post #61 of 73 Old 01-18-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post

ruin another thread? all because i gave my opinion on speakers that i heard. How were they proven to be flawed?
So i think the revel performa3 M105's were bland, had an unnatural way of imaging and they had a sweet spot not larger than the width of my head?don't think anyone proved me wrong on that and if they did then it's all a matter of personal opinion. Other than a nice finish, i think they are a waste of money sound wise when compared to the other speakers i had heard that day.

Quote:

and i don't know why i post about not believing anyones advise on speakers. I think i read the post above mine wrong. I don't know, i have fever and it's kicking my ass. I can admit when i'm wrong. sorry

Quote:

i like how some people pop up out of no where to offend you when they find it easiest to do after they read someone getting piled up on by people who love a brand and will tell someone they are wrong when they haven't even heard the speaker lol.
I was just trying to help people out.

Thanks for proving my point re: ruining another thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 01-18-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayter View Post

So Jerry , The calculator gave the final answer I've reached before at 88 in-room sensitivity, with the Paradigm milleniaOne , in stereo 2.0 listening , at 4 meters apart ,
WHich was 99 Spl acoustic volume ....

I think the calculators -6db / doubling of distance is overly conservative and would put the number closer to 102db. I'm not sure that 3db is worth discussing; esp when it's room dependent.

But you have incorrect numbers for the speakers as well.

The MilleniaOne is a 50w speaker, not a 100w speaker. (-3db)
It's 89 db in room, not 88 (+1db)

Worse: it's LFE (76Hz) is awfully near a reasonable crossover. That's the point that's going to have the most problem at top volume (as it has the most xmax need)

And it's an awfully little speaker to ask to power a reference level HT at a 15' listening distance.

The thread asked about studios; not Millenias.
post #63 of 73 Old 01-18-2013, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
troll much lmao

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
post #64 of 73 Old 01-18-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
This thread has been entertaining. LOL

Listen to both and decide based on that. If you contact Jim Salk he'll work with you to see if there is a local owner. Different rooms isn't ideal, but you'll get a good idea of the sound signature of each speaker. And to be honest, a good speaker will sound good in a variety of rooms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #65 of 73 Old 01-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
I have not read everything in this thread, but I want to add that I got a chance to demo the Studio 100's last night and listen to a couple movie scenes as well as some music.. They are impressive speakers for sure, they sounded very natural to me.. Vocals on the 590 center were amazing.

I don't think you would be dissapointed with them..

I have made it a promise to myself that I will never buy speakers blindly, 30 day home guarntee or not.. I will not buying something unless its some crazy good deal unless I can audition them first.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #66 of 73 Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

I think the calculators -6db / doubling of distance is overly conservative and would put the number closer to 102db. I'm not sure that 3db is worth discussing; esp when it's room dependent.

But you have incorrect numbers for the speakers as well.

The MilleniaOne is a 50w speaker, not a 100w speaker. (-3db)
It's 89 db in room, not 88 (+1db)

Worse: it's LFE (76Hz) is awfully near a reasonable crossover. That's the point that's going to have the most problem at top volume (as it has the most xmax need)

And it's an awfully little speaker to ask to power a reference level HT at a 15' listening distance.

The thread asked about studios; not Millenias.

Hey smile.gif

I know The Milleniaone is rated at 89dB in room , but most reviewers claim it doesn't exceed 88dB in their tests .

Secondly , you said before it's gonna reach the reference level so easily , even at sustained volumes.

Third , have you read Brent Butterworth review of these at Sound&Vision magazine . He said :
"Even at full Dolby reference level, with a maximum output of 105 dB per channel, the MilleniaOne satellites never audibly distorted. That could be a bad thing, though; I know those tiny 4-inch woofers can only take so much, and I’d prefer they distort a little when they’re under stress so that I know when to back off. If I wanted something that never complains and then suddenly blows up, I’d go back to my ex-wife (cue rimshot)." . Weird . Isn''t it ?!

Four , Regarding the Studios , I know that theoretically it should be easily driven due to high efficiency , but I've read in so many places that they are extremely power hungry and would be night and day when feeding them with huge power amps .

I shall be telling this with a sigh..
Somewhere ages and ages hence..
Two roads diverged in a wood and I..
I took the one less-travelled by..
And that has made all the difference..
post #67 of 73 Old 01-20-2013, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Hey smile.gif

I know The Milleniaone is rated at 89dB in room , but most reviewers claim it doesn't exceed 88dB in their tests .

Secondly , you said before it's gonna reach the reference level so easily , even at sustained volumes.

Third , have you read Brent Butterworth review of these at Sound&Vision magazine . He said :
"Even at full Dolby reference level, with a maximum output of 105 dB per channel, the MilleniaOne satellites never audibly distorted. That could be a bad thing, though; I know those tiny 4-inch woofers can only take so much, and I’d prefer they distort a little when they’re under stress so that I know when to back off. If I wanted something that never complains and then suddenly blows up, I’d go back to my ex-wife (cue rimshot)." . Weird . Isn''t it ?!

Four , Regarding the Studios , I know that theoretically it should be easily driven due to high efficiency , but I've read in so many places that they are extremely power hungry and would be night and day when feeding them with huge power amps .

I had the 5 speaker Millenia system in my bedroom and they shocked me that they did so well. I then bumped up to the Studio 10 v5's with just a AVR then added a 200 watt amp and noticed a good jump. I now run the Sig 2's and they sound insane with a 200 watt amp.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #68 of 73 Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think 1db is not enough to make or break a position.

Quote:
I was not talking about the MelinniaOne. The sustained 80db should be no problem; but the 105 peaks would seem to be an issue.

Quote:
"Even at full Dolby reference level, with a maximum output of 105 dB per channel, the MilleniaOne satellites never audibly distorted.
Well. Let's do the math. Under the most ideal of circumstances (1m, no compression) that would be 50W of power (+17db from 1w).

Of course, move 3 feet farther away (-6db) and suddenly it's 200W of power. Which is double its rated power-handling. Get even 3db of compression and it's gonna take 400W.

Quote:
I ran my Studio 40s (as hungry as anything below the 100 is) off my Marantz AVR.

Still: I generally believe that any time we are having to get detailed about power compression and distortion and clipping and reference volumes... we likely should be looking at external amplification.
post #69 of 73 Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

I had the 5 speaker Millenia system in my bedroom and they shocked me that they did so well. I then bumped up to the Studio 10 v5's with just a AVR then added a 200 watt amp and noticed a good jump. I now run the Sig 2's and they sound insane with a 200 watt amp.

The Paradigm Milleniaone shocks .

I'm happy you fell in love with the Signatres S2 . I've used to listen to the S6 for a lot of time and really enjoying every little detail and soundstaging wideness that come out of them .

Do you think Signature s2 would outperform the Studio 100's ? ( price is very close)
Quote:

I ran my Studio 40s (as hungry as anything below the 100 is) off my Marantz AVR.

Some say that Paradigm studio 60 would sound better than the 100's if not fed the proper way . think you're feeding a beast . smile.gif

post #70 of 73 Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

The Paradigm Milleniaone shocks .

I'm happy you fell in love with the Signatres S2 . I've used to listen to the S6 for a lot of time and really enjoying every little detail and soundstaging wideness that come out of them .

Do you think Signature s2 would outperform the Studio 100's ? ( price is very close)
Some say that Paradigm studio 60 would sound better than the 100's if not fed the proper way . think you're feeding a beast . smile.gif

I had to make a choice between the Studio 100's and Sig2's. Since this is a bedroom setup i went with the Sig2's as i use a sub.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #71 of 73 Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

I had to make a choice between the Studio 100's and Sig2's. Since this is a bedroom setup i went with the Sig2's as i use a sub.

If it wasn't a bedroom setup , what would you have chosen ?

People say Signature S2 outperform studio 100 in nearly every aspect , except for the low end .. smile.gif

post #72 of 73 Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it wasn't a bedroom setup , what would you have chosen ?

People say Signature S2 outperform studio 100 in nearly every aspect , except for the low end .. smile.gif
I too have S2s in the bedroom HT.

I would have chosen them over the 100 regardless of where. I prefer the sound of the S2 and can come up with nothing it cannot do (paired with a sub) that the 100 can.

I'm presently saving my pennies to replace them with Salks.
post #73 of 73 Old 01-20-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I too have S2s in the bedroom HT.

I would have chosen them over the 100 regardless of where. I prefer the sound of the S2 and can come up with nothing it cannot do (paired with a sub) that the 100 can.

I'm presently saving my pennies to replace them with Salks.

Amazing set , I think . smile.gif

It seems I'll rethink of these instead of the Studio 100's . I was gonna buy them next month .

And considering the Salks . Seems you're not regret . Good luck wink.gif

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page