Speakers Comparable too B&W 683 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Alright, so I thought I was dead set on getting B&W 683's after demoing them last night at a local store. I did just buy HTD Level 2's but I found myself wanting a little more. I figured what the hell, Im happy with the HTD's for the most part, but figured i'd go give some higher end speakers a listen full on knowing it would result in me wanting to purchase them and doubting myself constantly.

After doing a lot of reading regarding the matching HSCT1 center and how it has a small sweet spot and the dynamic changes in audio from left to right side given the driver configuration, and really wanting to make sure everything matches as closely as possible Im looking at other alternatives.

My other consideration I can think of is the KEF Q700. I got to demo both the 683 and the Q700, and I will admit I did like the sound of the 683 a little more, I felt it was more natural and had a little more punch to it compared to the KEF, it just seemed a bit more solid and a bit more tight. I loved the sound of the Q700 by itself but had the guy switch between the two and could say I liked the sound of the 683 a bit better, but im thinking if I got them home I would love them (the Q700)

Unfortunately there is a limited selection of high end speakers I can listen to before buying around here, and I'm looking for anyone who has real experiance with these speakers and can give me something that has a similar sound to the B&W 683 around that price range, that has a good timbre matched center. After hearing the dynamic range of a higher end 3 way/ 2.5 way speaker, i just can't get over how enjoyable the sound was.

I was looking at Paradigm Monitor 9's/11 and the SE series, EMPTEK, Arx etc, but I really want to hear from someone who has some real experience with these.

I'd like to keep the price range around the same as what the B&W's would be Front L/R and Center for ~2 Grand

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 05:09 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
There is no problem with matched center for 683 - get 685 for that purpose. Pair of 683 with two pairs of 685 will make a good surround setup.

If you still like Kef, get a little higher and listen Q900.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

the guy switch between the two and could say I liked the sound of the 683 a bit better, but im thinking if I got them home I would love them (the Q700).

And I bet the guy never even LEVEL MATCH the speakers being compared. biggrin.gif

It would be best if you could audition in your house.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

And I bet the guy never even LEVEL MATCH the speakers being compared. biggrin.gif

It would be best if you could audition in your house.

There is no incentive for him to do anything of the sort, they are not commision and he was not pushing either or speaker on me, he first sat me down and had me listen to speakers before I asked to hear specific ones. The B&W's just sounded a bit more natural to me. The KEFs seemed a little harsh with some notes compared to the B&Ws

I actually found a local Paradigm Dealer tonight. They did not show up on Paradigms site the first time I looked. Unfortunately they did not have monitor 11's there, but I did have a chance to hear the monitor 7's and the Monitor 9's.

I must admit, I absoloutely love the sound of the monitor 7's, they are a little lacking on the low end, but that really does not bother me as my sub will pick up the slack, but the mid range etc just sounded SO much cleaner on the monitor 7's, I would say they sounded comparable to the 683's to what I can recall. It's been 24 hours since I heard the 683's im sure if they had B&W's at this other store I would have been able to hear and difference back and forth, but for the size, holy crap those monitor 7's pack a good sound... I'm really really thinking about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

There is no problem with matched center for 683 - get 685 for that purpose. Pair of 683 with two pairs of 685 will make a good surround setup.

If you still like Kef, get a little higher and listen Q900.

Yes there is, the 685 is not a dedicated center, it can simply be used in subsitute of the center. and while I would do this if I could, given my setup and the WAF (Wife Approval Factor) she said she does not like the thought of using that 685, she was auditioning speakers with me.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page