Starting point for 5.1 or possible 7.1 system large room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all Im needing some advice on starting my home theatre system. I have a large open living/kitchen/great room. 22.5x25 with 12ft ceilings this does not include eating area wich is off to side of cooking area. Currently I have 55 vizio lcd, ps3 and want to put together a nice setup that will be able to fill the room with sound. Thinking in the $3k range when all is said and done but want to put in $1500 to get started and add on from their. I am ok with tower speakers up front but I would like center channel to be as discrete as possible.... Will listen to stereo and movies on a 50/50 basis. Really am lost as to what takes priority when starting. I like to listen to anything from classical to bluegrass to pop. Wife is a movie person so she wants big explosions clear dialogue etc.... Also would like to have the capability of adding speakers outside and in master bed in comming years.

I am thinking of purchasing the onkyo nr609 a set of towers and a sub for intial set up. Is this even a good start or should i go with center channel and sub, Im so lost.

Any advice direction is greatly apperciated.

sorry for the crappy cell pics.

20130111_204440.jpg 1949k .jpg file 20130111_204453.jpg 2330k .jpg file T]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130111_204440.jpg (1.90 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20130111_204453.jpg (2.28 MB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 243
For that price range, you will be hard put to find anything better than some PSB speakers.

The PSB Image T6 is $1300 per pair, and are excellent speakers. Both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound chose them to be the speakers in their annual "Recommended Systems" articles, over every other speaker in that price class.

I had them for two years, and would still have them if I hadn't run into some other more expensive speakers that I fell in love with and had to have...lol.

It sounds like we have somewhat similar tastes; from Beethoven to Brubeck to Flatt and Scruggs to Ry Cooder...rofl.

A Image C4 center speaker is the best center speaker to use with them and is $300.

A pair of Image B4 speakers will round out the system for another $329.

A VERY good system for less than $2000.

Oh yes; a sub. I use a NHT B12D, which is excellent and runs $700. The Klipsch RW12D is also very good for around $400.

The bass from those speakers is pretty good, but for movies I guess you would want the sub with them; then you can add the other 3 speakers as you wish.

Oh; by the way; Saturday Audio sells new PSB speakers for about 20% off. They are new but have minor finish blemishes, which most people would hardly notice. They come with full new speaker warranty from PSB.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I think you will have a hard time beating the Ascend Acouts CMt340 and center (right around 900 dollars, shipped) and then get the best 12" sub you can for around 500 dollars (HSU, SVS, etc)! that would give you a 3.1 that would rock pretty well and also excell in HT. You would have the option of adding towers later and replace the center, moving the CMT340 to surround.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #4 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by naplese30 View Post

I am thinking of purchasing the onkyo nr609 a set of towers and a sub for intial set up. Is this even a good start or should i go with center channel and sub, Im so lost.

Any advice direction is greatly apperciated.

The Arx A5 towers are an extremely awesome value and great sounding. http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?p=arx-a5-floorstanding-loudspeaker&products_id=227&

Very neutral to laid back, very easy to listen too. They are not the clinical lifeless sound of other speakers in there price range or even higher. I would be confident in putting them up again $1000-1500 towers without second thoughts.

The center isn't available yet but should be available by Febuary or so. Which is good since you want to start off with towers and a subwoofer. That would leave you enought for something like the SVS PB12 NSD or maybe even the HSU VTF 15H. Which Hometheater just raved about 5stars all the way.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 384
I would look at the Focal speakers - $800 a pair, new in the box
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/brand/focal/results/1.html

And, the HSU VTF-15 subwoofer

Or, Power Sound Audio
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xv15

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #6 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have the onkyo 616? Iam thinking of purchasing it instead of the 609 but read a few reviews saying the 616 has issues that need to be resolved. Just wondering if onkyo has fixed them and its a safe purchase, or should I stick with the original plan of the 609?

Currently researching the setups suggested, thanks guys.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

The Onkyo 600 series has always been a good value and strong performer. I had the 605 for years and it ran flawlessly. If you not against factory refurbs you can get some higher end receiver from A4less for the price of what new in box lower end models cost.

Not sure what you had planned on spending on the Onkyo 609/616.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR809/Onkyo-TX-NR809-7.2-Channel-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html
post #8 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

^Thats where I was looking. Nothing wrong with refurb in my mind. I squeek when I walk ha ha biggrin.gif
post #9 of 16 Old 01-12-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 243
The 609 should be fine, so maybe it would be better to go with it; the new ones ARE quite new.

Quote:

Anyone have the onkyo 616? Iam thinking of purchasing it instead of the 609 but read a few reviews saying the 616 has issues that need to be resolved. Just wondering if onkyo has fixed them and its a safe purchase, or should I stick with the original plan of the 609?

Currently researching the setups suggested, thanks guys.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-14-2013, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Going to listen to the psb this week. Just wish the t6 were about 3" shorter so they would be flush with my cabinent, this would please the mrs. Trying to find a focal dealer to compare as these two options have peaked my interest the most.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

ok so I just ordered my starter setup.

Denon 1912
Focal 814v towers
Focal cc 814 center

Havnt listened to the focal but got free shipping so if Im not happy in 30 days it wont cost any$$$

They said no one has yet to return the focals..

Should be here on tues.

Looking to add sub and rears in the next few months.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 651
That will be a nice setup smile.gif

You've got a big room, so keep in mind what zieglj01 recommended for subs. You might want to research and ask questions in the AVS subwoofer forum before you buy.

post #13 of 16 Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Just curious how the svs stacks up against the super cube. I heard the cube at bb and was impressed, and loved how small it was. Wife wants something she can hide as its in our fam room as opposed to a dedicated theatre.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:

Just curious how the svs stacks up against the super cube. I heard the cube at bb and was impressed, and loved how small it was. Wife wants something she can hide as its in our fam room as opposed to a dedicated theatre.

With the SuperCube, you are paying extra for increased output in a small package, and you are paying the store as middleman, and you are paying Def Tech for all the marketing. Internet sub vendors like HSU Research, SVS, Outlaw Audio and Rythmik sell subs that are typically comparable or better than the traditional speaker company subs you find in brick and mortar sub stores at twice the price MSRP. So yeah. Anything from SVS will be better than SuperCube for the money.

Meanwhile, your room is very, very large, and sub performance is tied to room volume. A small sub like the SuperCube just isn't going to do every well in a room that big.

post #15 of 16 Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

SVS= Big True Hometheater performance and great music capabilites.

SuperCubes= Small Bedroom/Desktop setup. You pay for it being small and all the marketing BS.

You can only have 2 of the 3: Size, Output, Depth. The Supercube is small therefore you only get 2 of the the 3. Depth and output need LARGE enclosures, small enclosures can only do depth or output NOT both. Def Tech went to the extreme in small size therefore sacificing depth and alittle output.

SVS on the other hand doesn't have the comprismises Def Tech does. But some of the models PB13Ultra example is the size of a small car and gets you everything you could ask for

SVS SB12 NSD cube give you alittle of everything smallish size, output and extension without giving up too much of one thing.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-29-2013, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Alright supercube is out then. Got everything setup and am very happy with the focals. Would def recomend them for the price on acces4less. They sound great for music and in home theatre. Cant wait to get a sub and some ceiling mount speakers.

Only issue I am having is the denon is not connecting to my home network properly. I can control it with my laptop, andriod phone, but I cant stream music to it or connect to internet radio. I think it might be an issue with my router being firewalled or needs to be put into bridge mode or something. Going to contact comcast this week to see if it could be a prob/setting on that end and not the reciever. Also my wife is beyond confused at how to run everything together, even though its easier now then before as their is no switching the tv between hdmi inputs. ha ha Thanks everyone for all the help info and knowledge.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page