Entry level upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 01-12-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey, thanks for the wealth of info here. I want better sound, not groundbreaking super audiophile grade, but clean, full, and non-fatiguing. My den is WxLxH 14 x 23 x 9 and extends into a 15 x 15 kitchen/breakfast area. A pretty large space. Carpeted in den and hardwoods in kitchen/breakfast area. Movies/TV = 70% - Music = 30% but might increase with new system smile.gif

My budget is ~ $1300.00. I presently have the room set up with the TV (mounted on wall low profile) and console (also mounted to wall 16" deep) on a 14' wall with the couches 13' back and 10' open space behind me into the kitchen. Open floor plan

I'm using a 5 x 80watt Denon avr-1713 and have a HTIB take classic 5.1. I did all the in-wall wiring and all speakers are wall mounted. It is a temporary speaker solution and will be going to a small bedroom. It falls way shy of filling my room with sound for obvious reasons.

Note: WAF is important. This is not a dedicated HT. One day maybe.

I've been doing my research for about a month now...OCD is a terrible disease...

I've been drawn to Arx, KEF, AscendAcoustics, PSB, NHT, Monitor Audio, Wharfedale, and the list goes on. It is overwhelming.

Since the speakers will be wall mounted I've found what I think are satisfactory packages and think they will both be a monumental upgrade over the take classic htib.

1: NHT - I spoke with John at NHT and we configured a system that consisted of ClassicTwo LR, ClassicTwoC C, SZ2.0 surrounds, and B10d sub. This rung up to $1400

2: PSB - Alpha B1 LR, Alpha C1 C, Alpha LR1 surrounds, SVS sb-1000 sub. $1300

For now, I'm stuck with wall mounting the speakers although my mounts do hold the speakers 6-8" off the wall.

Recommendations? Are stands the only "real" way to achieve entry level audiophile grade performance? Any other nice entry level options y'all would advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 01-12-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Both of those packages would definitely represent a significant upgrade. Of the two, the NHT setup would make the most sense as they are designed to be wall mounted. The PSB speakers in the second setup are rear-ported. Generally, it's better to have rear ported speakers on stands with sufficient clearance behind (1-2 ft). However, they can still be wall mounted provided there is still sufficient clearance behind the speaker. The NHT sub is a decent one but I would take the SVS over that option.
jbdan likes this.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 45 Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdan View Post

Hey, thanks for the wealth of info here. I want better sound, not groundbreaking super audiophile grade, but clean, full, and non-fatiguing. My den is WxLxH 14 x 23 x 9 and extends into a 15 x 15 kitchen/breakfast area. A pretty large space. Carpeted in den and hardwoods in kitchen/breakfast area. Movies/TV = 70% - Music = 30% but might increase with new system smile.gif

My budget is ~ $1300.00. I presently have the room set up with the TV (mounted on wall low profile) and console (also mounted to wall 16" deep) on a 14' wall with the couches 13' back and 10' open space behind me into the kitchen. Open floor plan

I'm using a 5 x 80watt Denon avr-1713 and have a HTIB take classic 5.1. I did all the in-wall wiring and all speakers are wall mounted. It is a temporary speaker solution and will be going to a small bedroom. It falls way shy of filling my room with sound for obvious reasons.

Note: WAF is important. This is not a dedicated HT. One day maybe.

I've been doing my research for about a month now...OCD is a terrible disease...

I've been drawn to Arx, KEF, AscendAcoustics, PSB, NHT, Monitor Audio, Wharfedale, and the list goes on. It is overwhelming.

Since the speakers will be wall mounted I've found what I think are satisfactory packages and think they will both be a monumental upgrade over the take classic htib.

1: NHT - I spoke with John at NHT and we configured a system that consisted of ClassicTwo LR, ClassicTwoC C, SZ2.0 surrounds, and B10d sub. This rung up to $1400

2: PSB - Alpha B1 LR, Alpha C1 C, Alpha LR1 surrounds, SVS sb-1000 sub. $1300

For now, I'm stuck with wall mounting the speakers although my mounts do hold the speakers 6-8" off the wall.

Recommendations? Are stands the only "real" way to achieve entry level audiophile grade performance? Any other nice entry level options y'all would advise?

Since you have looked at Ascend's and plan on keeping them wall mounted 5 HTM-200's would make sense from them as they are sealed. I believe they are $298/pr and the center is $158. Okay I just looked up their site and according to the package calculator, going with all HTM-200's with shipping comes out to $712 which leaves you with $588 for a sub. If you were to go with a pair of CBM-170's, a CMT-340 center channel, and a pair of HTM-200's that would $880 with shipping leaving you with $420 for a sub. Something to keep in mind when wall moutning speakers, is that if you go with a speaker that is rear ported, you could introduce some unwanted wall reflections, that could alter the overall sound. As a rule of thumb, that I personally use, not sure about others on here, is that if a speaker is rear ported I want them to at least be 12" from the back wall to reduce sound reflections.
Another option would be Home Theater Direct, whose speakers are front ported, making wall mounting easier. A pair of HTD Level 2's, Level 2 Center, and a pair of on wall bipole/dipole surrounds(the mains and center feature a 1" Silk Dome tweeter with a 5.25" midrange speaker and the on walls feature a pair of 4" woofers) with shipping comes out to $677 leaving you $623 for a sub. A pair of HTD Level 3's, Level 3 Center, and a pair of Level 3 on wall bipole/dipole surrounds comes out to $987 with shipping and leaves $313 for a sub. The Level 3's have a 6.5" woofer as well as horn loaded ribbon tweeter, and the on wall's have the same tweeter with a 5.25" woofer. They also have heavy duty wall mounting brackets at $35/pair or $18/each. These are just some examples that I came up with for you to consider, as I am sure there are others on here that can offer even more in your price range.
You could use speaker stands if you choose to do so, and with a rear ported speaker I would recommend going with those. Almost forgot to mention that the HTM-200's use a pair of 4" woofers with a 1" soft dome tweeter, and the CMT-340 and CBM-170's have a 6.5" woofer with the same 1" soft dome tweeter. These are brands I am familiar with and can't speak for the others you listed, so hopefully someone who is can chime in. Hope this helped a little bit. Speaker shopping should be a fun time, just remember to take the time and do your research, listening to as many brands as possible and finally find the ones that fit within your budget and sound the best to YOU. Good luck and keep us posted as to the speakers you decide on.
jbdan likes this.

Cliff
post #4 of 45 Old 01-12-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 480
I would go with NHT or HTD Level Three - with an SVS or HSU or Outlaw subwoofer.
With HTD, you can use the Level Two as surrounds - save some money.

http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers

http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers

I prefer these over PSB Alpha speakers
jbdan likes this.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #5 of 45 Old 01-12-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

Both of those packages would definitely represent a significant upgrade. Of the two, the NHT setup would make the most sense as they are designed to be wall mounted. The PSB speakers in the second setup are rear-ported. Generally, it's better to have rear ported speakers on stands with sufficient clearance behind (1-2 ft). However, they can still be wall mounted provided there is still sufficient clearance behind the speaker. The NHT sub is a decent one but I would take the SVS over that option.
Thanks for the reply. I assumed (shouldn't assume right tongue.gif) that with the keyhole and 2 1/4" threaded inserts that the Alpha 1's could be wall mounted. Should the ports be filled then if they are ~6" from the wall? For the Alpha LR1's they would be mounted on the long 23' side wall but pointed forward to the TV. I have the take classics mounted this way and the rear port is about ~13" - 15" from the wall:the LR1 would be almost identical and mounted to same mount. The center would rest on a pinpoint AM15 center speaker mount and the rear would be ~8" from wall that TV is hung on and below it at ear height. Common sense tells me that the ports are expected to be filled when wall mounting these Alphas.

I've been stuck on the Alpha's because I've heard some PSB's (Image) and they were amazing + the pro reviews on them are all A+. Only problem is every audiophile quality speaker I hear is amazing! I'm used to htib's.

The NHT does make more sense in respect to their size as well as acoustic suspension/sealed design. I'm nervous about getting the NHT's and them still sounding small in my space. I know it will sound much better than the take classics, but isn't good sound all about "moving air" in the room....thanks for taking the time to advise :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 View Post

Since you have looked at Ascend's and plan on keeping them wall mounted 5 HTM-200's would make sense from them as they are sealed. I believe they are $298/pr and the center is $158. Okay I just looked up their site and according to the package calculator, going with all HTM-200's with shipping comes out to $712 which leaves you with $588 for a sub. If you were to go with a pair of CBM-170's, a CMT-340 center channel, and a pair of HTM-200's that would $880 with shipping leaving you with $420 for a sub. Something to keep in mind when wall moutning speakers, is that if you go with a speaker that is rear ported, you could introduce some unwanted wall reflections, that could alter the overall sound. As a rule of thumb, that I personally use, not sure about others on here, is that if a speaker is rear ported I want them to at least be 12" from the back wall to reduce sound reflections.
Another option would be Home Theater Direct, whose speakers are front ported, making wall mounting easier. A pair of HTD Level 2's, Level 2 Center, and a pair of on wall bipole/dipole surrounds(the mains and center feature a 1" Silk Dome tweeter with a 5.25" midrange speaker and the on walls feature a pair of 4" woofers) with shipping comes out to $677 leaving you $623 for a sub. A pair of HTD Level 3's, Level 3 Center, and a pair of Level 3 on wall bipole/dipole surrounds comes out to $987 with shipping and leaves $313 for a sub. The Level 3's have a 6.5" woofer as well as horn loaded ribbon tweeter, and the on wall's have the same tweeter with a 5.25" woofer. They also have heavy duty wall mounting brackets at $35/pair or $18/each. These are just some examples that I came up with for you to consider, as I am sure there are others on here that can offer even more in your price range.
You could use speaker stands if you choose to do so, and with a rear ported speaker I would recommend going with those. Almost forgot to mention that the HTM-200's use a pair of 4" woofers with a 1" soft dome tweeter, and the CMT-340 and CBM-170's have a 6.5" woofer with the same 1" soft dome tweeter. These are brands I am familiar with and can't speak for the others you listed, so hopefully someone who is can chime in. Hope this helped a little bit. Speaker shopping should be a fun time, just remember to take the time and do your research, listening to as many brands as possible and finally find the ones that fit within your budget and sound the best to YOU. Good luck and keep us posted as to the speakers you decide on.
Thank you! I dug really hard at the Ascend's and just thought that everything would be too big except for the HTM200's. I love the thought of the CBM and CMT wow! But like you said with the rear port and me having to wall mount I feel like I'd be severely restricting the sound potential. The WAF factor would also restrict that purchase tongue.gif but only purely based on aesthetics for the den. Then I started researching HTD and didn't see a whole lotta love for their product sound wise. Did see a lotta love for their service though. Thanks for coming up with the pkgs I appreciate that smile.gif The HTM's will seriously be considered. Wished I wasn't so "aesthetic limited" it would make all this much easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

I would go with NHT or HTD Level Three - with an SVS or HSU or Outlaw subwoofer.
With HTD, you can use the Level Two as surrounds - save some money.

http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers

http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers

I prefer these over PSB Alpha speakers
Thanks for your advise I'm almost set in stone on an SVS sub. The Level3 is a little large for the WAF (I know it keeps coming up....), but the Level2 could work. Curious have you heard both the NHT and HTD level2/3's? If so can you elaborate any? Also how about the KEF C series (C1) since they are front ported and a good small size. They compare favorably to the HTD-L3, PSB AlphaB1 and NHT ClassicTwo?

Thanks for all y'alls help!
post #6 of 45 Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for your advise I'm almost set in stone on an SVS sub. The Level3 is a little large for the WAF (I know it keeps coming up....), but the Level2 could work. Curious have you heard both the NHT and HTD level2/3's? If so can you elaborate any? Also how about the KEF C series (C1) since they are front ported and a good small size. They compare favorably to the HTD-L3, PSB AlphaB1 and NHT ClassicTwo?
I have owned speakers from NHT, HTD and PSB

NHT is real nice - however I will not pay full price for them, when HTD gives you good quality
at a lower price. NHT will not trump the HTD speakers, it will come down to preference and
taste. As I stated before, I prefer HTD and NHT over PSB Alpha speakers.

Also, I will not pay full price for the PSB Image series, due to the quality of HTD.

If you want a subjective HTD Level Two review - then read this.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/788311/home-theater-direct-htd-owners-thread/180#post_22818512

The Level Three has more bass - and a nice/good ribbon tweeter.

I am not interested in the KEF C series speakers - the only KEF that I would look at, are the ones
with the coaxial drivers.
jbdan likes this.

post #7 of 45 Old 01-12-2013, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have owned speakers from NHT, HTD and PSB

NHT is real nice - however I will not pay full price for them, when HTD gives you good quality
at a lower price. NHT will not trump the HTD speakers, it will come down to preference and
taste. As I stated before, I prefer HTD and NHT over PSB Alpha speakers.

Also, I will not pay full price for the PSB Image series, due to the quality of HTD.

If you want a subjective HTD Level Two review - then read this.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/788311/home-theater-direct-htd-owners-thread/180#post_22818512

The Level Three has more bass - and a nice/good ribbon tweeter.

I am not interested in the KEF C series speakers - the only KEF that I would look at, are the ones
with the coaxial drivers.
Appreciate that. I'm learning slowly but surely.
post #8 of 45 Old 01-12-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Appreciate that. I'm learning slowly but surely.

Here is a video review for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MOYrdpkHQGo
jbdan likes this.

post #9 of 45 Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 PM

I haven't heard the HTDs, but if you're going to wall mount them I think the NHTs would be a good choice and a big step up from what you currently have. It would be great if you could up your budget, or purchase in stages, and get the to the Classic 3 and Three C center for fronts and the 12" sub.
jbdan likes this.
post #10 of 45 Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
In my opinion, you should only upgrade your 3.1 set up, and use your existing speakers as surround. That way you will have more $$ for an excellent sub.
jbdan and Transmaniacon like this.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #11 of 45 Old 01-12-2013, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The rear port/wall distance issue has got to be the most misunderstood concept on this forum... For the port to function as intended there only needs to be as much distance between the port and a boundary as the diameter of the port its self. A 2" port needs 2" clearance. The real issue is how much BSC does the speaker have. A speaker designed for wall placement wont have any or very little, the proximity to the wall compensates for the natural loss of low frequency energy on a speaker baffle. A speaker designed to be placed out into a room (full BSC) does not need any boundary reinforcement to achieve flat low frequency response, and by placing it near/against a wall you will gain excessive low frequency energy below the baffle cut off point (typically around 1 khz).

The problem with all of this is you dont know what a speaker was designed for. A wall mount speaker will have no BSC, while your typical monitor will usually be close to full.

The HTM 200's are definitely intended for wall/shelf mounting, you can see the shelf in the posted measurements. I would have to guess the larger HTD monitors are not.
jbdan likes this.
post #12 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Since you have looked at Ascend's and plan on keeping them wall mounted 5 HTM-200's would make sense from them as they are sealed. I believe they are $298/pr and the center is $158. Okay I just looked up their site and according to the package calculator, going with all HTM-200's with shipping comes out to $712 which leaves you with $588 for a sub. I

I agree with this recommendation. Great for a wall mounted setup. I too would go with the SVS sub. You could not go wrong with that setup.
jbdan likes this.

post #13 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Here is a video review for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MOYrdpkHQGo
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindo View Post

I haven't heard the HTDs, but if you're going to wall mount them I think the NHTs would be a good choice and a big step up from what you currently have. It would be great if you could up your budget, or purchase in stages, and get the to the Classic 3 and Three C center for fronts and the 12" sub.
I was told by John at NHT (sales director I believe) that unless I listened to a lot of music that it wasn't worth upping from the classic2's to the classic3's, but I totally know what you mean. I'd love the Classic3's. I'd love to have a dedicated home theater to really go crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

In my opinion, you should only upgrade your 3.1 set up, and use your existing speakers as surround. That way you will have more $$ for an excellent sub.
This seems like a very popular upgrade path and am certainly considering it. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

The rear port/wall distance issue has got to be the most misunderstood concept on this forum... For the port to function as intended there only needs to be as much distance between the port and a boundary as the diameter of the port its self. A 2" port needs 2" clearance. The real issue is how much BSC does the speaker have. A speaker designed for wall placement wont have any or very little, the proximity to the wall compensates for the natural loss of low frequency energy on a speaker baffle. A speaker designed to be placed out into a room (full BSC) does not need any boundary reinforcement to achieve flat low frequency response, and by placing it near/against a wall you will gain excessive low frequency energy below the baffle cut off point (typically around 1 khz).

The problem with all of this is you dont know what a speaker was designed for. A wall mount speaker will have no BSC, while your typical monitor will usually be close to full.

The HTM 200's are definitely intended for wall/shelf mounting, you can see the shelf in the posted measurements. I would have to guess the larger HTD monitors are not.
Totally great info. And I just read this. Had no clue, thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuspeed94 View Post

I agree with this recommendation. Great for a wall mounted setup. I too would go with the SVS sub. You could not go wrong with that setup.
I'm beginning to lean towards the 5 HTM200 package. I like the idea of "auditioning" (is that right word?) them for 30 days.

I still have NHT's banging at my head as aesthetically they look really good, curvaceous, and modern ("lifestyle like") and the wife concurs. The HTM's aren't "lookers", but if they sound kick butt then it might not matter.

--

Looking at all these speakers is super fun. Am also seeing how although the NHT's "fit" our style better, they are pricey compared to these others.

Should I be concerned at all with efficiency ratings for any of these...I know what it means, but am I fine with the 80W per channel Denon 1713 running any of these recommendations? I do not listen at reference level (certainly not with the take classics), but do like a good jolt to my chest at times when watching a movie or listening to my music.
post #14 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Should I be concerned at all with efficiency ratings for any of these...I know what it means, but am I fine with the 80W per channel Denon 1713 running any of these recommendations? I do not listen at reference level (certainly not with the take classics), but do like a good jolt to my chest at times when watching a movie or listening to my music.

You will be fine with all of these. 80W per channel is fine for bookshelf speakers.
jbdan likes this.

post #15 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 AM

I haven't heard the HTDs or the Ascends but they are very popular on this forum and appear to be a very good value. The in-home audition is also a nice benefit. I think the NHTs are good speakers too, a good value, and would probably be the best of the three in terms of performance, but they are also the most expensive. (Funny how that's usually the way.) The reason I suggested the NHT 3 over the 2 is that, being a 3-way, they perform better than the 2s in all respects and aren't that much more expensive. The difference will be noticeable for HT, especially with the center, and very much so for music. It's the best $300 upgrade you could make, followed by getting a better subwoofer. In the long-run it's money well spent, although coming from Take 5s I'm sure you'd be perfectly happy with the 2s, the HTDs, or the Ascends.

The efficiency is something to be concerned with, as NHTs, being sealed, are usually somewhat inefficient compared to other speakers. Still, being bookshelves, your Denon should provide enough power for any of their monitors. The 2s are 86 db and 6 ohms while the 3s are 87db and 8 ohms so, because the bass drivers of each are the same, the 3s should actually be a bit easier to drive.
jbdan likes this.
post #16 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 409
The 5 x Ascend HTM-200SE package would be a great setup. I don't think they will sound "small" in your room either. They're pretty efficient at 89 dB.
jbdan likes this.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #17 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuspeed94 View Post

You will be fine with all of these. 80W per channel is fine for bookshelf speakers.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindo View Post

I haven't heard the HTDs or the Ascends but they are very popular on this forum and appear to be a very good value. The in-home audition is also a nice benefit. I think the NHTs are good speakers too, a good value, and would probably be the best of the three in terms of performance, but they are also the most expensive. (Funny how that's usually the way.) The reason I suggested the NHT 3 over the 2 is that, being a 3-way, they perform better than the 2s in all respects and aren't that much more expensive. The difference will be noticeable for HT, especially with the center, and very much so for music. It's the best $300 upgrade you could make, followed by getting a better subwoofer. In the long-run it's money well spent, although coming from Take 5s I'm sure you'd be perfectly happy with the 2s, the HTDs, or the Ascends.

The efficiency is something to be concerned with, as NHTs, being sealed, are usually somewhat inefficient compared to other speakers. Still, being bookshelves, your Denon should provide enough power for any of their monitors. The 2s are 86 db and 6 ohms while the 3s are 87db and 8 ohms so, because the bass drivers of each are the same, the 3s should actually be a bit easier to drive.
Get what you pay for holds true with most everything doesn't it! Thanks for the advice on the efficiency. I didn't know if I would be bordering on "caution" with my AVR and some of the ~86dB efficient monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

The 5 x Ascend HTM-200SE package would be a great setup. I don't think they will sound "small" in your room either. They're pretty efficient at 89 dB.
Your making it tough tongue.gif thank you.
post #18 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

Your making it tough tongue.gif thank you.

Then I guess I should throw in a recommendation for Arx then, just to make it even tough biggrin.gif
jbdan likes this.
post #19 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Get what you pay for holds true with most everything doesn't it!.
Not always in speakers - some of us have owned a lot of speakers.
Also, good looking speakers do not guarantee good sound.
jbdan likes this.

post #20 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

About the HTM200SE's, I noticed they say "updated pics" in a lot of their shots of the speaker on their website. Is anyone familiar with this....Is the one pictured an older version and have they updated it cosmetically in any way? I'm really curious about the 1/4" 20 insert location/s.

Another question for y'all, the most knowledgeable smile.gif : Setting crossover to 80Hz would be the way to go with this setup (5 htm's and an SVS sub) correct?
post #21 of 45 Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Then I guess I should throw in a recommendation for Arx then, just to make it even tough biggrin.gif
I researched the heck out of them. Love the reviews and seem like a huge quality speaker at a very affordable price tag. Only thing is I'm wall mounting for the WAF frown.gif so I feel like any rear ported "not made for wall mounting speaker" would be cheated by doing so.

Quote:

Not always in speakers - some of us have owned a lot of speakers.
Also, good looking speakers do not guarantee good sound.
There are always exceptions indeed. And I understand about the aesthetic vs good sound. I need both in my particular situation so I'm narrowing it down more and more each day....thanks to y'all smile.gif
post #22 of 45 Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Another question for y'all, the most knowledgeable smile.gif : Setting crossover to 80Hz would be the way to go with this setup (5 htm's and an SVS sub) correct?

Yes, I wouldn't set the crossover any lower than 80hz given the frequency response of the HTMs. You should experiment to find the best spot as it may be at 80hz or a little bit higher.
jbdan likes this.

post #23 of 45 Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:

About the HTM200SE's, I noticed they say "updated pics" in a lot of their shots of the speaker on their website. Is anyone familiar with this....Is the one pictured an older version and have they updated it cosmetically in any way? I'm really curious about the 1/4" 20 insert location/s.

The ones in the photos should be what the actual speakers will look like. At some point I plan on getting a pair of these to replace my Athena AS-B1's for surround duty, finishing off my set up. I currently have the CBM-170's for L/R and a CMT-340 as my center.
jbdan likes this.

Cliff
post #24 of 45 Old 01-14-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

The reason I have my CBM-170's pulled 15.5" from the back wall is that they are on audio towers and I have my CMT-340 under my tv on the stand on the edge. I wanted all three fronts to be an equal distance, as well as having 1/2" plastic 'nubs' on the backs of the 170's to project the sound closer to ear level when sitting on my couch.
jbdan likes this.

Cliff
post #25 of 45 Old 01-15-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The ones in the photos should be what the actual speakers will look like. At some point I plan on getting a pair of these to replace my Athena AS-B1's for surround duty, finishing off my set up. I currently have the CBM-170's for L/R and a CMT-340 as my center.
Nice setup you have. I think having 3 CMT's across the front and HTM's for rear duty would be my dream! What stinks is I can make that happen $ wise, but the waf just won't let it be so tongue.gif

Quote:

The reason I have my CBM-170's pulled 15.5" from the back wall is that they are on audio towers and I have my CMT-340 under my tv on the stand on the edge. I wanted all three fronts to be an equal distance, as well as having 1/2" plastic 'nubs' on the backs of the 170's to project the sound closer to ear level when sitting on my couch.
My TV is mounted on a low profile mount on the wall. From the wall to the front of the screen is only 3". It's cool looking (like a picture), but does create some limitations in my mind with speaker placement. At least aesthetically.

So how does the CMT center and the CBM L/R sound as a front stage...I'm guessing really good!
post #26 of 45 Old 01-15-2013, 01:33 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

Nice setup you have. I think having 3 CMT's across the front and HTM's for rear duty would be my dream! What stinks is I can make that happen $ wise, but the waf just won't let it be so tongue.gif
My TV is mounted on a low profile mount on the wall. From the wall to the front of the screen is only 3". It's cool looking (like a picture), but does create some limitations in my mind with speaker placement. At least aesthetically.

So how does the CMT center and the CBM L/R sound as a front stage...I'm guessing really good!

It's easier to ask for forgiveness later than it is to ask for permission first! biggrin.gif

Panasonic TC-P65VT50
Denon 2113ci
Panasonic DMP-BDT220P
Ascend CMT-340SE L/R
Ascend CMT-340SE Center
Ascend CBM-170SE Surrounds
Klipsch RW12-D x 2
post #27 of 45 Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog View Post

It's easier to ask for forgiveness later than it is to ask for permission first! biggrin.gif
Hah! How true cool.gif

I'm starting to think about the 3.1 upgrade path, then down the road, upgrade the surrounds. NHT 2's and classic 2 center with the HSU VTF-1 MK2 sub. Over budget by a touch, but I bet would sound real nice. Can use the energy satellites I have hooked up now for temporary surround duty (would that sound bad?)

I still like the idea of grabbing 5 HTM-200SE's and a sub (svs or hsu) for around my budget. Spoke with Dina today at Ascend, very helpful and fun to talk with.

The search continues....:-)
post #28 of 45 Old 01-15-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Hah! How true cool.gif

I'm starting to think about the 3.1 upgrade path, then down the road, upgrade the surrounds. NHT 2's and classic 2 center with the HSU VTF-1 MK2 sub. Over budget by a touch, but I bet would sound real nice. Can use the energy satellites I have hooked up now for temporary surround duty (would that sound bad?)

I still like the idea of grabbing 5 HTM-200SE's and a sub (svs or hsu) for around my budget. Spoke with Dina today at Ascend, very helpful and fun to talk with.

The search continues....:-)

Haha, yeah it can be quite maddneing with all the available options. As for the sound of the 170's and 340, I personally love how they sound. Accurate, detailed and very nice imaging. The Energy's for surrounds shouldn't be too bad, the main thing is timber matching the front three. So if you decide to go that route, you would be fine until you replace the Energy's.
jbdan likes this.

Cliff
post #29 of 45 Old 01-31-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks darkpoet :-)

I got the first piece of the puzzle today. PB-1000. Wow. Amazing how much better the little take classics sound with this sub. Or so it seems.

I'm down to 2 pkgs now just need to bite. Made some changes based on speaking with representatives from each company. Both have been gracious with their advice. NHT Absolute 5.0 or the HTM-200SE 5.0.

I appreciate y'alls advice and replies.
post #30 of 45 Old 02-07-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

I made an order for 5 htm-200se's today and can't wait to try them out. After talking to each representative, I decided that the Ascends were more bang for buck AND would provide a significant upgrade over the take classic 5.0, all while being acceptable by the ever present waf. Thanks for all of your help!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page