Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Setup:
Onkyo 1009
input from Optical SPDF from PC (meaning... up to 7.1? any video is upmixed to 5.1, support for DTS, dolby)
room: 5x5m / 16x16ft

Use:
- HT 50
- Gaming 40
- Music 10 (or less)

Budget:
1400 EUR or so

Previous:
Cheapo 5.1 HT set:
Genius Sw5.1 Home Theater - 3600 Watts Pmpo 5.1 Speaker Set
4 X 15W Satellite(with stands + wall brackets) + 15W Center + 45W Sub Woofer + Remote Control

Was actually relatively happy with that, bass a bit... off. Blew out front 3 speakers (possibly rear ones too, bass seems unaffected). Using 2 speakers (temporarily!) from the house at the moment but even then really missing a center.

Totatl noob, don't know where to start. Looked at Teufel Columa 300's because some magazine was giving Teufel good reviews. 2x 5.1 = 9.2 + extra center. A set is easy for an unknowledgable person such as myself - more or less guaranteed harmony with the set and presumably cheaper than buying the speakers seperate. The only thing that looks poor about affordable teufel sets is the crossover appears to be at 140/150Hz. Isn't this very high? I thought 80Hz was more normal. Speaker size is not an issue (within reason... 1.5'x1'x1' or 45x30x30cm should be a max, excluding optional stands). A plus about those sets is regular surround speakers so in games I can clearly hear which direction the sound is coming from, as opposed to dipole speakers where the sound is more diffused (because it's shot in two directions parallel to the listener rather than one direction - at the listener.

Only thing left to decide is whether I want front wide or front high (in addition to surround back). ... How in the world can it get a 'high' output from a 5.1/7.1 input, anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Condensed the original post a bit. Really don't know where to start but I'm not getting replies so here's a shot in the dark:
Most urgent is the center and only slighty less urgent are the front left + front right. I've read a few times it's best to get those three to be the same, so that's what I'm going with for now (prices listed are per speaker).

Onkyo 1009: 135 Watts per Channel at 8 Ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 Channels Driven, FTC

Kef iQ10 - EUR 140
Kef iQ10
Recommended min: 10 watt
Recommended max: 100 watt
Sensitivity: 88 dB
Impedance: 8 Ohm
Frequency range: 50 - 40000 Hz

What I take from it:
- max wattage too low for receiver (which I guess would be how I blew out current speakers)
- low sensitivity
- nice frequency range
- bookshelf speaker - versatile
- nice price

Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 - EUR 270
Mordaunt Short Aviano 6
Recommended min: 15 watt
Recommended max: 150 watt
Sensitivity: 88 dB
Impedance: 4 - 8 Ohm
Frequency range: 38 - 22000 Hz

What I take from it:
- low sensitivity
- nice low frequency but high is a bit limited?
- bit expensive per speaker

Canton GLE 470.2 - EUR 200
Canton GLE 470.2
Recommended min: 110 watt
Recommended max: 170 watt
Sensitivity: 89 dB
Impedance: 4 - 8 Ohm
Frequency range: 25 - 30000 Hz

What I take from it:
- not super sensitive, but near 90dB average
- sure looks good, at least on paper. Order 3? wink.gif

TBH I've never even heard of any of these brands.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-15-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

I've ordered a Jamo S 606 HCS 5 5.1 set, if they sound okay (and I'm confident they will), I'll order a second. Free shipping anyway, so no point in rushing.

Each set would have two floor speakers, so unless I set them up funky with two full-range (including a decent amount of bass) floor speakers as surround or surround back, it will be 2 floor speakers as fronts, and two more on front wide. Not like those floor speakers could go for front high wink.gif

(With 9.2 I have a standard 5 speaker config with fronts, center and surround (film surround so left and right) - the 4 other can be positioned as two of the following: front high, front wide, and surround back. Surround back is a given for me (for gaming) so my only choice in that matter is front wide and front back. Given that surround speakers are unlikely candidates for the floor speakers, and front high are pretty much not an option (... although, if you attached them to the ceiling?), they would be front wides)
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page