Emotiva Airmotiv. 4 or 5? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

After much back-and-forth between active speakers and amp+passive speakers options, I have finally made up my mind.

Currently I'm using Creative Gigaworks T20, and I'm looking to upgrade to Emotiva's Airmotiv series which should serve my purposes well.

What I am stuck on, however, is choosing between Airmotiv 4 and 5.

To help you guys help me, here is the situation

I can get Airmotiv 4 for $299 locally, and Airmotiv 5 for $399 online.
I will use these speakers with Mac Mini.
Mostly used in low to medium volume.
50% Music, 50% Movies/TV shows.

PS: If you have any recommendation for a preamp/dac, please let me know!

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 635
I just posted in your other thread smile.gif

If you have room for them, go with the Airmotiv 5s with the bigger driver. You'll get better bass out of them. And they won't need a sub like the Paradigm MilleniaOne's will. I think you'd probably be very happy with either Airmotiv, though, as an improvement over the T20.

For a DAC, check out the Schitt Audio Modi. I've heard some really good things about it. If you would like a small, portable DAC, the ODAC. Probably fairly equivalent to the Modi, but very useful if you want a DAC to take on the go for some reason or you simply want the small size.

post #3 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Guys. I had the GigaWorks T40 II and the Airmotiv 5's blow them out of the water. The T40 didn't even hold a candle to the 18-year-old powered speakers I was using before the Airmotiv 5.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #4 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I just posted in your other thread smile.gif

If you have room for them, go with the Airmotiv 5s with the bigger driver. You'll get better bass out of them. And they won't need a sub like the Paradigm MilleniaOne's will. I think you'd probably be very happy with either Airmotiv, though, as an improvement over the T20.

For a DAC, check out the Schitt Audio Modi. I've heard some really good things about it. If you would like a small, portable DAC, the ODAC. Probably fairly equivalent to the Modi, but very useful if you want a DAC to take on the go for some reason or you simply want the small size.

Haha thank you for both threads!!

As you probably figured out I've been pretty torn between Receiver + Passive vs. Dac + Active option. Do you have any passive speakers set up that will hold water against airmotiv 5's?
post #5 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schung View Post

As you probably figured out I've been pretty torn between Receiver + Passive vs. Dac + Active option. Do you have any passive speakers set up that will hold water against airmotiv 5's?

I tried a pair of Definitive Technology SM55's ( $600 a pair ) along with my XPR-5 when I got them. That was a better setup than the Airmotiv 5 but the amp and speakers were for my main room. There will always be something better. It just depends on the amount of money you put into it. I'd say the Airmotiv 5's are hard to beat at the $350 I paid for them. I only got 3 dB more at reference levels with the SM55/XPR-5 combo, but I was running 25' 10 gauge wire to them. LOL

I'm just running the Airmotiv 5's right out of the computer's 3.5mm analog out that has the Analog Devices AD889 chipset on-board. Can't get any simpler than that. LOL

HD-DVD = 94
post #6 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by schung View Post

I think for $399 you'd be hard to beat the Airmotiv's with a passive speaker/receive combo for SQ alone. Of course with the receiver, you are getting a built-in DAC.

The thing to think about is the other differences. Powered speakers take up much less space, which is a big plus. An AVR will have bass management should you ever want to buy a sub, and if you get the right one with room correction (not all room correction software will run for 2 channel), it would also help smooth the frequency response of the speakers. Some people say the amplifier is better in powered monitors because it is matched to the speakers, but I don't, know how much that is true at this price point (I suspect that's more of a factor with very expensive studio monitors).

And then there is upgrades. Every time you buy powered speakers, you are paying for new electronics, too. If you get an AVR, then if you get the upgrade bug, just replace the speakers. Or you can always repurpose the AVR for use with a 5.1 setup later on, or use the passive speakers in one.

Then it all comes down to this. Speaker choice is very subjective. What sound you prefer can be different from me. So you can only get so close to a decision from listening to all of us. The next step (and I saw you were thinking about that) is to actually hear and compare a couple of setups.

post #7 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

I tried a pair of Definitive Technology SM55's ( $600 a pair ) along with my XPR-5 when I got them. That was a better setup than the Airmotiv 5 but the amp and speakers were for my main room. There will always be something better. It just depends on the amount of money you put into it. I'd say the Airmotiv 5's are hard to beat at the $350 I paid for them. I only got 3 dB more at reference levels with the SM55/XPR-5 combo, but I was running 25' 10 gauge wire to them. LOL

I'm just running the Airmotiv 5's right out of the computer's 3.5mm analog out that has the Analog Devices AD889 chipset on-board. Can't get any simpler than that. LOL

I forgot to mention at a similar price level as Airmotiv 5's :P
post #8 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

FYI. I got a post card from Emotiva a couple of weeks ago. They will have a 10% off promo code between 1-15 and 2-15. Not sure if it will be a published code or not.

HD-DVD = 94
post #9 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

FYI. I got a post card from Emotiva a couple of weeks ago. They will have a 10% off promo code between 1-15 and 2-15. Not sure if it will be a published code or not.

hm... current deals are more than 10% off though
post #10 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 AM

Liked: 23
We use the airmotiv 5 in a hobby room. I really like them. There's something so right about them. So right that I am thinking of using the stealth 8 for our HT in stead of passive towers.

I have another pair of airmotiv 5 (and an XDA-1) still boxed up (for a bedroom in a house that's far from ready) so I will probably hook them up to this iMac for the time being. I suppose the "4" are all you need sitting behind your computer, but the "5" will give that bit more oomph with double the power of the "4"...

I want Auro-3D 13.3 Surround!
post #11 of 16 Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

I'm looking at some Airmotiv 4s. I've emailed Emotiva 3 times in the last week with some questions and to see if they're running a promo but am not getting a response. Did they ever send you that code?

post #12 of 16 Old 02-14-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 449
they are having a warehouse sale right now....but you need to call them:cool:

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

post #13 of 16 Old 02-14-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

they are having a warehouse sale right now....but you need to call them:cool:
I called them and bought a pair of Airmotiv 4s. The warehouse sale is on all factory refurbished and demo/display equipment. You get the same 5 year warranty as you would if buying new but not the 30 day trial or free shipping. So it's a pretty good deal if you're certain what you want. Even with shipping I saved $74 so thanks again for the heads up.

post #14 of 16 Old 02-14-2013, 08:59 AM

I've owned the Airmotiv 4's for about a year now. They are definitely an incredible set of speakers. In terms of bass, placement is key as they are rear ported cabinets. At an optimum distance from the wall, these leave little to be desired in terms of bass (watching movies, listening to music, what have you). The sound on them is excellent and they are very crisp and clear. I auditioned a set of the Paradigm Shift (atom) powered monitors about two weeks ago and was very impressed, also. In my opinion, they blow the Airmotiv 4's out of the water. This is partly due to the larger driver size and built in DAC, but man oh man. If you have the money, I'd go for the Paradigms. They start at 279/ea and if you go for a gloss finish one it's going to be 329/ea. Entirely worth it if you're going to be spending a lot of time using them. Overall, though, you can't go wrong with either. If money is an issue, go for the Airmotiv 4's. If it's not, go with the Paradigms. I can't comment on the Airmotiv 5's but I can tell you that I'd be surprised if they held a candle to the Paradigms. Hope this helps.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Those Paradigms sure look nice but unfortunately they're about the same size as the Airmotiv 5 and Audioengine A5+ so too big for my needs.

post #16 of 16 Old 07-10-2013, 10:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolatileC5z View Post

I've owned the Airmotiv 4's for about a year now. They are definitely an incredible set of speakers. In terms of bass, placement is key as they are rear ported cabinets. At an optimum distance from the wall, these leave little to be desired in terms of bass (watching movies, listening to music, what have you). The sound on them is excellent and they are very crisp and clear. I auditioned a set of the Paradigm Shift (atom) powered monitors about two weeks ago and was very impressed, also. In my opinion, they blow the Airmotiv 4's out of the water. This is partly due to the larger driver size and built in DAC, but man oh man. If you have the money, I'd go for the Paradigms. They start at 279/ea and if you go for a gloss finish one it's going to be 329/ea. Entirely worth it if you're going to be spending a lot of time using them. Overall, though, you can't go wrong with either. If money is an issue, go for the Airmotiv 4's. If it's not, go with the Paradigms. I can't comment on the Airmotiv 5's but I can tell you that I'd be surprised if they held a candle to the Paradigms. Hope this helps.

The Shift A2's have a built in DAC? Or did you mean DSP?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page