Pioneer FS52, BIC DV64 or Energy CF-30? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to decide between these three sets of speakers. all are within what i'm willing to spend right now. I'll be using them for lots of movies and some gaming in my ht. If you had to pick one of these, which one and why? Remember, I'm not listening to any music at all with this setup. I couldn't find any direct comparisons between any 2 of these, let alone all 3.

If you have any other suggestions for a pair of floor standing speakers in the 200-280 range, feel free, but i'd appreciate it if you offer your opinions on these three first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 402
The Pioneer FS52s are fantastic speakers for the price. You will need a subwoofer for movies and games.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

The Pioneer FS52s are fantastic speakers for the price. You will need a subwoofer for movies and games.

have you heard either of the other two? from what i've read, i've been most impressed with the dv64.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I've heard of the other two speakers as well but I've only listened to the CF-70s in the CF line. I think that you could audition either the FS52s or CF-30s at Best Buy. That would be the best way to decide. Bring in some of your favorite movies and listen to these speakers.

post #5 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
One thing you need to keep in mind is that sensitivity is the key specification that you should look hard at when choosing any speaker.

I know that the Pioneers have VERY low sensitivity, which can be a problem.

Each 3 db/watt lowering of sensitivity means you need TWICE as much power to get a given sound level.

If one speaker has 6 db less sensitivity than another, that means it demands FOUR TIMES as much power to get the same listening level, and if your receiver doesn't have it distortion is the result.

I suggest that you consider the Pok R300 speakers, which have 89 db per watt sensitivity and are only $200 per pair from Amazon now. These are good-sounding speakers for this price level.

Polk also gives you a 5 year warranty on parts and labor, which is very good.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

One thing you need to keep in mind is that sensitivity is the key specification that you should look hard at when choosing any speaker.

I know that the Pioneers have VERY low sensitivity, which can be a problem..

Have you ever heard the Pioneers? Just because they have low sensitivity does not mean they will sound bad. I have them and have no problems getting them to be loud. I owned the Polk Monitor 60's before them and it's not even close - the Pioneers are the better speakers by far - to my ears.

To the OP - I would get the Pioneers but I would also suggest going to listen to both them and the CF30s at BB in their showroom - not out on the floor. The only way you can audition the BICs would be to purchase them and then return them if you don't like them.

post #7 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaw612 View Post

Have you ever heard the Pioneers? Just because they have low sensitivity does not mean they will sound bad. I have them and have no problems getting them to be loud. I owned the Polk Monitor 60's before them and it's not even close - the Pioneers are the better speakers by far - to my ears..

Yes the Pioneers are not that hard to drive - and they can get loud in a big room.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Now you are just expressing opinions! I have the Polk m40s and compared them to the pioneer Bs41...and IMHO, the polks were head and shoulders better. Just my opinion, however. And I hear that series 2 is improved! Just felt the pioneer sounded tinty and cheap compared to the polls (which then sounded tinty and weak when compared to the def tech SM 450s!)

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #9 of 10 Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

well, the pioneers looked cheap when i went to look at them, so no go. I ended up going with the energy cf30's since i already have energy in that room (cc-10 center, and take classics for rear and surround speakers).

the bics went down to 126 each. those were my first choice but i was concerned that some reviewers said there's no mid-range drivers (?), and then i'd have to sell my cc-10 (which i LOVE) and get a bic center. and then there was the whole "what if i don't like them?" thing, shipping those back would have been a PITA.

Cf30's will be here tomorrow, been holding off on watching anything till they get here since my right tower speaker is currently inoperable.

thanks everyone for the input!

Question: no one has heard the BIC DV64? I can't remember the last time i saw such universally positive reviews on such a cheap speaker.

If it matters:

Pioneers-120 plus tax each (new)
CF-30-112 shipped each (floor model)
dv64- 140 shipped each at time of OP (new)
post #10 of 10 Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a good choice since you have a matching center. Enjoy!

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page