Need advise to choose my speakers please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
bobsensor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I would need your advise concerning the purchase of my floorstanding speakers.

My present setup is consisted of:

Receiver = marantz sr7002
Front speakers = Bose v501
Surround and center = JBL
Sub = none

Room size 12' wide 20' long

My usage is 80% music 20% movies

I would like to replace my 20 years old Bose front speakers, with higher quality speakers that will do justice to my marantz.

I know it's really not the best thing to do, but i will be doing a blind purchase. I live in Canada, and purchasing form amazon USA would represent a lot of savings... So it's wort the risk.

Here is what I found so far


Canton GLE 490.2 Speaker- Single (Black)
by Canton
Reg $749.50 sale $499.95


Definitive Technology BP8 Tower Loudspeaker (Single, Black)
by Definitive Technology
Reg $499.00 sale $224.47

Definitive Technology BP7006 120v Tower Speaker (Single, Left Channel, Black)
by Definitive Technology
Reg $649.00$ sale 329.00


MartinLogan Motion 10 Floorstanding Speaker (Black Ash, each)
by Martin
Reg $499.95$ sale 199.00



At first I was attracted by the by the bp7006, because Of the integrated sub.. But one of my friends told my that it's not the best thing for me since my main usage is for music in PURE DIRECT mode

A sub is not essential for my because when I watch a movie, my kids and wife are sleeping and I can't crank the volume that much.


All your advise or other suggestions would be really appreciated


Thank you
Alexi
bobsensor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 487
IMO, you should consider:
- shopping for gently-used speakers on sites such as canuckaudiomart.com or, more locally, [yourcity].kijiji.ca and used[yourcity].com; and
- adding an SVS SB12-NSD ($649) or SB-1000 ($499), available in Canada through SVS' Canadian distributor, SonicBoomAudio.com.

Buying gently-used speakers can net you some very good gear and very reasonable prices. The sub will give you good low-frequency performance, and it can be dialled in and turned down as required (or turned up as desired).

Oh, and I recommend Paradigm speakers. smile.gif
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
bobsensor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

IMO, you should consider:
- shopping for gently-used speakers on sites such as canuckaudiomart.com or, more locally, [yourcity].kijiji.ca and used[yourcity].com; and
- adding an SVS SB12-NSD ($649) or SB-1000 ($499), available in Canada through SVS' Canadian distributor, SonicBoomAudio.com.

Buying gently-used speakers can net you some very good gear and very reasonable prices. The sub will give you good low-frequency performance, and it can be dialled in and turned down as required (or turned up as desired).

Oh, and I recommend Paradigm speakers. smile.gif

Thank you for your reply.... I will take a look at your suggestions

My father lives in the USA and I go there pretty often.. So it's not a big deal for me to order from amazon.com

Could you please advise on my suggestions.

Thank you
Ale i
bobsensor is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,645
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsensor View Post

My father lives in the USA and I go there pretty often.. So it's not a big deal for me to order from amazon.com

Since you are in Canda, research the Energy RC-70s that are on sale at Future Shop. Very, very good for music.

However, for movie watching, it's better to have matching speakers for the front left, right, and center in your front soundstage. If that is a concern of yours, it is hard to get the matching center now for the RC-70s. Not sure about the other speakers you have picked out.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is online now  
post #5 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Could you please advise on my suggestions.
Sure: +1 to cel4145's suggestion on RC-70s, especially if you're not considering a multi-channel HT set-up.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
bobsensor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Since you are in Canda, research the Energy RC-70s that are on sale at Future Shop. Very, very good for music.

However, for movie watching, it's better to have matching speakers for the front left, right, and center in your front soundstage. If that is a concern of yours, it is hard to get the matching center now for the RC-70s. Not sure about the other speakers you have picked out.

Thank you so much.... I will take a look at the energy

Forget what I said about Canada, i'm now moving to the USA .... I would really like to purchase from amazon because of good past experiences.

If someone could comment on my original post it would be really appreciated.... If there is other good deals on amazon.com I would gladly like to hear your suggestions

Thank you very much! Great forum

Alexi
bobsensor is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 01-16-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Where are you moving in the USA. Will this increase your ability to listen to speakers before you purchase?

What's your total budget for speakers? Does that include fronts, center and surrounds?

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #8 of 14 Old 01-16-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
If someone could comment on my original post it would be really appreciated.... If there is other good deals on amazon.com I would gladly like to hear your suggestions
OK, well, in your original post you listed speakers ranging from $199/ea. to $499/ea. Why did you choose these speakers? What are your requirements / expectations / preferences?

Based on the fact that it has a five-star rating, I think you should get the Klipsch F-30 @ $499/ea. Same price as the Canton and it's very well rated.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,645
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsensor View Post

Thank you so much.... I will take a look at the energy

Forget what I said about Canada, i'm now moving to the USA .... I would really like to purchase from amazon because of good past experiences.

Those RC-70s are a very good deal at $800 a pair and would be worth bringing with you. Hard to find in the US now. They are discontinued.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is online now  
post #10 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
bobsensor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

OK, well, in your original post you listed speakers ranging from $199/ea. to $499/ea. Why did you choose these speakers? What are your requirements / expectations / preferences?

Based on the fact that it has a five-star rating, I think you should get the Klipsch F-30 @ $499/ea. Same price as the Canton and it's very well rated.


My max budget is 1000$ for the pair. the reason I chose those speakers is from the great reviews and reputation that they have. it's also important for me to get a good bang for the buck. so if I can get 2000$ speakers a 50 or 60% off... well it would be fun. Once I have narrowed down to 3 or 4 speakers I will do my best to find a place to go listen to them.

my requirements are anything that will work with my marantz sr7002 and that are not to big (small to medium footprint)

my expectations are to have a well balanced sound for all types of music

my preferences,.. 80% music (jazz, classical, pop) 20% movies


I also found these on newegg... they sound like a great deal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325015

I will take a look at the Klipsch F-30


thank you so much for your advise

alexi
bobsensor is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Member
 
head_unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Heh heh, after all the blathering about Amazon, I think you mean
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-Tower-Loudspeaker-Single/dp/B001A6G82C
;-D

Bipolar speakers emit a lot of sound out of the back. So these must be positioned well out from the wall in a good-sized room. Or, choose something else:
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_12000/Floor-standing-Speakers.html?tp=185
Polk Audio RTi A7 catches my eye here (plus the same NHT as below). Should have a smooth, accurate sound.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=58
The NHT Absolute Tower for $499 each hits your budget and jumps out at me the most. Really nice guys, dedicated to making great sounding products, invariably well reviewed.

More money DOES buy you better speakers, and speakers will outlive your car, your dog, probably your current house/apartment/condo, maybe your relationship. It makes sense to spend a lot of money on speakers because you will get value back from the expenditure.
head_unit is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
bobsensor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks head unit.... I like your reply

I also like your suggestions....

Nth look great but the Frequency Response Curve of 58Hz - 20kHz. Scares me a bit since I mainly listen to music and don't want to by a sub

Polk looks also as a good choice


What's the difference between the dt pb8b and the bp8?


What do you think about the canton?... Not to many reviews out there

Alexi
bobsensor is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 01-18-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JerryLove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Yea. 58 is a bit high for a lack of a sub. Whether too high is subjective.
JerryLove is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
bobsensor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post

Heh heh, after all the blathering about Amazon, I think you mean
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-Tower-Loudspeaker-Single/dp/B001A6G82C
;-D

Bipolar speakers emit a lot of sound out of the back. So these must be positioned well out from the wall in a good-sized room. Or, choose something else:
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_12000/Floor-standing-Speakers.html?tp=185
Polk Audio RTi A7 catches my eye here (plus the same NHT as below). Should have a smooth, accurate sound.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=58
The NHT Absolute Tower for $499 each hits your budget and jumps out at me the most. Really nice guys, dedicated to making great sounding products, invariably well reviewed.

More money DOES buy you better speakers, and speakers will outlive your car, your dog, probably your current house/apartment/condo, maybe your relationship. It makes sense to spend a lot of money on speakers because you will get value back from the expenditure.

[IMG]




Here is a picture of my current setup.... There is 14" of space in back of the speaker and 8" for the right speaker to the wall.... In a year or two, i will replace my tv and set it on the wall and my center Chanel will be jacked up and centered in the room. The left speaker will be placed closer to the left wall.

Is it a good setup for bipolar speakers?
bobsensor is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off