New Speaker recommendations - Denon AVR-3313ci - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 01-07-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchased a Denon AVR-3313ci receiver to replace my ancient Sony TIB system. Looking for some expertise in choosing speakers. Will be using it about 90% of the time for TV/Movies and occasionally for listening to music. The room that this will be in is a small living room area, around 15x15. We are planning on moving in the next 2-3 years so I did not want to put anything in wall/ceiling. No budget, just want to get the right speakers to pair with this receiver without going overboard.

Room has several seating locations, couch, love seat, recliner.

Read through a bunch of threads and found a bunch of opinions but none that mirrored my setup/budget closely. Appreciate any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 01-07-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
You'll need to give your budget so we can spend ever cent. The more the better you'll get. Pretty hard to make a recommendation without some kind of figure. Only you know what that is.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

I would say anywhere from $1,000-2,000 on speakers would be a starting point. Willing to spend more if it's worth it. This is a smaller space so no room for free-standing speakers. Would need to be on a shelf with rears mounted on wall.
post #4 of 41 Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
B&W 685 - 3 pairs (for 6.1, or 5.1 if you will be able to sell one speaker). HSU or SVS subwoofer - at least 10", better 12".
post #5 of 41 Old 01-07-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 458
3 pairs of the Focal 705 - use one as a center and have one as a spare,
cheaper than a regular center speaker >> and can be wall mounted for
the surrounds.
http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/34398

Look at HSU VTF-2 subwoofer
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #6 of 41 Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I really appreciate the replies.
post #7 of 41 Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
My two favorite speakers, from my personal experience...
1. EMPtek speakers. Beautiful speaker that sounds great, especially for the money. E55ti and center would fit easily into your budget and leave you a nice amount for a very good sub!
2. Ascend acoust cmt340 book shelf and center. Smaller than the EMPs, these speakers are very balanced and clear. Cmt 170 for rear speakers. Again, these speaker would leave you 500 + dollars for a good sub (assuming a 2000 budget)
Both of these speakers would do well in a larger room!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #8 of 41 Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

HSU or SVS subwoofer - at least 10", better 12".

+1

An HSU an SVS 12" subwoofer would be a great choice. You can't find a better value for the money.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #9 of 41 Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

B&W 685 - 3 pairs (for 6.1, or 5.1 if you will be able to sell one speaker). HSU or SVS subwoofer - at least 10", better 12".

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

3 pairs of the Focal 705 - use one as a center and have one as a spare,
cheaper than a regular center speaker >> and can be wall mounted for
the surrounds.
http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/34398
Look at HSU VTF-2 subwoofer
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

I like these 2 recommendations.

You can do 5.1 or 6.1 if you have space in the rear for 3 speakers (3 speakers in front, 3 speakers in back). biggrin.gif

B&W, Focal, Dynaudio, KEF, Revel..... all big time name brand speakers.

SVS, HSU, Rythmik, Epik..... all great subs.
post #10 of 41 Old 01-09-2013, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Went and checked out these speaker recommendations yesterday. Can't agree more that these are awesome speakers, loved the B&W's. Only problem is they are all way to big to fit into the space I am using. Is this a typical problem folks run into with smaller space constraints? Otherwise I would buy these in a heartbeat.
post #11 of 41 Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by doabbs View Post

Went and checked out these speaker recommendations yesterday. Can't agree more that these are awesome speakers, loved the B&W's. Only problem is they are all way to big to fit into the space I am using. Is this a typical problem folks run into with smaller space constraints? Otherwise I would buy these in a heartbeat.

How big is "way too big"? A 13 x 8 x 12 inch speaker ( the size of the B&W 685) doesn't seem too big to me...............
post #12 of 41 Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM

Liked: 11
i haveing the same issue i just got the same denon amp now looking for speakers there so many choices so far what i came up with is
Klipsch Reference RF-82 II front
Klipsch Reference RC-62 II center
Klipsch Reference RS-52 II sourond
Klipsch SW-110 Powered subwoofer

and thats like 2500
now after reading alot im looking at the b@w speakers
i have no idea what to get any more help would be great
im looking for big front speakers
post #13 of 41 Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by glimerman View Post

i haveing the same issue i just got the same denon amp now looking for speakers there so many choices so far what i came up with is

and thats like 2500

B&W, Revel, KEF, Focal, & Dynaudio would give more prestige. biggrin.gif

If you like accurate speakers objectively, I would stick with KEF, Revel, NHT, PSB, Paradigm. Focal & Dynaudio would be 2nd on the accurate measurements. B&W, Klipsch, DefTech, GoldenEar would be towards the less accurate measurements.

But all may sound good to you subjectively.

For subs, I would stick with SVS, Rythmik, HSU, Epik, or Funk. Don't buy any subs from Klipsch, B&W, Revel, KEF, NHT, DefTech, GoldenEar, etc.
post #14 of 41 Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 AM

Liked: 12
go on ebay and buy some KLIPSCH REFERENCE SPEAKERS. you can get them for half price. can't go wrong with KLIPSCH. nobody makes a speaker that can come close for the money.

I look forward to learning more from all of you.
post #15 of 41 Old 08-03-2013, 10:15 AM

I think too much emphasis is placed on the speaker when it comes to accuracy. they are all good, but will only play as good as the equipment they are hooked up to. cabling makes a difference and so does the source. assuming everything else is perfect then yes the actual speaker is worth considering. even an old cheap set of speakers are going to outperform an expensive set of new speakers if they are hooked up to the right system.

paradigm speakers powered by an a/v receiver are not going to touch a speaker that costs half as much that is powered by a good power amp with good speaker wire and connections.

I always recommend klipsch, because they are extremely efficient and will outperform anything else on the market when powered by a consumer level A/V receiver. you recommend people go with the more expensive speakers be sure to remind them that they will need a good class A/B power amplifier with some decent interconnects in order to make them perform as intended. receivers just won't do it.

brand names mean nothing. look at the specs.

post #16 of 41 Old 08-03-2013, 10:19 AM

the klipsch rc 52 should be more than adequate for your center channel speaker. on the receiver you can adjust the loudness of the center channel. trust me, that little RC 52 can perform. I have 2 of them FRONT AND REAR.

if you really want to get a good one go on ebay and buy the old Klipsch legend series C-7. that thing will knock your socks off. probably pic it up now for under 400. it was over a grand new.

post #17 of 41 Old 08-04-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doabbs View Post

Just purchased a Denon AVR-3313ci receiver to replace my ancient Sony TIB system. Looking for some expertise in choosing speakers. Will be using it about 90% of the time for TV/Movies and occasionally for listening to music. The room that this will be in is a small living room area, around 15x15. We are planning on moving in the next 2-3 years so I did not want to put anything in wall/ceiling. No budget, just want to get the right speakers to pair with this receiver without going overboard.

Room has several seating locations, couch, love seat, recliner.

Read through a bunch of threads and found a bunch of opinions but none that mirrored my setup/budget closely. Appreciate any feedback.
i'm curious what prompted you to get the DENON 3313CI network receiver if all you are going to do with it is use it in a small living room? you could have gotten a much cheaper receiver that would have done the same job. you don't need preouts in a small living room. you probably don't even need zone 2 or 3 capability either. i'm not knocking your decision to buy that, but i am curious what would prompt you to buy something that you obviously don't need?

as for speakers i always recommend klipsch, but in your case i would consider a small satellite speaker system. i bought a POLK AUDIO set several years ago that was real nice and it only cost $600 or $700 at the time. it sounded really clean. if you don't have much space then i would avoid the big speakers. you say you are moving in the near future so that would rule out an in-wall / in-ceiling installation.

i think for what you are doing you bought more A/V RECEIVER than you really need. sure its nice to have, but that's like buying a Ferrari to cruise around in the city with. yeah it looks cool, but what good is a 200 mph car that you can't get out of 2nd gear?

post #18 of 41 Old 08-04-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimerman View Post

and thats like 2500

i don't know your financial situation, but if you are looking for a "DEAL" i would look into getting some used speakers especially if you are looking at KLIPSCH. i been buying KLIPSCH for a long time and I've learned a few things along the way especially when it comes to their higher end speakers. they are like cars. you fix them, you don't just throw them away. you can parts for klipsch speakers very easily by special ordering them through an audio shop or buy simply going on ebay. a driver or a crossover... really man, what else is in that speaker box? nothing. you can get some good deals on used klipsch speakers. in fact, there's one deal I've been looking at. there's a consignment shop here in town that has a KLIPSCH RSW 15 subwoofer. i actually owned one before. brand new that was like a $2,000 subwoofer. they have it used for $700 and will probably negotiate less for it. that thing there will part your hair LOL!

if you have a big house and really want the "MOTHER LOAD" of loud speakers I've been seeing pairs of KLIPSCH BELLES and LA SCALAS on craigslist for $700 to $1500 in excellent condition. you won't find any consumer level store that carries anything that will even touch those. even specialty audio shops you won't find that kind of fire power at. that level of speaker is very hard to find if you are window shopping. a brand new pair of KLIPSCH BELLES i think is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 grand. if you've never seen those or heard of those look them up. they are pretty unique looking and definitely a conversation piece. you can't miss them if you see them in someone's house. they are definitely eye candy if you see them up close. the sound will sweep you off your feet too.

post #19 of 41 Old 08-04-2013, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
^^^^^

You do realize this thread is 7 months old?

; Rythmik F12 (x2); Denon AVR-4520CI; D-Sonic M2-800S; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; Schiit Audio Valhalla; Sennheiser HD600; BJC everywhere
WDTV Live Hub; Xbox 360; Harmony One; Furman Elite-15 PFi; Omnimic v2 & REW; CalMAN 5 HT; i1 Display Pro 3; i1 Pro2
post #20 of 41 Old 08-04-2013, 02:52 PM

lol, no I didn't. 7 months isn't that long. I had to wait 3 years before I could buy my latest piece of A/V equipment so the issue might still be on the table.

post #21 of 41 Old 08-04-2013, 02:57 PM

I was looking at your pictures. you have some very nice equipment. its not the direction I would have gone, but that's just preference. your home theater looks amazing. very nice indeed. i'm a big fan of wall and ceiling mounting "EVERYTHING" lol. I have this thing about not being able to vacuum around big stuff. i'm not much into furniture either. I do like your setup though. looks pricey. the kind of pricey that is out of my range i'm sure.

post #22 of 41 Old 09-21-2013, 01:25 PM

I currently have the following set up in my basement.

Denon AVR 3313CI
Cambridge Sound Works mc 100 x4
Cambridge Sound Works mc 150 center channel
Cambridge Sound Works Bass Cube 8s
Samsung 46" LCD TV

the space is small, about 12x19 with 8ft drop ceiling. looking to upgrade my speakers as I'm moving everything up to my living room. the new space will be about 12x16, with a 12ft ceiling. I'm buying a new 65" Samsung 3d smart led tv. I want to start of with new L/R/ Center first. then upgrade the sub soon after, then the surround L/R. any suggestions on which speakers would sound good with the denon avr 3313ci? my budget for the front L/R & Center speakers is $600.
post #23 of 41 Old 09-21-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee02130 View Post

any suggestions on which speakers would sound good with the denon avr 3313ci? my budget for the front L/R & Center speakers is $600.

Receiver make/model is not really important for the speakers you chose. Any good left, right, and center that you like the sound of should work well. I would suggest looking at speakers from Arx, Ascend Acoustics, and HSU.

Then be sure to save some money towards a good sub. That definitely would be an improvement to your setup.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #24 of 41 Old 09-21-2013, 01:45 PM

thanks for the suggestions. what do you think about the definitive technology pro monitor 1000 speakers?
post #25 of 41 Old 09-21-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee02130 View Post

thanks for the suggestions. what do you think about the definitive technology pro monitor 1000 speakers?

The other speakers I listed will be better. Get the HSU HB-1s, Ascend CBM-170s, or ARX A1b for your front right/left, and then their matching center.

post #26 of 41 Old 09-21-2013, 02:59 PM

i'm not familiar with any of the speakers the other people listed. personally i'm a klipsch fan. if I were you I would go on ebay and see if you can score some good reference series klipsch speakers. if you want good in-wall speakers and in-ceiling speakers for a good price I would look at the KLIPSCH 5800's.

if you are only powering your speakers off a receiver then you really want a speaker with a good efficiency rating. the 5800 klipsch in wall/ceiling speakers are rated at 95db @ 1 / meter. that's a very respectable efficiency rating for a speaker no matter what the price range. when it comes to sound quality I honestly think the weak link in the chain is going to be your source and not the receiver or the speakers. the denon 3313 is decent receiver, but its not a high current power amplifier. its a fairly decent processor for the money though. I have it myself and it does have its quirks.

why did you go with the denon 3313? I have to ask, because its a lot of money for the system you putting together. its more than you need. you mention nothing about putting a zone 2 system together nor do you mention using any power amplifiers. the main selling point of the denon 3313 is that it offers preouts for all channels driven and a zone 2 hdmi out. you need the preouts to use a separate power amplifier (this is what i'm doing) and you need a hdmi out for zone 2 if you are going to run hdmi to a zone 2 system that will function independent of the main theater zone. you aren't using these capabilities so why would you waste your money on a 3313 when a cheaper model will do the job just fine. I know you didn't buy the 3313 for its power, because like most receivers its a gutless wonder. you want power you gotta go with a power amp or a much more expensive receiver.

KLIPSCH is the brand you should look at. nothing beats a klipsch for the money and the repair parts are easy to get for them too if you blow a driver. 600 will get you some very nice klipsch speakers used or maybe even brand new, but I wouldn't go any lower than their REFERENCE series. the cheaper klipsch is junk.

post #27 of 41 Old 09-21-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excusemaker View Post

KLIPSCH is the brand you should look at. nothing beats a klipsch for the money and the repair parts are easy to get for them too if you blow a driver.

I haven't blown speakers since I was a 19 year old. Are Klipsch really that easy to blow the drivers?

Also, there are plenty of speakers that are equivalent to Klipsch for the money. Just depends on what someone wants out of their speakers. Usually when people make statement like that their speaker is the best ever that beats everything else, I imagine that they haven't heard any other speakers or have very limited experience. LOL

post #28 of 41 Old 09-21-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I haven't blown speakers since I was a 19 year old. Are Klipsch really that easy to blow the drivers?

Also, there are plenty of speakers that are equivalent to Klipsch for the money. Just depends on what someone wants out of their speakers. Usually when people make statement like that their speaker is the best ever that beats everything else, I imagine that they haven't heard any other speakers or have very limited experience. LOL

i'm sorry you misunderstood me. perhaps I could have written it in clearer English. in my opinion KLIPSCH is the best speaker for the money. if that doesn't make sense then perhaps I could state it this way, "in my opinion KLIPSCH is the best 'value' when it comes to loud speakers". I never said they were the best speakers out there, but I do honestly believe that you get the biggest overall bang for the buck with klipsch speakers.

are klipsch drivers easy to blow? I don't know. the last time I blew a klipsch speaker it was a KLIPSCH KLF 30 tower speaker. I was pushing a pair of them with a Monster Power 2250 power amplifier. the meters read over 900 watts that I was pushing into them. the mid range horn went first and then the tweeter horn on the right side. I turned it down before I blew the other side. the woofers did not blow. the simple fact that I was able to get replacement drivers for my klipsch KLF 30 tower speakers with great ease is why I made the statement that they are easy to get parts for. when is the last time you pushed 900 watts into a tower speaker? did it blow?

when it comes to loudspeakers the only speakers I have ever owned besides klipsch were the JBL LX 300 book shelf speakers that I ran as satelites with a pair of cerwin vega HT 110 passive subwoofers. the sound was pretty good for the level of speaker I was running. I've also had the BOSE 901's and while they were "OK", they became doggy dung real quick the first time I heard a KLIPSCH CORNWALL 2. I then later purchased my very first set of klipsch loudspeakers - the legend series KLF 30. its still the best speaker I've ever heard. I later went surround sound and added a klipsch RC-7 for the center channel, a klipsch RSW 15 for the subwoofer, and a pair of klipsch ksb 3.5's that I ceiling mounted for rears. I was very fond of the setup, however it wasn't very well balanced. I had too much money into my front end and not enough into the rear. it wasn't a very well balanced system for surround sound. my current system i'm running a much better "balanced" system and for the money its definitely competitive with much more expensive systems. i'm currently running the klipsch 5800w for my front speakers in the wall, klipsch 5800c for my rear speakers in the ceiling, a klipsch rc 52 for the center channel (front and rear) and a klipsch rw 10 for the subwoofer. this is my main theater zone sound system and its in my garage. its powered off of an ADCOM 7400 5 channel power amplifier that's hooked up to my denon 3313 network receiver.

now... for the money its a great "value". to get a better performance by another name you will spend twice as much money.

a lower level speaker that I heard a long time ago that impressed me were the ENERGY tower speakers. they were quite impressive for the price range which was comparable to the consumer level infinity and jbl loudspeakers which I like as well, but the energy loudspeakers just seemed so much more clearer in sound. of course, none of those could touch the legend series klipsch. the current reference series klipsch as you know replaced the legend series.

perhaps I do lack experience which I will freely admit, however I indicated the "VALUE" associated with performance vs how much you want to spend. I stand firm on the value of klipsch in that its the best you can get for the money. if you have something different to offer i'm all ears.

post #29 of 41 Old 09-21-2013, 04:25 PM

Cool, thanks.
post #30 of 41 Old 09-21-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excusemaker View Post

perhaps I do lack experience which I will freely admit, however I indicated the "VALUE" associated with performance vs how much you want to spend. I stand firm on the value of klipsch in that its the best you can get for the money. if you have something different to offer i'm all ears.

I would not make the claim that any one speaker brand is THE best value for the money. I have enough experience and have read enough reviews and testimonials to know that is ABSOLUTELY not true.

That being said, some speakers may be a better choice depending on the room size and use context. Dee02130 doesn't seem to have a particularly large room, nor has he expressed in an interest in getting the absolute loudest speakers he can for the money, so quite a few models could be a good choice for his money. His individual listening preferences will make the most difference here.

Meanwhile, I already recommended some speakers in response to him rolleyes.gif As for Klipsch, I don't recommend them most of the time because they are a love 'em or hate 'em kind of speaker. MANY people (search the forum) have purchased them and later found them to be fatiguing. It's an individual preference thing, but not a preference for SQ. So IMO, more risky to buy without hearing them.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page