Ground Loop!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-13-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK so I'm having a ground loop problem with my studio monitors. I'm kinda new to the studio but I'm wondering if a DI box would help. My current setup: pc -- m-audio fast track -- power amp -- ns-10's. This puts out a very silent white noise with amp set to lift and a loud buzz with amp set to ground. I am just looking at cheap passive di boxes to put in between the interface and the amp. Will this help the buzzing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-13-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
http://www.avsforum.com/t/402982/cheater-plugs
Chater plugs are not recommended for long term use but I have used them for short term until I corrected the problem.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #3 of 5 Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankoh42 View Post

OK so I'm having a ground loop problem with my studio monitors. I'm kinda new to the studio but I'm wondering if a DI box would help. My current setup: pc -- m-audio fast track -- power amp -- ns-10's. This puts out a very silent white noise with amp set to lift and a loud buzz with amp set to ground. I am just looking at cheap passive di boxes to put in between the interface and the amp. Will this help the buzzing?
Buzzing, ie., high frequency noise, is usually RFI/EMI sourced, not ground loop. Ground loop noise is 60Hz hum. PCs are rather notorious for causing noise issues, usually because of cheap power supplies. But as for white noise, that's probably sourced from the sound card having poor signal to noise specs. Track the source down by first connecting the power amp to the speakers, and then adding devices one at a time back through the chain.
briankoh42 likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-13-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I am looking for a more permanent but cheap solution to this. The problem i found so far occurs in the interface and not the computer (my other computers make the exact same noise). any other ideas?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankoh42 View Post

I am looking for a more permanent but cheap solution to this. The problem i found so far occurs in the interface and not the computer (my other computers make the exact same noise). any other ideas?
If the interface causes the noise it's defective in one way or another. You should take the issue to their support team.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page