HTD Level Two VS B&W 685 vs KEF Q100/300: Joe Guys Opinion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Alright, so as I search for some higher end speakers, don't get me wrong I love these HTD's for the price, I decided to take my HTD Level two bookshelf speakers to a local AV store and put them up against some higher end speaker offerings. I am in the market for floor standers but figured for surrounds in the future I would compare these HTDs and figure it may put some valuable input out there for people. I am not an audio expert, so these are just Joe Guys opinion.

Keep in mind we are comparing ~$200 dollar speaker with speakers that cost 3x as much.

These were tested on a Marantz 50W Stereo AMP/CD Player, FLAC audio files played through my media player in the aux input in a room that was acoustically treated. I don't how much or with what, but their were panels all over the wall and no echo.

Songs used:

Wayman Tisdale: If you want me to stay
Dave Matthews Live at radio city: Some Devil
Dave Matthews live at radio city: Grace Is gone
Eric Calpton and BB King: 3'O Clock Blues
Adele: Set Fire to the Rain
:Yanni Live at El Morro Puerto Rico: The Rain must fall
AC/DC: Back in black

A few others as well, but these were listened to through and through.

First up the HTD Level Two:

The HTD's have a great neutral sound, maybe a little on the soft side, vocals are clear but sound somewhat held back like someone is singing through a piece of cloth, lows are handled surprisingly well, though do get a little muddy when there is a lot of lower end notes coinciding with each other. Highs sound great for the most part, but somewhat break up with some acoustic tracks when a high note is plucked a little harsh, such as Some Devil by dave matthews and a few small parts in Back in Black, the same with harsh loud high vocals, such as when BB King gets is "scream" , though to my suprise, when adele does in deed set fire to the rain, the speakers never broke a sweat, which is amazing for how high her voice gets. They sound great but some notes just make the tweeters break up and sound a little crackly. I have noticed this in my own experience here at home obviously, but having nothing to compare to side by side, I was unsure if it was an artifact of the track or the speakers themselves. Overall though they do surprisingly well, and being back in my own house not switching back and forth, I still think they sound amazing.

B&W 685:

Keep in mind I am comparing all of these with my HTD speakers, as I have no "reference" system for comparison, so I am using a baseline I know really well by now and comparing.

These speakers have a very in your face sound compared to the HTD's, I would not call it Harsh, i personally prefer the brighter sound to my HTD's. They have a bit more detail in the range of frequencies, there doesn't seem to be a single range that outshines the other, in regards to mids, lows and highs, they all blend very well together. The bass is not as much as the HTD to my suprise, given this is a 6.25" driver compared to the 5.25" of the HTD. While there was not as much bass, it did sound much tighter and cleaner than the HTD, it did not struggle on the lower frequencies like the HTD did, while it was not as loud it was clean. Vocals sound much clearer, like the veil of cloth has been lifted, the mids had much more detail overall and while the HTD at times felt like the mids were all blending together, the B&W did a much better job of separating the sounds in the mid range. I would honestly say at this point it comes down to sound preference especially if your going to use a sub, while there is deffinately a little more clarity in what I would call mid range sounds, I think unless you're a true audiophile and listening to these speakers side by side, you would be happy either way. Now where these speakers really shine is their highs, all the wonderful sound coming from that aluminum dome tweeter. The highs on the 685 were just outstanding, while there was a few moments where the tweeter seemed to break up ever so slightly, such as the harsh string plucks of a guitar in the dave matthews recording, it was hardly as noticeable, it was a brief ever so slight hiccup that i really only caught after i went back and played the specific part a few times. The highs were not harsh to my ears at all, they sounded natural to me, maybe a tad bright at times. When listening to 3'O Clock blues, If I closed my eyes I could have sworn BB King was playing his guitar and singing in front of me. Now I will make a brief mention of the 683 Towers here, with the 3 way crossover, 3 O Clock blues was the best sounding thing I have ever heard, more clear and more concise than the 685, granted somewhat comparing apples to oranges here, but HOLY CRAP! The 685's seem like a well rounded bookshelf speaker, they are very natural sounding, sound separations i guess I would call them are much more accurate and easier to pick out, and highs are just out of this world compared to the HTD.

KEF Q100/300:

This is going to be more about the KEF Q300 as I listened to this the most, but I will say the only real difference to my ears between the Q100 and the Q300 is the BASS, the Q300 puts out much more low end than the Q100, but mids/highs sounded quite similar.

These speakers I would say sit somewhere in between the HTD and the 685 in regards to being Neutral/Bright. They are not quite as in your face overall and clear as the B&W's but not quite as muffled sounding as the HTD's. The KEF is by far the winner in the BASS department. This speaker for its small size throws out an incredible ammount of bass, I was quite shocked to be honest, it sounded tight and clean, though I do think the B&W sounded a little cleaner despite not putting out as much. The mids I was somewhat let down by, I honestly believe the HTD was a little more detailed in the mid range sound department. Sounds seemed to blend together to much for me with the KEF, I was unable to hear individual instruments as much as I could with the HTD's and even more so with the B&W's. I was really quite shocked given the little I know about KEFs odd driver design, I was expecting them to work quite well together but it seemed like the more mid/high range sounds just blended together to much. The highs were interesting, I always hear people refer to KEF as bright, I will agree somewhat. For the most part I was let down by the highs, while they were always clean like the B&W's but they lacked the detail the HTD's and B&W's had in my opinion, though not with everything, some tracks sounded very detailed while others seemed somewhat dull, the thing that I really did not like is certain high notes/frequencies seemed to really spike on the KEF's, certain notes would get very harsh, while otheres seemed soft. They did not seem as level as other speakers I sampled even going outside of the KEF's and B&W's. I felt like the KEF's were all over the place with their sound while the others seemed to transition between notes quite well. I still think they sounded great, but as you break it down they just felt a little unrefined.

Out of these 3 I would deff say the 685 is the winner. It just overall had the most detail and best sound to me. While it does have its short comings with some harsher highs, I would deffinately take the HTD's second, and the KEF 3rd, despite it being a more expensive speaker and what most would consider a different class of speaker all together, I just felt it lacked overall detail, and to much just did not sound all that great.

Editors Note: Again, I am not an audio expert, this "review" is kind of all over the place, I may have miss used terms, but I hope I explained well enough so that you understand what it is I am saying. This is just my opinion of these 3 speakers and my findings and feelings on them. These speakers all have many listening hours on them, they all used them same test setup, no EQ, just a what you see is what you get type of deal.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-14-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Very interesting observations. I have not heard the HDTs nor the Q300 but I have three 685s in our living room area. I did an extensive comparison between the 685s and Kef IQ30s quite a while back. They were close but I gave the edge to the 685s primarily due to the tweeter, the 1" on the 685s vs 3/4" on the IQ30s. With what I read on the Q300s I expected them to have a slight edge on the 685s. Your impressions make me want to hear the Q300s now as What HiFi gave them 5 stars and they don't mind ripping any brand. Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #3 of 4 Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

Very interesting observations. I have not heard the HDTs nor the Q300 but I have three 685s in our living room area. I did an extensive comparison between the 685s and Kef IQ30s quite a while back. They were close but I gave the edge to the 685s primarily due to the tweeter, the 1" on the 685s vs 3/4" on the IQ30s. With what I read on the Q300s I expected them to have a slight edge on the 685s. Your impressions make me want to hear the Q300s now as What HiFi gave them 5 stars and they don't mind ripping any brand. Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Very welcome, the point of this was not to appear like im pretending to know what I'm talking about, just to explain the best way I can what my ears being a someone newbie to the audio frontier.

The Q300's just had an odd sound to me, I personally expected a lot more, the tweeter was not kind to my ears sound harsh sometimes and flat at others, just seemed a little all over. Knit picking aside and just a flat out listening experiance, they sounded fine, they just had little quirks I did not care for compared to many other speaker I heard and obviously the ones outlined I paid close attention to.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #4 of 4 Old 01-14-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Interesting impressions. I have some 685s (not currently being used, replaced with CM5s purchased for much less than MSRP) and have heard the Q300s. I like both but would give the edge to the Q300s. We all have our preferences though. smile.gif

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page