if you have to buy right now, that yamaha does have good features etc. Maybe some other guys can chime in with receiver deals/recommendations

#5 ·
Will that center blend in with the floorspeakers? I read that some centers will outshine or underperform the L/R.

I guess I can wait on the recv but the sub and floor speakers Are a deal since Xmas. Say I go 500/600 on the recv. What do you think?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola  /t/1449789/3-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-plan-to-order-today-thank-you/0_100#post_22787436

You might want to go with a different receiver.. until a few days ago, the onkyo 809 was on sale for below 500 on amazon.. 135watts per channel 2 channels driven versus 80wpc 2 channels driven on that yamaha. The yamaha looks good but if you can look around or wait a little while for a deal you might be able to get a better receiver for that money. But if you have to buy right now, that yamaha does have good features etc. Maybe some other guys can chime in with receiver deals/recommendations

I can wait but want a newegg deal. Why is the only I better?

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1  /t/1449789/3-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-plan-to-order-today-thank-you/0_100#post_22787265

You're getting the sub for $300 right? I would look at a different receiver for $500, but the speakers are a very good deal.
Yes 300. What recv would you recommend from newegg.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola  /t/1449789/3-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-plan-to-order-today-thank-you/0_50#post_22787436

The Yamaha has a biamp feature to boost front speakers right? will that work?

sorry for all the questions, i kinda want to get this right the first time.

thanks

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1  /t/1449789/3-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-plan-to-order-today-thank-you/0_50#post_22788770

Does it have to be from newegg? If you're getting $160 back its not a bad deal.

I get 1 year intrest free from the egg. thats why i am going this route. that onkyo 809, looks sweet, but the egg doesnt sell it anymore. Also i been hearing about issues with the onkyo.

thanks

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz  /t/1449789/3-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-plan-to-order-today-thank-you/0_50#post_22788508

The Yamaha has a biamp feature to boost front speakers right? will that work?

sorry for all the questions, i kinda want to get this right the first time.

thanks
Don't buy any receiver just because it can bi-amp your speakers. Its a useless and somewhat costly appendage that AVR makers stick on their products to sucker the uninitiated into buying. It'll add nothing to the sound. There is a proper way to bi-amp but it involves external amps wires and crossovers.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90  /t/1449789/3-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-plan-to-order-today-thank-you/0_50#post_22789228

Don't buy any receiver just because it can bi-amp your speakers. Its a useless and somewhat costly appendage that AVR makers stick on their products to sucker the uninitiated into buying. It'll add nothing to the sound. There is a proper way to bi-amp but it involves external amps wires and crossovers.

Thanks for that info.

What can you reccomend for a setup that i listed above. i dont need the best, just a decent setup that will work well together.

How much better can the onkyo 809 make the polk a5's sound compared to the yamaha 573? Just these two speakers. WIll that small gain in watts make that big a difference?

Appreciate your time on this.

thanks

#13 ·
If you can find a Denon or Onkyo in your budget range with Audyssey MultEQ or MultEQ XT (but not 2EQ), that can help improve the sound of the subwoofer output because it measures the sub output and automatically EQs. Yamaha YPAO doesn't do that until you get up to the higher end receivers with multi-point measurement.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagz  /t/1449789/3-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-plan-to-order-today-thank-you/0_50#post_22789343

Thanks for that info.

What can you reccomend for a setup that i listed above. i dont need the best, just a decent setup that will work well together.

How much better can the onkyo 809 make the polk a5's sound compared to the yamaha 573? Just these two speakers. WIll that small gain in watts make that big a difference?

Appreciate your time on this.

thanks
Wattage is one of the most looked at spec for most AVR shoppers - the difference between 100wpc and 200wpc isn't as great as it sounds since the relationship between sound pressure level (SPL) and power is logarithmic and not linear. Find the receiver that has the functions bells and whistles you're looking for. And I'll echo cel4145 - get the best room correction you can in your budget. IMO that is more important than watts. Some of the lower line of Denon AVRs have http://www.audyssey.com/products?field_multeq_flavor_value[]=MultEQ+XT&pid=44&ptype=5]Audyssey MultEQ XT[/URL]. XT32 is TOTL with XT being a small step down.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90  /t/1449789/3-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-plan-to-order-today-thank-you/0_50#post_22789436

Wattage is one of the most looked at spec for most AVR shoppers - the difference between 100wpc and 200wpc isn't as great as it sounds since the relationship between sound pressure level (SPL) and power is logarithmic and not linear. Find the receiver that has the functions bells and whistles you're looking for. And I'll echo cel4145 - get the best room correction you can in your budget. IMO that is more important than watts. Some of the lower line of Denon AVRs have http://www.audyssey.com/products?field_multeq_flavor_value[]=MultEQ+XT&pid=44&ptype=5]Audyssey MultEQ XT[/URL]. XT32 is TOTL with XT being a small step down.

So the best newegg has to offer in my range is the denon 1913 that i can see.

Say i did pick that denon 1913. what speakers can you reccomend.

i need to read up on all these terms/options these receivers have.Can you direct me where to start to read up on all these terms.

I am a huge forum read up on stuff guy. i rather post for weeks before i buy.

Appreciate all of your time and effort. Hope to return the favor on something.

Thanks all.

#17 ·
#18 ·
Always be sure to match your center channel to your front L/R speakers. If you are going to run RTIs for the L/R channels, run the center channel RTI speaker. You will notice a different in sound when something in a movie goes from one side of the screen to the other if you don't match them. If the case of the speakers you mentioned, the sound will degrade some as it passes over the middle of the screen.

#19 ·
I suggest reading the sticky's in the reciever part of the forum or go to Batpigworld.com to learn about Denon recievers.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuspeed94  /t/1449789/3-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-plan-to-order-today-thank-you/0_50#post_22806846

Always be sure to match your center channel to your front L/R speakers. If you are going to run RTIs for the L/R channels, run the center channel RTI speaker. You will notice a different in sound when something in a movie goes from one side of the screen to the other if you don't match them. If the case of the speakers you mentioned, the sound will degrade some as it passes over the middle of the screen.

Thank you for this.

Not sure if i want to go Polk RtAi4 for L/R & Polk Csi A5 for Center

or

HTD level 3 floor speakers with Flat Panel speaker for a center. (loving the dark cherry color)

How much better are the floor speakers are compared to the bookshelves? The Floorspeakers will be about the same height as my fireplace stand.(HTD .5in higher / Polk are 1in lower)

Priced around the same now. The Polks will be cheaper on newegg when the sales hit. Its on/off. Around 200.00 or so cheaper.

The Sub i can just grab on newegg.

My TV is to arrive friday. I will post an updated room pic and speaker placement ideas for the center speaker.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1449789/3-1-newegg-ht-setup-what-do-you-think-plan-to-order-today-thank-you/0_50#post_22806372

To learn more about the Denon 1913, check the AVS Denon XX13 thread . They can help out

Thank you.

I have been reading up on it.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins

In a space that small, I think I'd go with the RTI A1 bookshelfs, CSi A4 center, and PSW505 subwoofer. I don't think you'll see much of any benefit in a room that small with towers, especially if 2ch music without the sub isn't a priority.

Thank you for your time on this, but i think i will go with floor speakers. i have 2 dogs, sometimes they like to play in the living room. Bookshelf with a stand is taking a chance i think.

#23 ·
If you are committed to buying everything from Newegg then the sub option is pretty obvious -- wait for the Klipsch RW-12d to go on sale. It's currently $349 but it goes on sale for $299 pretty regularly, just keep an eye out.

For the receiver, if you will never go beyond 5.1 then don't waste money on the Denon 1913, just get the 1713 instead. You get better sound quality as it has MultEQ XT instead of regular MultEQ.

Did you already buy that Whalen stand? (Btw your link is broken, but I figured out it was this one ). It's a real shame if you are building a system from the ground up and are already screwing yourself on the center channel options. It's ridiculous to me that so many of these "home theater consoles) don't even give you space for a center channel.

If you have bought it, can you wall-mount the TV? That would let you place a center channel on top of the console below the TV. Wall-mounting is easy and cheap, should be under $100 total including the mount and cables. If you don't want to chop holes in the walls for running cables you can get a little "wire runner" plastic molding that mounts on the wall and contains the cables; with a center channel below the TV it will be basically invisible.

#24 ·
Yes we already purchased the stand, i am not an impulse buyer. wife and i saw this at sams, we left that day with it
after we get home, i knew what i had done.

Pending what speakers i choose, leaning tward the klipsch wf-35s and wc-24 i MIGHT be able to cut the stand, mounting the center in that divider in the middle of the stand its 8in high 18in deep (or is that not a good idea?)

As far as 5.1, you can never say never, but mostly likely not. if i did decide to what receiver would you choose if any from the egg for future proofing.

option 2.

OR screw it..

Go with HTD level 3 floor speakers and level 3 center on top the stand. or flat panel on top or inside the stand.

TV in these pics is 74 in off floor. 11ft from where i will be sitting. ear level is 44in high from couch.

having issues posting up mock pics. will do shortly

thanks

#25 ·

.mock htd level 3 speaker on top of stand

. Mock htd flat panel

The newegg wc24 are close to these. Wil fit in the center place if I cut it out

Thx

#26 ·
OK, looking at Newegg's inventory, here is an alternate option:

2 x Def Tech BP8 (on sale for $199 each). Considering you won't have surrounds (3.1), I think you will appreciate the bipolar design which will cast a huge soundstage. You will get a "wider" soundstage than you would with a traditional design like the Polks or Klipsch, mitigating the fact that you won't have surround speakers.

Now that you are in the Def Tech brand, you can get the Mythos 3 center speaker (on sale for $249). The advantage of this speaker is that it is a slim design, meaning you can either mount it above the TV angled down, or have it sitting on top of the console in front of the TV. It's only 5.4" high and 4.3" deep, meaning you will probably have enough room to sit it on the front edge of the console without blocking the TV screen.

So that's only $650 total for the three speakers. Add on the Klipsch RW-12d for $300 and the Denon 1713 for $435 and you are all in for under $1400 with a killer 3.1 setup that I think will mitigate a lot of your potential snags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.