Polk RTiA9 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Polk RTiA9

Speakers

Doofus333's Avatar Doofus333
07:39 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 60
01-12-2013 | Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 2013
My goal is to build a 2.1 system to play music, think Top 40. The problem is that I don't know much about sound systems. So I would greatly appreciate your input.

What do you guys think about the Polk RTiA9?
They are $500 on newegg.
Do you have any suggestions for something <$500?

I'm also looking at the Pioneer SC-1222-K($550), would that be powerful enough for the Polks?

Thanks.
Jay1's Avatar Jay1
10:01 PM Liked: 102
post #2 of 60
01-12-2013 | Posts: 3,986
Joined: Aug 2002
They're $500 each, so your budget is under $1k for the pair? A cheaper option would be the Arx A5, which will be comparable to the polk on the low end, but not as bright up top.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?p=arx-a5-floorstanding-loudspeaker&products_id=227&
Elihawk's Avatar Elihawk
10:45 PM Liked: 203
post #3 of 60
01-12-2013 | Posts: 2,618
Joined: Jan 2011
I think the ascend acoust cmt340s would give the Polk a run for their money...and those are 300 each. A very clear and balanced speaker!
Geoff4RFC's Avatar Geoff4RFC
10:48 PM Liked: 1366
post #4 of 60
01-12-2013 | Posts: 3,704
Joined: May 2010
1K is a great price for a pair of A9's.

Not everyone would agree with me however, there a lot that would, the A9's are a great musical speaker. While considered first an H.T. speaker and a musical speaker second, after coming from Monitor 70's, my wife and I were both impressed with the A9 for 2channel listening.

These speakers are built like tanks, in other words, they can take lots of power, and sound better with lots of power going through them

I first had mine fed with an external amp pushing 200wpc, they sounded way better when I started pushing them with 300wpc.

My goal is to push them with 600wpc.
Jay1's Avatar Jay1
10:59 PM Liked: 102
post #5 of 60
01-12-2013 | Posts: 3,986
Joined: Aug 2002
The A9's are definitely a solid speaker, no doubt. The thing about them that most people dont realize is they need to be backed up against a wall, not pulled out into a room. Being 21" deep, there's a good chance most people will do that anyway. This is necessary for proper low frequency balance. The upper mid/treble is 3 db hot otherwise.
Doofus333's Avatar Doofus333
01:45 AM Liked: 10
post #6 of 60
01-13-2013 | Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 2013
Wow, thanks for all your replies guys.

Elihawk, I checked the ascend acoustic cmt340s and they look a little short. I know this might sounds stupid to most audiophiles but I'm also looking for a nice piece of furniture.

Geoff4RFC, do you think the Pioneer SC-1222-K would be powerful enough?
The website says: 600 watts all channels driven power output. Power rating on receivers is little bit confusing so I'm not sure what this means.

Jay1, these will be against a wall so it should be fine.
Doofus333's Avatar Doofus333
01:46 AM Liked: 10
post #7 of 60
01-13-2013 | Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 2013
Double post.
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2
08:12 AM Liked: 96
post #8 of 60
01-13-2013 | Posts: 2,152
Joined: Oct 2007
EMP e55ti
HTD Level 3
Focal 814v (from accessories4less)
Geoff4RFC's Avatar Geoff4RFC
08:51 AM Liked: 1366
post #9 of 60
01-13-2013 | Posts: 3,704
Joined: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofus333 View Post

Geoff4RFC, do you think the Pioneer SC-1222-K would be powerful enough?
The website says: 600 watts all channels driven power output. Power rating on receivers is little bit confusing so I'm not sure what this means.

That looks like a nice AVR for sure. Rated at 120 watts per channel. I'm not sure if it employs the ICE amps or not. The ICE amps in the Pio AVRS are killer awesome for power delivery.

Regardless, this AVR has preouts so you can add an external amp anytime you want.
Jay1's Avatar Jay1
10:47 AM Liked: 102
post #10 of 60
01-13-2013 | Posts: 3,986
Joined: Aug 2002
I think that Pio is good to go.
Quote:
Amplifier Design Class D3
4 Ohm Speaker Support Yes

Doofus333's Avatar Doofus333
11:13 PM Liked: 10
post #11 of 60
01-17-2013 | Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 2013
I got my Polk RTiA9 speakers and my Pioneer SC-1222-K. Everything sounds amazing! It gets too loud before I can hear any distortion.
Airplay is my favorite feature. Since most of my friends and I have an iPhone we can very easily just play any songs in our library.
Thanks everybody for your help!

I might add a sub at some point. The bass of the Polks is loud and very clear but lacks that punch feeling.

What do you guys think about these:
Hsu VTF2 mk4 ($529)
Premier Acoustic PA-150 (~$350-$425)
Power Sound Audio XV15 ($799)

It doesn't have to be super loud but I would like to feel the bass not just hear it. Tell me if I don't make any sense, haha.
I'm obviously open to any suggestion.
Chriscorv58's Avatar Chriscorv58
12:01 AM Liked: 19
post #12 of 60
01-18-2013 | Posts: 150
Joined: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofus333 View Post

I got my Polk RTiA9 speakers and my Pioneer SC-1222-K. Everything sounds amazing! It gets too loud before I can hear any distortion.
Airplay is my favorite feature. Since most of my friends and I have an iPhone we can very easily just play any songs in our library.
Thanks everybody for your help!

I might add a sub at some point. The bass of the Polks is loud and very clear but lacks that punch feeling.

What do you guys think about these:
Hsu VTF2 mk4 ($529)
Premier Acoustic PA-150 (~$350-$425)
Power Sound Audio XV15 ($799)

It doesn't have to be super loud but I would like to feel the bass not just hear it. Tell me if I don't make any sense, haha.
I'm obviously open to any suggestion.

Congratulations on your new Polk purchases, Dont forget to look at the SVS PB12-NSD -$769(Ported Enclosure) or the SVS SB12-NSD - $649(Sealed) http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers
XStanleyX's Avatar XStanleyX
07:01 AM Liked: 1262
post #13 of 60
01-18-2013 | Posts: 4,701
Joined: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofus333 View Post

I got my Polk RTiA9 speakers and my Pioneer SC-1222-K. Everything sounds amazing! It gets too loud before I can hear any distortion.
Airplay is my favorite feature. Since most of my friends and I have an iPhone we can very easily just play any songs in our library.
Thanks everybody for your help!

I might add a sub at some point. The bass of the Polks is loud and very clear but lacks that punch feeling.

What do you guys think about these:
Hsu VTF2 mk4 ($529)
Premier Acoustic PA-150 (~$350-$425)
Power Sound Audio XV15 ($799)

It doesn't have to be super loud but I would like to feel the bass not just hear it. Tell me if I don't make any sense, haha.
I'm obviously open to any suggestion.

 

Out of your list I'd go for that XV-15 for sure. You wanna feel the bass? That will do it for you. Congrats on the A9's. smile.gif


psuKinger's Avatar psuKinger
08:21 AM Liked: 13
post #14 of 60
01-18-2013 | Posts: 271
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscorv58 View Post

Congratulations on your new Polk purchases, Dont forget to look at the SVS PB12-NSD -$769(Ported Enclosure) or the SVS SB12-NSD - $649(Sealed) http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers

My SVS PB-1000 (one step below the SB12-NSD) should arrive today. I'm pairing it with a pair of Polk Monitor 70's (the "big floorstanding speaker" in the Polk line of speakers that I believe is one step below the RTi line you've purchased).

When buying, what I was looking for in a sub was/is similar to what you expressed above. I'll try to post my thoughts this weekend. You may or may not find them useful.
Doofus333's Avatar Doofus333
12:16 PM Liked: 10
post #15 of 60
01-18-2013 | Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 2013
PsuKinger, that would be great!

XStanleyX, Is there any place where I could find the XV-15 at a better price?
XStanleyX's Avatar XStanleyX
12:38 PM Liked: 1262
post #16 of 60
01-18-2013 | Posts: 4,701
Joined: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofus333 View Post

PsuKinger, that would be great!

XStanleyX, Is there any place where I could find the XV-15 at a better price?

Nope. You can only get it off their site. No middle man so they can keep the cost down. They may have some B stock also at a lower price.

Stan
psuKinger's Avatar psuKinger
02:20 PM Liked: 13
post #17 of 60
01-18-2013 | Posts: 271
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofus333 View Post

PsuKinger, that would be great!

XStanleyX, Is there any place where I could find the XV-15 at a better price?

Looks like it's not going to deliver until tomorrow now. I'll stop back after I get it hooked up and give you some initial thoughts.
XStanleyX's Avatar XStanleyX
02:26 PM Liked: 1262
post #18 of 60
01-18-2013 | Posts: 4,701
Joined: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

Looks like it's not going to deliver until tomorrow now. I'll stop back after I get it hooked up and give you some initial thoughts.

Your lucky. I have to wait til Monday to get the sub I ordered. UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays. Crapola.
psuKinger's Avatar psuKinger
07:19 AM Liked: 13
post #19 of 60
01-20-2013 | Posts: 271
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofus333 View Post

PsuKinger, that would be great!

XStanleyX, Is there any place where I could find the XV-15 at a better price?

Before I share first impressions, 3 things to keep in mind:

1) I've had this thing set up for less than 24 hours... According to the "subwoofer" forum, it takes a while to get these broken in.

2) My infant son has afforded very little of that small amount of time to really let this thing try to *flex* it's muscles.

3) most anything probably would have been a perceivable improvement from what I was upgrading from... I'm *new* to this caliber of speaker. So I have very little in terms of "frame of reference".

That said, so far, I'm very pleased! It definitely growls in a way my old one didn't, and it seems quicker and more articulate too... I think the added load being taken off the Center Channel has improved dialogue as well. So far, so good.
Doofus333's Avatar Doofus333
08:04 PM Liked: 10
post #20 of 60
01-20-2013 | Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 2013
PsuKinger, that's great! How much was it?
Doofus333's Avatar Doofus333
10:00 PM Liked: 10
post #21 of 60
01-20-2013 | Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 2013
After a few hours, the A9s have a lot more bass. Looks like they need to be broke in.
They are a lot more balanced now.
I'm still debating if I need a sub.

Do you guys think a sub is important for music or is it mostly for movies?
XStanleyX's Avatar XStanleyX
10:04 PM Liked: 1262
post #22 of 60
01-20-2013 | Posts: 4,701
Joined: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofus333 View Post

After a few hours, the A9s have a lot more bass. Looks like they need to be broke in.
They are a lot more balanced now.
I'm still debating if I need a sub.

Do you guys think a sub is important for music or is it mostly for movies?

I enjoy both HT and music much more with a sub. It's a must have for my ears. The A9 is a fine speaker but they just can do what a good sub does in the low end. It takes you into another level of audio enjoyment.
Doofus333's Avatar Doofus333
11:56 PM Liked: 10
post #23 of 60
01-20-2013 | Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 2013
I can't argue that the A9 produces the same bass as a good sub but they do a decent job for now.

Is there any kit to make a sub wireless or am I just asking for problems?

Also, if I add a sub does that mean that more power will be used for mid-high sounds. I mean will the A9s sound louder?
XStanleyX's Avatar XStanleyX
12:04 AM Liked: 1262
post #24 of 60
01-21-2013 | Posts: 4,701
Joined: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofus333 View Post

I can't argue that the A9 produces the same bass as a good sub but they do a decent job for now.

Is there any kit to make a sub wireless or am I just asking for problems?

Also, if I add a sub does that mean that more power will be used for mid-high sounds. I mean will the A9s sound louder?

 

Hsu makes a wireless sub (not exactly cheap but a good performer). Not sure about the other companies. You would normally set your X-over to 80Hz and anything below that goes to the sub and takes some stress off your receiver. For now just enjoy those nice speakers. smile.gif


psuKinger's Avatar psuKinger
09:25 AM Liked: 13
post #25 of 60
01-21-2013 | Posts: 271
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofus333 View Post

PsuKinger, that's great! How much was it?

The SVS PB-1000 runs $500. The "next step up", that was recommended to you above, will run you $600+ or $700+ (depending if you opt for the Ported or Sealed variety).
poolgod69's Avatar poolgod69
08:25 PM Liked: 10
post #26 of 60
05-03-2013 | Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 2013
You spoke of distortion with your Polk' s at loud volume? I had a similar issue when I went form my Kenwood KR-V8070 to the Yamaha 673. My Kenwood would put out about 110WPC and the Yamaha only dished out 90WPC. I cranked it up and it sucked and my speakers distorted horrendously. I added a new amp with 300WPC and OMG I have a new system. I cranked these beauties up and my chest starts pounding with the bass with NO distortion. When I turn it back down I feel almost winded and have to catch my breathe. It seems you are trying to push these awesome speakers with minimal power. I only say this because I have not seen you mention anything about an amp. If you really want to get your monies worth, save and add the amp over time when you are ready.
poolgod69's Avatar poolgod69
08:26 PM Liked: 10
post #27 of 60
05-03-2013 | Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 2013
The above thread was supposed to be for Doofus....
basshead81's Avatar basshead81
10:19 PM Liked: 1705
post #28 of 60
05-03-2013 | Posts: 6,443
Joined: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolgod69 View Post

You spoke of distortion with your Polk' s at loud volume? I had a similar issue when I went form my Kenwood KR-V8070 to the Yamaha 673. My Kenwood would put out about 110WPC and the Yamaha only dished out 90WPC. I cranked it up and it sucked and my speakers distorted horrendously. I added a new amp with 300WPC and OMG I have a new system. I cranked these beauties up and my chest starts pounding with the bass with NO distortion. When I turn it back down I feel almost winded and have to catch my breathe. It seems you are trying to push these awesome speakers with minimal power. I only say this because I have not seen you mention anything about an amp. If you really want to get your monies worth, save and add the amp over time when you are ready.

going from 110 watts per channel to 90 is very little difference with a 89db sensitive speaker. it would be less than 1db difference at the same volume.

here is the breakdown of a 89db sensitivity speaker....doubling the power adds 3db.

1watt=89db
2watt=92db
4watt=95db
8watt=98db
16watt=101db
32watt=104db
64watt=107db
128watt=110db
256watt=113db
512watt=116db
PretzelFisch's Avatar PretzelFisch
09:34 AM Liked: 158
post #29 of 60
05-04-2013 | Posts: 527
Joined: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolgod69 View Post

You spoke of distortion with your Polk' s at loud volume? I had a similar issue when I went form my Kenwood KR-V8070 to the Yamaha 673. My Kenwood would put out about 110WPC and the Yamaha only dished out 90WPC. I cranked it up and it sucked and my speakers distorted horrendously. I added a new amp with 300WPC and OMG I have a new system. I cranked these beauties up and my chest starts pounding with the bass with NO distortion. When I turn it back down I feel almost winded and have to catch my breathe. It seems you are trying to push these awesome speakers with minimal power. I only say this because I have not seen you mention anything about an amp. If you really want to get your monies worth, save and add the amp over time when you are ready.

How do you have your amp hooked up to the Yamaha 673? It doesn't have pre outs.
grasshoppers's Avatar grasshoppers
12:19 PM Liked: 170
post #30 of 60
05-04-2013 | Posts: 1,944
Joined: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolgod69 View Post

You spoke of distortion with your Polk' s at loud volume? I had a similar issue when I went form my Kenwood KR-V8070 to the Yamaha 673. My Kenwood would put out about 110WPC and the Yamaha only dished out 90WPC. I cranked it up and it sucked and my speakers distorted horrendously. I added a new amp with 300WPC and OMG I have a new system. I cranked these beauties up and my chest starts pounding with the bass with NO distortion. When I turn it back down I feel almost winded and have to catch my breathe. It seems you are trying to push these awesome speakers with minimal power. I only say this because I have not seen you mention anything about an amp. If you really want to get your monies worth, save and add the amp over time when you are ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post

How do you have your amp hooked up to the Yamaha 673? It doesn't have pre outs.

I am also curious wink.gif

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3