2Likes

Old 12-29-2016, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 2
RTi A9's

Help, Help, Help,

Hi guys, i just picked up a pair of Polk Audio RTi A9's and am currently running it with a Yamaha HTR 6130 reciever. I'm not satisfied with the sound, I'm sure these speakers can shine a lot more. I guess there is no reciever out there that can get the most from these speakers.

Do I need a power amp to get the most out of these speakers. Since i'm not a tech person I'm not sure if i can add a power amp to my existing Yamaha HTR 6130 reciever, if not what exactly do i need to make these speakers sound to the max.

I also need a strong subwoofer, any suggestions which of the sub will be the best match for these speakers. I'm looking for a big sound.

Thanks alot in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
1K is a great price for a pair of A9's.<br><br>
Not everyone would agree with me however, there a lot that would, the A9's are a great musical speaker. While considered first an H.T. speaker and a musical speaker second, after coming from Monitor 70's, my wife and I were both impressed with the A9 for 2channel listening.<br><br>
These speakers are built like tanks, in other words, they can take lots of power, and sound better with lots of power going through them<br><br>
I first had mine fed with an external amp pushing 200wpc, they sounded way better when I started pushing them with 300wpc.<br><br>
My goal is to push them with 600wpc.
Help, Help, Help,

Hi guys, i just picked up a pair of Polk Audio RTi A9's and am currently running it with a Yamaha HTR 6130 reciever. I'm not satisfied with the sound, I'm sure these speakers can shine a lot more. I guess there is no reciever out there that can get the most from these speakers.

Do I need a power amp to get the most out of these speakers. Since i'm not a tech person I'm not sure if i can add a power amp to my existing Yamaha HTR 6130 reciever, if not what exactly do i need to make these speakers sound to the max.

I also need a strong subwoofer, any suggestions which of the sub will be the best match for these speakers. I'm looking for a big sound.

I'll be using these more for music than movies.

Thanks alot in advance.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostudd View Post
Help, Help, Help,

Thanks alot in advance.
i would definitely use a power amp such as Emotiva, Outlaw, or Rotel. Make sure you put no less than 200 watts/channel. I have a set of Rtia9 with an Emotiva (280/channel) and had a set of Rti12 back in the day with an Outlaw (200/channel). I will definitely say that these Polks can run you out of the room.

As far as subs, i would recommend talking to Jeff at JTR. I have a couple of cap 1400's coming and for the price, you can't beat them. There are alot of follow ups and personnel reviews of the 1400, just do a search. He also has the 118 and 218 at a very good price.

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/captivator-118ht/

Dedicated Theater Room: 7.2.4
SI 2.35 5-Series Pure Gray CinemaScope 133"; Epson 6040UB
RTIA9 Polk, CSIA6 Polk, FXIA6 Polk / Dual JTR Cap 1400 Black Oak Finish
Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray
Panamax M5400-PM
Emotiva XMC1, Emotiva 3 channel amp Gen 3, Emotiva 4 channel amp Gen 3

Old 12-29-2016, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 1572
Quote:
Nope, that Yamaha has no pre-amp outputs.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...6130_black__u/

If you get a decent sub to fill in the low end you would be able to run these on "small" though, that might help with the power drain---IF that is really what's causing your being underwhelmed by these speakers.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Old 12-29-2016, 05:59 PM

post edit

Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray
Panamax M5400-PM

Last edited by LFE Junkie; 12-29-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Nope, that Yamaha has no pre-amp outputs.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...6130_black__u/

If you get a decent sub to fill in the low end you would be able to run these on "small" though, that might help with the power drain---IF that is really what's causing your being underwhelmed by these speakers.
Zorba is right, no outputs. Take a look at these:
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html

Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray
Panamax M5400-PM
Old 12-29-2016, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Help, Help, Help,

Thanks alot in advance.
Flagship AVRs that are 4ohm rated would be able to drive these well. A power amp would absolutely help.
Geoff4RFC likes this.

7.2 w/front wides - Pioneer Elite SC-85 - Polk Audio RTi12/CSi3/RT25i - DIY Dual 12" subs/Behringer Inuke3000 - Monster Power 2500
Sharp Aquos 60" - Xbox One - Sony BRP - Plex Server
Old 12-29-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFE Junkie View Post
i would definitely use a power amp such as Emotiva, Outlaw, or Rotel. Make sure you put no less than 200 watts/channel. I have a set of Rtia9 with an Emotiva (280/channel) and had a set of Rti12 back in the day with an Outlaw (200/channel). I will definitely say that these Polks can run you out of the room.

As far as subs, i would recommend talking to Jeff at JTR. I have a couple of cap 1400's coming and for the price, you can't beat them. There are alot of follow ups and personnel reviews of the 1400, just do a search. He also has the 118 and 218 at a very good price.

Thanks, would i be able to add a power amp to the Yamaha HTR 6130, how would i know, at the back of the reciever i dont see any pre out written. Thanks
Old 12-29-2016, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Thanks, would i be able to add a power amp to the Yamaha HTR 6130, how would i know, at the back of the reciever i dont see any pre out written. Thanks
You will need to upgrade your receiver to a model that features preouts, yours does not have them. Give us a budget for a receiver and amplifier

7.2 w/front wides - Pioneer Elite SC-85 - Polk Audio RTi12/CSi3/RT25i - DIY Dual 12" subs/Behringer Inuke3000 - Monster Power 2500
Sharp Aquos 60" - Xbox One - Sony BRP - Plex Server
Old 12-29-2016, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 1573
Quote:
Help, Help, Help,

Thanks alot in advance.
I see that you've gotten a lot of great advice already!

I had used mine for 2ch for quite some time. I had to "groom" them and got them to a place where they sounded incredible *note* these speakers, IMO, are already incredible, and continue to do so even more over time*

I started with an AVR that had pre-outs so I could add an amplifier. 300w or better, IMO, really does the trick.

I made my own speaker cables using 10g copper wire and pure copper connectors.

I also made my own interconnects, from the AVR to the AMP, and from the CD player to the AVR. These I.C.'s are made of dual 16g copper conductors, double shielded, and use silver plated connectors, all soldered.

The materials I selected are intended to protect signal integrity and for maximum conductivity.

I set the A9's to full and use no subwoofer. The A9's on their own, "properly" powered, can produce bass that will surprise you, to put it mildly.

The results.............always worth a listen. I eventually obtained a pair of 703's for 2ch. My wife had grown so accustomed the set up I built using the A9's, that she actually preferred the sound of the A9's over the 703's.

I hope this helps, and congratulations on your new A9's!!!

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
Old 12-29-2016, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 1572
NAD receivers are known for beefy power supplies and putting out lots of oomph in real world usage, the T748 is what I'd get if you're willing to skip many of the "latest and greatest" formats/connections bells and whistles, they are a longtime favorite of music listeners, less so with the gadget-driven HT crowd.

Six hundred new off crutchfield.com and half as much as factory refurbs from spearitsound.com

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Old 12-29-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks, what reciever are you using, is ur sub connected to the reciever for to the power amp.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
You will need to upgrade your receiver to a model that features preouts, yours does not have them. Give us a budget for a receiver and amplifier
Thanks, u mean to say i can go receiverless too. Can i run the speakers and sub both on a power amp or do i need a reciever to add the power amp.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
Flagship AVRs that are 4ohm rated would be able to drive these well. A power amp would absolutely help.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:

what model of emotiva amp do u have.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks, u mean to say i can go receiverless too. Can i run the speakers and sub both on a power amp or do i need a reciever to add the power amp.
my budget is $800.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
what model of emotiva amp do u have.

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-gen3

I have a 3 channel for my front soundstage and also a 4 channel for my surrounds. i will be getting another 4 channel for my atmos in a few months.
yanks1 likes this.

Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray
Panamax M5400-PM
Old 12-30-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks, what reciever are you using, is ur sub connected to the reciever for to the power amp.
i am not using a receiver, i am using the Emotiva XMC-1 pre-amp. Both my subs are hooked up via XLR into the processor. My amps are running balanced xlr to processor.

Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray
Panamax M5400-PM
Old 01-24-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolgod69 View Post
You spoke of distortion with your Polk' s at loud volume? I had a similar issue when I went form my Kenwood KR-V8070 to the Yamaha 673. My Kenwood would put out about 110WPC and the Yamaha only dished out 90WPC. I cranked it up and it sucked and my speakers distorted horrendously. I added a new amp with 300WPC and OMG I have a new system. I cranked these beauties up and my chest starts pounding with the bass with NO distortion. When I turn it back down I feel almost winded and have to catch my breathe. It seems you are trying to push these awesome speakers with minimal power. I only say this because I have not seen you mention anything about an amp. If you really want to get your monies worth, save and add the amp over time when you are ready.
what amp is a good amp to run the polk audio Rti A9, are the 2-3 or 4 channels amp would be good coz i'm planning to also run my JBL E-80 towers as my surround. thanks
Old 01-28-2017, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I run mine with an Outlaw 755 (200 WPC) and it run's the RTi A9's really well, much better than my Denon 3805 (135 WPC) did, particularly at higher volume levels so I'd say look for something capable of 200WPC or better, lotta good Multi Channel Amps out there for different price ranges i.e. Outlaw, Emotiva, Anthem, Marantz, etc...

Best Regards; Snarl

Another Guy From Canada Eh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement