Looking for Wood Grain High Gloss Finish - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi Guys. Currently have a few setups at home, with best speakers being Energy RC-70 in a 2.1 music setup. We will be renovating the room to hardwood floors this spring, and at some point, the RC70s will be migrated down to the HT and I want something nice for the living room to take their position. I was thinking something along the lines of Veritas 6.2 or 6.3 in Rosenut Gloss, but I am in Canada and refuse to pay the asking price here when I have seen the prices so low in the USA. I am looking for recommendations along the sound quality of RC-70 or Veritas 6.3, but I want it to match the decor as well, with some sort of wood gloss finish. Thanks, I look forward to your responses.
EDIT: Will look at Gloss Black (Piano) Finish as well. Not sure if I can change the thread title now...

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Axiom offers custom wood finished of all sorts. Different wood types, stains, finish. I have a few and they do a very nice job. If you like the way they sound, that's a whole different matter.
post #3 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 95
You going to have to post a budget for what you want to spend. Axiom would work out but realize that those glossy custom options can add several hundred to $1k to the final price. I think the M80s would be close in performance but with you wanting wood gloss finish like Rosewood you would be around $2500-2800 for a pair of M80s.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/index.php?loudspeakers=swan-diva&cPath=21_22 Great prices and nice sounding speakers. Piano Gloss black bases and top plates with Gloss/Semi Rosewood.
post #4 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 605
The new Martin Logan series is available in wood grain.

http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/models/towers.php
caper_1 likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #5 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I'm not sure that your gloss wood finish is a great idea.

It will never match the flooring, and that results in a clash rather than harmony.

Monitor audio has a choice of several wood finishes, but they also have a gloss black and a gloss white. That might be something to consider. Their Silver BX-6 is very good.

In Canada, of course, PSB speakers is headquartered and has many dealers. Their black ash finish is very nice and would go well with any hardwood floor.

The PSB Image T6 speaker is 10 times the speaker compared to the RC-70. There is almost no comparison.

Read the articles on them in Stereophile and The Absolute Sound, which repeatedly picked them as the speaker for Recommended Systems and a Speaker of the Year; no mention whatsoever of anything by Energy, and rightfully so....strictly a mediocre product when high sound quality is the goal.
post #6 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

no mention whatsoever of anything by Energy, and rightfully so....strictly a mediocre product when high sound quality is the goal.

Do you think Stereophile goes out and buys the speakers to review?? Hell No they are paid by the companies to give good reviews of products. Energy didn't provide them with anything products to review, thats why theres no mention of them. The Energy RC line was a good line and competed well in it price range against, Paradigm, PSB, Monitor, Ascend, Aperion, Martin Logan, Polk ect..... They are now discontinued because Energy was purchased by Klipsch and then Klipsch was purchased by Audiovox (JUNK) so the good quality Energy stuff is no more like the RC line and Veritas. Current Energy stuff isn't what it use to be and is far from high quality.

But this notion that if it doesn't have a presence at Stereophile that some how its not worthy or of high quality is absurd.
post #7 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Quote:

no mention whatsoever of anything by Energy, and rightfully so....strictly a mediocre product when high sound quality is the goal.

Do you think Stereophile goes out and buys the speakers to review?? Hell No.

True, but hardly unique to SP. As a rule any magazine or other publication (web) that gets recognized as having a sufficient following gets offered products to review. Some vendors are pretty picky about getting their product back after the review, and others don't ever want to be bothered with it again. Some review copies are early production (IOW not a lot more than prototypes) and products that are sold may be a bit more cleaned up.
Quote:
they are paid by the companies to give good reviews of products.

Generally not directly. Running an ad in the magazine might help a vendor's situation. AFAIK SP has a policy that anything they review has to have a reasonable number of dealers of suitable stature which may or may not have additional advertising connections implied.
Quote:
Energy didn't provide them with anything products to review, thats why theres no mention of them.

Probably exactly right.
Quote:
The Energy RC line was a good line and competed well in it price range against, Paradigm, PSB, Monitor, Ascend, Aperion, Martin Logan, Polk ect..... They are now discontinued because Energy was purchased by Klipsch and then Klipsch was purchased by Audiovox (JUNK) so the good quality Energy stuff is no more like the RC line and Veritas. Current Energy stuff isn't what it use to be and is far from high quality.

Common concern:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/audiovox-to-buy-klipsch-we-cant-help-but-worry/

The Energy purchase is described here:

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/audiovox-buys-klipsch-mirage

Quote:
But this notion that if it doesn't have a presence at Stereophile that some how its not worthy or of high quality is absurd.

Agreed.
post #8 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

True, but hardly unique to SP. As a rule any magazine or other publication (web) that gets recognized as having a sufficient following gets offered products to review.

Yes I agree that its more than just SP. But theres this recurring theme that if Stereophile has not awarded a product with 5 stars "whatever" that its somehow inferior and is a slap in the face if its recommended.

I myself don't follow in lockstep with any of those online mag/review sites. It should only be use as a guide not a bible.
post #9 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I toured Axiom's factory last summer & had a look inside of their paint booth where an M60 was hanging from the ceiling. I can see why they cost so much more than the normal offerings. These finishes take an massive amount of labour & time to produce - all at North American wages. I believe that Axiom applies a dozen or so coats of their clear finish with ample curing & hand polishing in between - takes about a month. They are quite stunning when done; however, unfortunately, I don't have any of these fine pieces of furniture, ha!

No doubt that these types of finishes can be done for far less overseas & probably represent the best bargain for consumers over here.

TAM
post #10 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 138
You might have a look at EMP. Their finishes are very nice. Ive had experience with the Energy C-500's & RC-10 and the e55ti's best them easily in my opinion. YMMV, but they do offer a 30-day free trial. Might post in the emp thread to see if anyone is in canada.

Focal 814v from A4L might also be a looker for ya.

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #11 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Not sure of your budget, but Salk sound can do any number of custom finishes. Also, I think Tekton Designs does custom work. Finally, Aperion just introduced a custom finish upgrade for their Versus Grand towers.

post #12 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure that your gloss wood finish is a great idea.

The PSB Image T6 speaker is 10 times the speaker compared to the RC-70. There is almost no comparison.

Paying $1300 for speakers covered in vinyl is crazy. At that price there are many real wood or high gloss finished speakers that are just as good or better. The cheap vinyl "ash" colored covering would prevent me from ever buying these speakers for any more than about $600 for the pair. That's about what they should be retailing for.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #13 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

True, but hardly unique to SP. As a rule any magazine or other publication (web) that gets recognized as having a sufficient following gets offered products to review.

Yes I agree that its more than just SP. But theres this recurring theme that if Stereophile has not awarded a product with 5 stars "whatever" that its somehow inferior and is a slap in the face if its recommended.

I myself don't follow in lockstep with any of those online mag/review sites. It should only be use as a guide not a bible.

+1
post #14 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I would take anything commsysman says with not just a grain of salt, but a ton of salt! He reads the magazines and quotes them as the bible without having real world experiences..., but I'm sure caper1 knows this already.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #15 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints View Post

I would take anything commsysman says with not just a grain of salt, but a ton of salt! He reads the magazines and quotes them as the bible without having real world experiences..., but I'm sure caper1 knows this already.

I only take issue with the fact that he puts his opinion above everyone elses because, he read the latest edition of Stereophile. While making comments about others opinions, its all junk if Commsysman hasn't recommended it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Paying $1300 for speakers covered in vinyl is crazy. At that price there are many real wood or high gloss finished speakers that are just as good or better. The cheap vinyl "ash" colored covering would prevent me from ever buying these speakers for any more than about $600 for the pair. That's about what they should be retailing for.

I wouldn't go that far. The PSB and Monitor Audio are great speakers, high quality crossover components, drivers, cabinets. The T6 is a good value at around $1k-1,200, $600 is stretching it a bit. I myself would rather buy a basic vinyl speaker with technology crammed in to make it sound great than to buy a speaker thats kind of meh in order to get a fancy glossy finish.

Fancy glossy finish doesn't mean good sounding/good value and vinyl wrapped speakers don't equal crappy sounding/bad value. I'll take a well designed, high quality component vinyl speaker over a hollow, massed produced fancy looking speaker any day.
post #16 of 28 Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am looking for the sound integrity of the RC70's but with a nice finish. The Veritas 6.3's were $1,800 EACH at futureshop, and as we all know, that is not a very good "bang for buck". however, I did SEE them in rosenut gloss and it was just amazing. I must say though, the finish of "black ash" is not my cup of tea, and of course, this is personal preference. You may LOVE the finish, but I prefer the gloss along with the sound quality. I don't need exceptional sound quality since I do not do a lot of 'critical listening', so I am using the 70's as a baseline. I do like a brighter sound, and EQ them a bit, so a brighter speaker is acceptable too. I will be running a 2.1 system with a nice sealed sub as well (Monitor Audio)

Keep in mind that I am in Canada when making recommendations. I check out the suggestions this weekend. Thank you for those who have posted and keep the ideas flowing.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #17 of 28 Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
These finishes are wonderful & I'd love to have some; however, the 'bang for the buck' factor (that is highly important to me also) dramatically drops due to the labour costs involved to produce these works of art. They look great but there is no increase of performance from the standard finishes.

Since you are in Canada, you might look at Axiom to see what their high-end finishes cost. Some say they are far too high, but from what I saw, they were quite magnificent to my eye. The only problem with ID is the inability to audition them & the issues that may arise if you decide that they aren't for you...

TAM
post #18 of 28 Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes black ash/oak vinyl isn't for everyone. But I just wanted to clear it up that a finish doesn't make or break a speaker sound wise.

Have you though about Monitor Audio for your mains too, so they would match the subwoofer? Finding a dealer close by might be able to get you a great deal on a set of Monitors. If you like a forward/brighter sound I would also check out Paradigm and PSB. To me they seem to have crystal clear highs that have a little sizzle to them.
post #19 of 28 Old 01-11-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Look at Monitor Audio, Focal and even PSB - they make some nice stuff.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #20 of 28 Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Available Locally (well, 1.5 hr drive each way)

PSB

Monitor Audio

Videoworld world is a little closer (45 mins) - Paradigm & "Momentum"?
Best Buy and Futureshop are also options, but haven't looked there yet...

RC70's for $400 ea are very tempting, even though they are only in Black Ash

EDIT: Holy. I lied. Just had a quick peek at the Martin Logan Motion 40's in Gloss Cherry. They look sweeeeeet. But are they in the ballpark for sound as the RC70s ?

post #21 of 28 Old 01-11-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a set of Wharfdale Opus 2.2's in piano black. Lovely speakers, both sound and appearance. They also have rosewood and maple. A bit spendy though. So many choices....... The Axioms I have are walnut and cherry, satin finish to reduce reflections from the projector in a light controlled room.
post #22 of 28 Old 01-11-2013, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Swan Divas come in a beautiful rosewood finish. I have a pair and i'm in Canada (had them shipped). I'm not recommending them, only letting you know what is available. You need to listen to anything before you buy.
post #23 of 28 Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischaos View Post

Swan Divas come in a beautiful rosewood finish. I have a pair and i'm in Canada (had them shipped). I'm not recommending them, only letting you know what is available. You need to listen to anything before you buy.
Gents (and ladies). Please pass on retailers and URLs so I can check availability, pictures, specs, etc. Thank you ! wink.gif

post #24 of 28 Old 01-11-2013, 11:25 AM

post #25 of 28 Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Very tempting. Those look like great speakers, exactly along the lines I am looking for so thank you for that suggestion. The only problem is across border shipping. This is very uneconomical if I were to return these inside the 30-day trial. Too bad there are no Canadian outlets. That price seems magnificent for the 6.2s if they sound decent. Can you comment on the shipping price, choice of shipper, total duty, etc?

post #26 of 28 Old 01-11-2013, 12:54 PM

Not really. Contact Jon at the audio insider via phone or email. He would be able to provide you with a shipping quote, The speakers would likely come freight so add another 3-500 for shipping and taxes duty (just a guess). Duty would have to be paid as they are not manufactured in the USA. You pay tax on everything you import (or purchase domestically) so that doesn't really matter. Before i would even think about these, i would audition speakers that are local to you. See what you like and don't like. If you find some you like, ask around or do a AVS thread search comparing sounds between speakers. You will read glowing reviews on here about a ton of different speakers. None of them matter. Figure out what you like, then see what kind of finish you can get them in.
post #27 of 28 Old 01-11-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The Martin Logans are available at Best Buy with Magnolia stores so you should be able to demo some.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #28 of 28 Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 View Post

Very tempting. Those look like great speakers, exactly along the lines I am looking for so thank you for that suggestion. The only problem is across border shipping. This is very uneconomical if I were to return these inside the 30-day trial. Too bad there are no Canadian outlets. That price seems magnificent for the 6.2s if they sound decent. Can you comment on the shipping price, choice of shipper, total duty, etc?

You can add any product to the cart at The Audio Insider and then register like your going to purchase and you can see all the shipping options before checking out, without purchasing. They are all real time quotes and at least for me I had about 6 or 7 different shipping options available to me but i'm in Ohio.

But I agree that before buying anything online to go out and listen and try to find some deals at the retail stores. But before going out I would get final prices with shipping for anything you might be interested in online, from Swan, Aperion, Axiom, ect... That way you have some idea of what things will cost online vs retailers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Rc 70 Floorstanding Speaker Black Ash Veneer , Speaker Systems , Energy V6 2 Floorstanding Speaker 2 5 Way Veritas Series Floorstanding Speaker , Energy V 6 3 Tower Speaker Single 3 Way Veritas Series Floorstanding Speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page