Looking for a pair of speakers to upgrade my Wharfedale 10.7s - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found wharfedale's tweeter is way to much on the bright side! Looking for an upgrade and am willing to spend $1200 max!smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Since those are floorstanding speakers, I assume that is what we are talking about.

The PSB Image T6 is the best-sounding speaker you can get in that price range. It has had repeated rave reviews from The Absolute Sound and Stereophile, among others.

They are $1300 at full price, but Saturday Audio has them for under $1100 per pair.

I had them for two years before upgrading to some more expensive speakers that I fell in love with, but they are nonetheless excellent speakers. There is nothing "bright" about them.

You don't mention what receiver or amplifier you are driving your Wharfedales with. I don't recall most Wharfedales being that "bright", but I have no experience with that model of speaker.

Hove you ever taken them to a store and tried them with a different amplifier (known to sound good) to see if they sound better?

Contrary to what some may allege, many amplifiers and receivers have audible distortion which makes ALL speakers sound "gritty" or "bright"....not pleasant to listen to.

You really should make sure it is the speakers and not the amplifier or receiver that is the main problem before you waste money on the wrong thing.

Many years ago, I learned this lesson the hard way. I bought a set of very expensive speakers which sounded wonderful in the store. They sounded "gritty" and "bright" with my amplifier at home (an expensive 125W Yamaha amplifier). My amplifier was the problem. I bought a much less expensive NAD amplifer, and they sounded wonderful; just like in the store.

Lesson learned; those who say all amplifiers sound the same are dead wrong!
post #3 of 9 Old 01-07-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrock1 View Post

I found wharfedale's tweeter is way to much on the bright side! Looking for an upgrade and am willing to spend $1200 max!smile.gif

The most economical way to deal with a hot tweeter may be taking advantage of a feature that is already in your system.

Or, you may be able to address the problem with speaker orientation or room acoustics upgrades which are on the one hand deadly cheap and on the other hand give many other advantages.

What is the rest of your system and room like?
post #4 of 9 Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys! Commsysman, i am currently running my speakers with a onkyo tx-sr606 av reciver, i have also tested them on a marantz av reciver.
Arnyk my room is fairly small in size, my floor is tiled, I am running a pair of psb bookshelf speakers with my wharfedale's as well as a 10" sub.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Thanks for the reply guys! Commsysman, i am currently running my speakers with a onkyo tx-sr606 av reciver, i have also tested them on a marantz av reciver.
Arnyk my room is fairly small in size, my floor is tiled, I am running a pair of psb bookshelf speakers with my wharfedale's as well as a 10" sub.

That's your problem, the 10.7s aren't close to bright... Any speaker will have this problem. Get a thick rug and place it between your speakers and your position.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 Old 01-08-2013, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Jay1, The 10.7's are amazing for techno and dubstep but when it comes to vocals its not good at all! when playing at loud volumes its to bright and u cant here what is going on, sounds like crap and hurts your ears. I have put these speakers in a very big area where i have a pair of klipsch rf-7ii hookup, They sounded alot better, but you still could still hear it.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Im thinking about changing my receiver.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I don't know a lot about "Audyssey Dynamic EQ" in your avr, but isn't it a type of room correction? And if so, shouldn't it take care of the room acoustics? I'm looking for a new avr and am at the low end of the learning curve on this.

post #9 of 9 Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
I don't know a lot about "Audyssey Dynamic EQ" in your avr, but isn't it a type of room correction?
MultEQ is Audyssey's room-correction software. The 606 has 2EQ, the most basic version of MultEQ, so it won't calibrate the system as well as higher versions of MultEQ.

Dynamic EQ uses the reference-level calibration information obtained through MultEQ and dynamically applies it to below reference-level situations to ensure consistent playback at all volume levels. Because the 606 has 2EQ, Dynamic EQ adjustments will also be less accurate.
ZOOM ZOOM and jayrock1 like this.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page