Help with suggestions for a 5.1 setup $300-$400? for a Yamaha RX-V473 receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-10-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
undermined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I'm trying to help my uncle configure a new home theater setup but he has a kinda large room, a big WAF issue with tower speakers and a budget.

t's 12' x 27' x 9' with tapers on each side of the length going the 27'. With a Western facing window of average size.
The screen would be at the other end.
If you were to look at it from the end, it would be like a barn shape

pretty sure it was carpeted too, Iv'e never seen the space in person since my uncle is in a different state.

He already went and bought a Yamaha RX-V473 that has room correction:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v473_black_u/

He told me tower speakers are out because the wife wants nothing larger than a 16 inch tall speaker.

I tried to explain that a humans head is normally 3.5'-4' off the ground and one of the reasons tower speakers are tall is to have the drivers inline with your ears and that if you want sound the speaker have to be somewhere in the room. I was also trying to explain that tiny little speakers would produce tiny little sound and since they have a fairly large room, even if they don't turn up the volume a lot, bigger speakers will produce a clearer intelligible dialogue at lower levels and smaller speakers might not suit them well if they have to turn them way up just to enjoy the dialogue.

The response was pretty much what you would expect, wife's opinion of decor trumps physics and reality because she said so.

All that said, I'm looking to get a couple suggestions on a ok set of bookshelf sized speakers and a sub for them that would work ok.

I don't think they are planing anything near reference levels, just wanted a setup to entertain the kids for movies and some video games at home instead of them being at a neighbors.

I keep seeing the Energy take's, the Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 , the Andrew Jones pioneer set and the MartinLogan MLT-2 Home Theater System but I'm really not sure what small speakers to tell him to just buy.

I know placing the sub in the room is going to be a big compromise so I was thinking the mains would be better if they at least could have a ok crossover point so the sub doesn't have to be producing strong directional mid-bass but I also know to not be picky unless he can budget for it else I'd have him spend more.

Are the above mentioned setups passable or are there some other sets that would possible work better for his space or budget?

I do understand that a 5 channel set and a separate sub might also be a option instead of a matched 5.1 setup but when I started to look at subs it didn't seem that I'd find a decent one and the remaining 5 speakers and still stay in the $300-$400 range.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
undermined is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bladerunner6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by undermined View Post

So I'm trying to help my uncle configure a new home theater setup but he has a kinda large room, a big WAF issue with tower speakers and a budget.

t's 12' x 27' x 9' with tapers on each side of the length going the 27'. With a Western facing window of average size.
The screen would be at the other end.
If you were to look at it from the end, it would be like a barn shape

pretty sure it was carpeted too, Iv'e never seen the space in person since my uncle is in a different state.

He already went and bought a Yamaha RX-V473 that has room correction:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v473_black_u/

He told me tower speakers are out because the wife wants nothing larger than a 16 inch tall speaker.

I tried to explain that a humans head is normally 3.5'-4' off the ground and one of the reasons tower speakers are tall is to have the drivers inline with your ears and that if you want sound the speaker have to be somewhere in the room. I was also trying to explain that tiny little speakers would produce tiny little sound and since they have a fairly large room, even if they don't turn up the volume a lot, bigger speakers will produce a clearer intelligible dialogue at lower levels and smaller speakers might not suit them well if they have to turn them way up just to enjoy the dialogue.

The response was pretty much what you would expect, wife's opinion of decor trumps physics and reality because she said so.

All that said, I'm looking to get a couple suggestions on a ok set of bookshelf sized speakers and a sub for them that would work ok.

I don't think they are planing anything near reference levels, just wanted a setup to entertain the kids for movies and some video games at home instead of them being at a neighbors.

I keep seeing the Energy take's, the Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 , the Andrew Jones pioneer set and the MartinLogan MLT-2 Home Theater System but I'm really not sure what small speakers to tell him to just buy.

I know placing the sub in the room is going to be a big compromise so I was thinking the mains would be better if they at least could have a ok crossover point so the sub doesn't have to be producing strong directional mid-bass but I also know to not be picky unless he can budget for it else I'd have him spend more.

Are the above mentioned setups passable or are there some other sets that would possible work better for his space or budget?

I do understand that a 5 channel set and a separate sub might also be a option instead of a matched 5.1 setup but when I started to look at subs it didn't seem that I'd find a decent one and the remaining 5 speakers and still stay in the $300-$400 range.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

The WAF issues, the budget and the room size really make this a hard task.
bladerunner6 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 01-12-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,477
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 886
As long as he understands that you get what you pay for any of those you listed would be ok. None of them are going to fill a room that big with sound or anything. The Martin Logan set looks like a heck of a deal at Amazon and would be my choice. The Yamaha has plenty of power to push them. You will have to get speakers stands too which will put you over budget unless you mount them to the walls. You wouldn't be able to look at towers with that budget anyway.
Nice receiver though.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 01-13-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
undermined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

The WAF issues, the budget and the room size really make this a hard task.

Yeah, your telling me frown.gif. A

lot of factors working against him in terms of getting a room filling sound and the WAF tower prejudice isn't helping.

I did see a lot of options in cheap towers like various polk audio models and some cheap jamo towers that would easily fit the same price range given some smart shopping of frys ads or amazon.

I just didn't want to randomly pick a cheap set only to hear it is know to sound bad or that another set is money better spent.
undermined is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,477
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by undermined View Post

Yeah, your telling me frown.gif. A

lot of factors working against him in terms of getting a room filling sound and the WAF tower prejudice isn't helping.

I did see a lot of options in cheap towers like various polk audio models and some cheap jamo towers that would easily fit the same price range given some smart shopping of frys ads or amazon.

I just didn't want to randomly pick a cheap set only to hear it is know to sound bad or that another set is money better spent.
Your budget still $400?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 01-14-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,318
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I would advise anyone who wants a complete 5.1 system for under $500 to get the Martin-Logan MLT-2 system.

Unlike small systems from Energy, Polk, and several other manufacturers, it has main speakers that are capable of putting out adequate sound levels for home theater.

It also has a fairly decent subwoofer, while the others do not.
commsysman is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 01-17-2013, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
undermined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Your budget still $400?

yep or less.

I did happen to see a set of polk's I forwarded to him to consider but I haven't heard back yet so I think he missed their sale.
undermined is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 01-17-2013, 03:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,477
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Please let us know when you find something. A lot of people would like to get a 5.1 system new with towers for $400 or less.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Member
 
Katie Meadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If your budget more points, then there are more choices 1.gif
Katie Meadow is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
undermined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sigh.

All my efforts became moot because my uncle decided some old 1970's speakers with "big woofers" sound ok and he thinks he'll just use them for now.confused.gif

I'm not even going to try anymore, the fact that I understand the difference won't help him hear the difference and it's his money and setup.

The whole thing turned into a issue akin to people that watch stretched SDTV on a HDTV feed over composite cables, I change the connection over to component and tune to the HD version of the channel and explain this is the quality they paid to see and every time I come around again somehow they have the SD feed on and complain to me they it's it HD since it is digital /palmface
undermined is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,477
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 886
lol smile.gif

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 AM
Newbie
 
itz chucklez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
im a new guy here and dont know half as much as the people on here....but i stumbled across "FLUANCE" speakers that seem to be plenty big and i beleive are within your budget for the full set minus the subwoofer. here is the link

http://www.fluance.com/product/SXHTB_BK_5_Speaker_Surround_Sound_Home_Theater_System_black.eng-91.html

are they good? i dont know but for the money they cant be that bad
itz chucklez is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Member
 
Kingpin32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a yammy 473 with the pioneer towers. You can get two pair of the bs22 at best buy for 89$ per pair plus the cc for 99 bucks. It can be had cheaper. The rest you can invest into a sub.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Kingpin32 is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Yamaha Rx V473 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V473 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off