Update or replace?? Calling on the AVS community - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-11-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm just now making the transition from entry level surround sound to high fidelity listening. I've done much research but I don't have much experience under my belt.

The dilemma: I just bought a Pioneer Elite VSX-42 (rated at 80 watts per channel - 560 watts in total). I am very pleased with the receiver but now I want to 'add something' to the speaker department.

My current setup:

Center - JBL EC25
R/L - JBL E30's
Surround - JBL N26 ii's
Sub - Sony (Trash)

I'm turning to the AVS community for guidance. Do I replace all speakers or update the weakest links?

For around $700 I can buy JBL ES30's and a JBL ES250P. Using my existing E30's as surround speakers, this would leave me with a respectable home audio system.

OR

Should I cough up the dough and buy:

Center - RC42 II
R/L - RB51 II (The room will not support floorstanding speakers :-/)
Surround - RS42 II
Sub - RW12D

I'm sure I would be thrilled with the Klipsch reference series but the price is something to choke on.

Bottom line: I'm not convinced JBL offers genuinely high quality home audio equipment. Will there be a clear audible difference in Klipsch's reference series?

Any tips or suggestions will be much appreciated. Pictures upon request.

-Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-11-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
What kind of budget are you looking at spending?

Several other brands are in the Klipsch price range
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/index.php?loudspeakers=arx&cPath=21_32& Personal favorite
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hc-1.html

For subwoofers the RW12D is decent but something like SVS's PB1000 would easily outperform it especially in distortion numbers (much lower) and extension (much lower again).

http://www.svsound.com/1000-series-landing
post #3 of 7 Old 01-11-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I have about $1,000 to play with.

HSU seems like an awesome value and would definitely fit into my budget! Thanks!

I've read some scary articles about the damage under powering a speak can cause - will the 80 watts per channel the VSX-42 offers be enough to properly drive HB-1 MK2 bookshelf speakers? Will they deliver solid bass performance when listening to 2-channel music?
post #4 of 7 Old 01-11-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Your receiver should be fine. It would take some seriously inefficient speakers to cause trouble. Just stay with something 8ohms and 90+db sensitivity. The HSU's are awesome bookshelfs, I had a pair a little over a year ago and demo'd them a few days and they are very nice sounding, although I ended up keeping the Arx speakers and sending several others back. HSU probably would have been my next choice if they had matching towers, but thats the only bad thing I can say.

The HSU subwoofers are also great and you should be able to get the HSU speakers plus the subwoofer as a matching Hometheater package.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-12-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Why Arx over HSU?

HSU's hybrid package 2 seems very nice.

I do about 70% gaming, 25% movies, and 5% music. The listening area is around 20' x 12'. Do you think the self powered 250 watt sub will be enough?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-12-2013, 01:45 PM

Liked: 49
I just bought the hsu 5.0 package and the rw12d sub and they really perform well in a room just like yours. Highly recommended, especially for movies and games. I keep tossing emp grenades in call of duty just to get the sub pounding and it shakes the whole house.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicDub View Post

Why Arx over HSU?

HSU's hybrid package 2 seems very nice.

I do about 70% gaming, 25% movies, and 5% music. The listening area is around 20' x 12'. Do you think the self powered 250 watt sub will be enough?

HSU speakers are a fantastic value and are nice speakers. I just liked the Arx speakers alitte more. The planar tweeter seemed more natural and better sounding to me and the woofers in the Arx had much more of a powerful bassier sound to them than the HSU. None of these attributes was drastically better over the other. In my room and with my ears I prefered the Arx.

Another closer on going with the Arx was I wanted a tower speaker for fronts eventually. HSU only offers the bookshelfs and i've read theres no plans to add anything else than whats currently offered, (although I don't currently keep upto date with HSU forums). Arx had one tower available at the time A3 with the A5 being released.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page