Need to downsize. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. So I ordered an Onkyo TX-NR818 receiver for a new living room setup. The room is about 12 by 15 feet with 8 foot ceilings. I have a 5.1 setup with a bunch of old JBL bookshelf speakers. I am looking to put in smaller speakers in the 5.1 setup. Been looking at Focal, Energy, DefTech and some others. Looking for the best set for my money which is probably $1,500 or less. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Does the $1500 budget include a sub?

Just for HT or do you also want something good for listening to music?

"I am looking to put in smaller speakers" Do you have any size restrictions or preferences?
post #3 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

The $1,500 would be for the 5 speakers and not the sub. Sorry, I meant to say they were mostly for movie/home theater use but for music as well. Possibly small bookshelf or good cube type size. I was never a fan of the little cubes personally.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
IMO the front speakers can't be too small or the idea of "Home Theater" is contradicted..

How small do you think your front speakers need to be...and is that too small...lol?

Four of the Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 speakers would be a good start, plus a Cambridge Audio S50 center speaker.

Too big for your concept?
post #5 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Liked: 21
At that price and wanting small speakers, I'd look into the Paradigm Milleniaone, you'll need a good sub, everything I read about them the reviewer comes away really impressed with them. Actually, I almost went with the Milleniaone before going with Ascend Sierra-1.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/paradigm-milleniaone-speaker-system

http://www.digitaltrends.com/speaker-system-reviews/paradigm-milleniaone-5-0-system-with-milleniasub-review/

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-report-paradigm-milleniaone-speakers-milleniasub-subwoofer

Also for $1100 on that avr I would return it for a NAD, Anthem or Marantz
post #6 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by bysdontcry View Post

The $1,500 would be for the 5 speakers and not the sub. Sorry, I meant to say they were mostly for movie/home theater use but for music as well. Possibly small bookshelf or good cube type size. I was never a fan of the little cubes personally.
One option >
Buy 3 pair of the Focal 705V - they are nice. Use 1 speaker as a center,
and keep the other as a spare - Cheaper and better this way.
http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/34398

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

There are some fine sounding satellite speakers out there (Focal Dome, Paradigm MilleniaOne) but they are very expensive comparatively. You'll get a lot more speaker (i.e. better sound quality) for your money if you can go with bookshelf speakers.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

There are some fine sounding satellite speakers out there (Focal Dome, Paradigm MilleniaOne) but they are very expensive comparatively. You'll get a lot more speaker (i.e. better sound quality) for your money if you can go with bookshelf speakers.

I don't think the Paradigm MilleniaOne lack anywhere in sound quality and can run with bookshelf speakers in this price range($250 per speaker) I think it would be pretty hard to find a speaker at $250 that can out perform the MilleniaOne... they use the Studio tweeter and similar casing found in their signature line. The only problem with the MilleniaOne is that you need a good sub with them and a higher crossover around 100. I think with the OP wanting smaller speakers and in this $1500 price range I don't think there's a better speaker than the MilleniaOne for him. When I heard them I couldn't believe it was a satellite speaker, it belittles it size.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Higher sub crossover is a large part of what I was referring to re the sound quality difference. Granted excellent tweeters, good imagining and detail, good higher-mid's, are the same regardless of speaker size. But to my ears a sub has a much less desirable timbre in 90-150 range than that of a 5" or 6" driver found in (good) bookshelf speakers. (Not to mention in that range you can start to get localization issues that can diminish imaging somewhat.) You mention a 100 crossover, but Paradigm's specs for the MilleniaOne's only rate it down to 120?

Don't get me wrong - both the MilleniaOne's and the Focal Dome's have received universally good reviews and I've actually been eager to audition them. Price is the only reason I haven't yet. I haven't been able to find the MilleniaOne or the Focal Dome for less than $350 each in the US. And, there are some excellent full-range bookshelf speakers in the $700 a pair range.

BTW, please post where the MilleniaOne can be had for $250 - I would like to audition them! Always happy to be proven wrong ; )
post #10 of 12 Old 01-09-2013, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

How does everyone feel about Definitive Technology speakers? I hear good things but have never heard them. Thinking about it I would definitely rather have small bookshelf rather than cubes/satellites.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-09-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:

How does everyone feel about Definitive Technology speakers? I hear good things but have never heard them. Thinking about it I would definitely rather have small bookshelf rather than cubes/satellites.

They appear to be on the expensive side for what they are.

In bookshelf speakers my benchmark is the highly regarded (by Stereophile and my own listening) Infinity Primus P163.

The closest thing in the Def Tech line appears to be the Monitor 800 which is a tiny little speaker with a 4 1/2" woofer (if you can call that a woofer!)

I've had speaker systems with woofers that small (such as the highly regarded NHT SuperZero) and they can be pleasant enough to listen to within their obvious limits. No real bass!

OTOH my benchmark speaker which is still a convenient size has a 6 1/2" woofer and while I always recommend that it be used with a subwoofer if possible, it does actually have some bass.

Furthermore, there is the extant Stereophile review and while I don't buy all of their subjectivist stuff, the measurements speak for themselves. As far as the Def Techs go - AFAIK mystery meat.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:

I would look at the Focal Sib - if you want somewhat small
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4905-focal-sib-compact-speaker-pr.aspx

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page