What subwoofer are people pairing with Monitor 70 Series II Speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Comment to the Mods: if this is a thread better located in the Subwoofer forum, please advice and accept my apologies. I've already got the 70's, which get a good bit of discussion on here, so I thought this might be a good place to ask.

My situation:
Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR
Polk Monitor 70 Series II Floorstanding Fronts (40 Hz Min Response)
Polk TSi-Series CS10 Center (to be delivered today) (53 Hz Min Response)
Polk RM-6751 Rears (100 Hz Min Response)
Room is 20'x24', but ~65% of the "back" of that room has no wall; the floor simply transitions from carpet to hardwood for the Kitchen/Dinette area, and the physical wall is actually 40' away.

I'm currently using the subwoofer that came with the Polk RM-6750 6-speaker set., and I'm looking to upgrade. As you can see above, I've already upgraded the Fronts (and the improvement was significant), and will have the new Center installed sometime this week.

I would think things like Timber Matching are not a concern for a Subwoofer the way it is for matching your Fronts with your Center? Is there any reason why buying a Polk subwoofer would be considerably more advantageous than just looking for a good deal on any good sub in my price range?

I'm not looking to rattle the walls with boomy bass, but I do hope to have a little *punch* when watching an action flick. Since the Monitor 70's go down to 40 Hz, I don't expect this sub to play much of any role in music listening, but if it were, I'd be more concerned about *accuracy* than *boom*.

For budget, I'm very comfortable around $250, but could come up to as much as $400 if given a good enough a reason.

Any general guidelines and/or specific recommendations for what to pair with my setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-15-2013, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've got the PSW505 sub for $190 which is recommended by many folks in here. I havent bought the M70's though - no stock.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 388
For $250 or less

Bic F12
Polk PSW505

Under $400
BIC PL200
Klipsch RW-12d
Hsu STF-2 (more musical than previous subs mentioned if that matters)
Cadence CSX-12

If they ever get them back in stock at the $399 price this would easily be the recommended sub.
http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html
psuKinger likes this.

Afro GT
post #4 of 6 Old 01-16-2013, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
When I bought my pair of M70's for a total of $321.00 shipped. My wife bought me the Klipsch RW-12D sub for my early xmas present. It was on sale after tax it came out to $321.00 as well biggrin.gif I am currently waiting for the CS2 to go on sale again.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

For $250 or less

Bic F12
Polk PSW505

Under $400
BIC PL200
Klipsch RW-12d
Hsu STF-2 (more musical than previous subs mentioned if that matters)
Cadence CSX-12

If they ever get them back in stock at the $399 price this would easily be the recommended sub.
http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html

I was able to get some input on this over on the Subwoofer forum. I had all but decided on the Klipsch RW-12d over the BIC PL-200 and the PA-150 (also got recommendations for the BIC F-12 at the pricepoint you mentioned, too), and was all geared up to sit tight and wait for it to go on sale again at NewEgg, until I learned about SVS and discovered they are available on Amazon. Although the PB-1000 costs $499, I had $87 in Amazon points to redeem. So although that still means I spent $500, it affects the budget as a $400 purchase... cheating, I know. But I convinced myself to step up to the bigger sub, and the $87 redemption is what allowed me to sleep at night, so whatever. It arrives on Friday, and I can't wait. Hopefully it wasn't a mistake. According to the subwoofer forum, the RW-12d has plenty of *bang-for-the-buck*, but can struggle to keep up and remain articulate for demanding music tracks. It is my hope/understanding that the SVS sub will do better in this regard.

Thanks for the input, though. Several of the subs you mentioned were likewise recommended over on the Subwoofer forum.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

When I bought my pair of M70's for a total of $321.00 shipped. My wife bought me the Klipsch RW-12D sub for my early xmas present. It was on sale after tax it came out to $321.00 as well biggrin.gif I am currently waiting for the CS2 to go on sale again.

Excellent! As I detailed above, I was all but set to pair my Monitor 70's with that Klipsch RW-12d as well, until I got sold on stepping up to an SVS PB-1000.

I wanted a CS2/CS20, but the "hole" for the center channel speaker in my home theater is like an inch too narrow and a half inch too shallow... the CS10 was just a shade smaller, and fits about perfectly into the space. So far, I'm pleased, but the true test will be when I get the new sub hooked up. Hopefully the CS10 will be able to hold it's own against the Monitor 70's and PB-1000.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page