B&W CM1 or PSB imagine B - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-11-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whats your thoughts on both of these bookself speakers? The CM1 or the imagine B.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-11-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I like the sound of the PSB Imagine B much better. The sound is cleaner and more coherent and balanced, top to bottom.

Oddly enough, however, there is a speaker for $600 per pair that is, IMO, possibly better than the Imagine B and WAY better than the CM1.

The Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55 (which happens to be almost exactly the same size as the Imagine B), is absolutely excellent, and for its price seems almost incredible.

I have been a big fan of PSB speakers for years, and had the PSB Image T6 speakers in my home for 2 years and loved them. A friend of mine has the Imagine B and I have heard them many times and like them.

I have never been a fan of Def Tech speakers in general, but it looks like they have hit a home run with the SM 55 speakers.

I suggest you check out the Stereophile tests and review done a couple of months ago for a lot of the details on them.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-11-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

I am new to this forum and come here because I feel it is tough to get a non-biased opinion from a company that offers speakers, recievers ect....

Obviously I am finding that they want to sell or push only there own products, and thats understandable in nature.

I have an oportunity to listen to those speakers you mentioned and have already heard the cm1's play. I will be able to listen to the CM1's once again as well as the speakers you mentioned and I can compare the two on my own, which is nice. As far as the Imagine B's, I would have to find a place some what local to hear them.

I appreciate the response and continuopusly welcome more input to my question. I will be reading this thread often.

P.S. I really can't go any larger than the size specs such as the Imagine B's, and thats pushing it a little as well. I am for a lack of so called resonable room in back of the speakers.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 348
IMHO, the CM1s are a bit lacking compared to the CM5s and you would definitely need a subwoofer. I understand the CM5s are not an option for you however due to size constraints. You could use the port plugs as a solution. The PSB Imagine Bs are fantastic speakers and I would be inclined to choose them over the CM1s. Are you open to other suggestions? There are quite a few options in this price range.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #5 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oddly enough, however, there is a speaker for $600 per pair that is, IMO, possibly better than the Imagine B and WAY better than the CM1.

The Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55 (which happens to be almost exactly the same size as the Imagine B), is absolutely excellent, and for its price seems almost incredible.

With your advise, I went ahead and listened to them today, and was able to hear the CM1's once again next to the Monitor 55's. Here is what my conclusion was. Please keep in mind that I was running a sub woofer when listening to both pairs and kept the sub woofer on the same settings. I will say that dollar for dollar, you get a real heck of a bang for the buck with the 55's, although they did not have the clarity that the CM 1's had. The 55's at the same volume level where louder and fuller, moderately, although with the volume up slight on the CM 1's to compensate, the CM'1's where the better choice if money was not the priority when comparing the two. The clairity is really nice on the CM1's. The 55's are really pushing it for size limitations that I have.

It is very tough for me to test the CM'1s against the PSB Imagine B's and I would have to travel far to hear the PSB speakers and then i'm not so sure they would have the CM1's to compare with on location. It's tough to make a decision unless I can test two different sets in the same location, with the same song or songs on.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Another option would be for you to demo them at home and return them within the 30 day trial period if you weren't satisfied. An in-home demo is probably the best way to do things if you can swing it.

post #7 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Agreed, that would be nice. I am not sure if I am doing things in reverse order or not, but I am shopping for speakers first to fit this certain given area, and I am also in the process of researching integrated amplifiers. I was guided towards an NAD 80watt integrated amp, but it was only a suggestion from someone who seems to have been giving me some fair to good advice. This is all kinda new to me.

I do know this, that I know what I am up against for room size and I know exactly where the speakers have to go. I know where they have to go because I don't have a choice. They will have to sit 36-40 inches off the ground, on a counter top and they are going to be about 8 inches off the wall. Each wall is a corner area. As I am learning about clarity, I am also learning that it is best to do it with an integrated amp which runs music through it from a labtop. I have an NHT sub woofer already and an NHT amplifier that powers that sub woofer. The room is about 9 feet wide by about 16 feet long. The music must play loud, clear and have a tremendous amount of thump to it.

I made the purchase today of the Bowers and Wilkerson CM1's. Now I am moving onto the integrated amplifiers and I am going to need help in this department. It's strickly a 2 channel system for music listening only.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the amplifier http://www.crutchfield.com/p_745C356DAC/NAD-C-356DAC.html

Some thoughts?
post #9 of 16 Old 01-13-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

That is a very good quality 2-channel amp. It should drive the CM1s with ease. Do you have a high-pass crossover? Bass management is the main thing I see lacking. You could go with an AVR or perhaps the Parasound 2100 preamp and 275/2250 amp for $200 more than the integrated amp. Or the Outlaw RR2150 is another option and it features a USB DAC as well as bass management.

post #10 of 16 Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you have a high-pass crossover? Bass management is the main thing I see lacking. You could go with an AVR or perhaps the Parasound 2100 preamp and 275/2250 amp for $200 more than the integrated amp. Or the Outlaw RR2150 is another option and it features a USB DAC as well as bass management.

This is a little foriegn to me. Can you please expalin further, in some simple terms on the benifits of what your discussing. I have a seperate NHT sub woofer that requires a sepearte amplifier to drive it. That amplifier is also an nht amp such as a MA-1 or an SA-1 or SA-2. I have not aquired teh amp that drives the sub, but I do have the sub-woofer already. With these components which I could seperately adjust the bass on the sub-woofer, do I need, or would it benifit me to have those items you mentioned?
post #11 of 16 Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

I have an NHT sub-woofer and I am in the process of trying to locate an NHT sub woofer amplifier such as an MA-1, SA-1 or SA-2. The crossover stuff is a little chinese to me, so please accept my appologies for not understanding. Please if you could, give me an education. I want to do this correct, the first time.

Here is a picture of the sub-woofer I have. It's not my exact picture but it is the same as in the picture shown.

P.S. If I didn't mention this before, I am only going to run music through this two channel system and have no need for FM, AM, CD or anything else other than a port to plug that labtop into.

post #12 of 16 Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

In the simplest terms, a high-pass crossover will enable you to send the lower frequencies (80 Hz or so depending on what you use) to the subwoofer so that your front speakers won't be running full range. That would be a good idea since you went with the CM1s. The CM1s are limited to 55 Hz on the low end so it would make sense to cross them over at 80 Hz. In this way, the CM1s would be handling the midrange and high frequencies. You could do this with one of the subwoofer amps you mentioned as they have high pass capability. I didn't know which model of subwoofer you were using until now. The speaker cables from your speakers would be connected to the "to satellite" speaker terminals on the subwoofer amp and then another set of speaker cables would be connected from the "from amplifer" terminals on the subwoofer amp to the NAD speaker terminals (or whatever integrated amp you decide to go with).

For reference, here's a pic of the rear connections on the SA-1

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 95

post #13 of 16 Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you have a high-pass crossover? Bass management is the main thing I see lacking. You could go with an AVR or perhaps the Parasound 2100 preamp and 275/2250 amp for $200 more than the integrated amp. Or the Outlaw RR2150 is another option and it features a USB DAC as well as bass management.

Now that you understand better what I have, do I still need to purchase a crossover as you mentioned in your above paragraph?

Here is the area this system will go in.
Quote:
They will have to sit 36-40 inches off the ground, on a counter top and they are going to be about 8 inches off the wall. Each wall is a corner area.

post #14 of 16 Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

You won't need a crossover with the SA-1 or MA-1 amplifiers. I had no idea you were putting these speakers in a motor home. I have doubts about how things will sound in that space. Perhaps you should have gone with some car audio components?

post #15 of 16 Old 01-14-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

This is way to much space for the sound I am looking for, out of a car stereo system. It already has a factory surround sound system with factory installed amps, sub-woofer ect..., ect...as well as a 12V stereo system that plays through 6 speakers and a sub, all which came factory installed when the coach was new. Just mounting additional car audio amps and wiring for car audio would be a nightmare in this application. Access is a problem since it's all been run prior to the ceiling and walls being installed. The conventional home system is a simple as put speakers in place and take them away when mobile or when I'm not using the coach. It's all double pain glass and insulated walls. I really didn't want to mention what it's going in because I knew that once the space is linked to wheels, people precieve that it should have a car audio system in it. This system in discussion, won't be run when mobile, just when stationary. With a 10,000 watt onan on board, I have all the electricity I need, and receptical outlets are everywhere.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I understand. I just wanted to convey that your new setup may not sound the best due to the nature of your listening space. I'm not sure how you would do it (perhaps stands) but you want to have the tweeters of the CM1s at ear level. 36-40 in seems a bit high if you're sitting on one of those couches.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page