5.1 front speakers - no sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all-
Although I am a newbie when it comes to AV, I'll do the best I can to describe my problem... Awesome website by the way.
Anyways, my Dad set up a Pioneer VSX 1020 about a year ago with 5 pod Boston Acoustics speakers. Three and the front and one at the back. As a music and movie lover I constantly used them. A day ago, I realised that the three front speakers were not working or producing any sound whatever. I can still get sound, as the two rear speakers work perfectly in the Ext. Stereo setting. The subwoofer also works fine. The only thing I can think of is the night before, which was the last time they were working - I hosted a party and let my friends play music through the Bluetooth adapter (while I tried to get some sleep!). Although I doubt they changed any settings, the only thing I can think of is that the speakers possibly blew as they couldn't handle the volume.

Any comments and feedback would be much appreciated,
Thanks a bunch
Marie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm thinking it's probably a setting on the receiver that's been changed. Either that or something basic like the speaker wire being disconnected.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Some quick debugging suggestions:
- Like most AVRs, the VSX-1020 likely has a "pure direct" or similar mode, which bypasses all processing modes. Select that mode to rule out some wonky audio mode.

- If you're still not getting any sound out of the front speakers, connect each of the front speakers to one of the two rear channels to rule out a blown speaker.

- If the speakers are fine, connect one of the rear speakers to each of the front channels to confirm that the channels are dead.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Pretty hard to turn off the front speakers while the surround speakers are still working.

Check your speaker connections. Make sure all the wires are still connected on both the receiver and speaker terminals.

You might have to do a processor reset. Have no idea what it is for that receiver but I'm sure it is in the manual.

Afro GT
post #5 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Pretty hard to turn off the front speakers while the surround speakers are still working.

Check your speaker connections. Make sure all the wires are still connected on both the receiver and speaker terminals.

You might have to do a processor reset. Have no idea what it is for that receiver but I'm sure it is in the manual.

It could be as simple as an A/B speaker switch set to B, with the Surround and B speakers being on the same terminals.

post #6 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in NJ View Post

It could be as simple as an A/B speaker switch set to B, with the Surround and B speakers being on the same terminals.

I bet that's the issue. That has happened to me about 300 times.....and every time I do it I feel like a moron when I hit the stupid "A Speaker" button and it fires up....this is usually after troubleshooting EVERY possible issue....and pulling all of the wires out of my walls.....
post #7 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

How would one go about setting it back to A?
post #8 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyInMemphis View Post

How would one go about setting it back to A?

Umm, look at your receiver front panel and push the Speakers button a couple of times. You'll figure it out.biggrin.gif

Afro GT
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page