Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Greetings:

I would like to do a 6.1 instad of 7.1. My speaker system are: Polks RTiA7 Mains, CS2 Center, and pair Rti4 surrounds located at the back (Not at the sides).

Yesterday I made a test and use a Center Channel (a borrowed CS1) as Back Surrounds placed exactly in the middle of the rear wall; the Rti4 speakers are about 5 feet away from the rear center channel (Polk CS1).

Honesty is sounds pretty good. I can do a 7.1 by buying a pair of RT4; but this 6.1 with all 3 speakers at the back sounds pretty good' and also looks better on my HT room than making a 7.1 by moving the surrounds to the sides and adding 2 more speakers for rear back surrounds. Only BlackOps2 was tested for this audio test; not any movies yet. Today I will try Hulk and Avengers to see how it performs.

My question is if getting a pair or a single RTi4 for the 6.1 or getting a center channel in which has two 5.25" drivers plus a dome tweeter?

I know CS1 are not match with RTis; but because are used for back surrounds then Im not sure if it affects as much as when timbre match on fronts!...

Please Reply ASAP for any who experienced same situation as me! (Center Channel for 6.1 which has two 5.25" drivers or use a single Rti4 speaker; the same one I used for surrounds which is only one 5.25" driver.

Buying the CSi A4 is way expensive; in which is the perfect match! and repalce my CS2 with a CSi A6 but buying both are too way expensive!!....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Timbre-matching your surrounds is not as critical as timbre-matching your front three speakers. There's substantially less content coming from the back. If you like how the CC speaker works in your 6.1 set-up, use it and enjoy it.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
The Cambridge S50 is an excellent center speaker.

You might want to get it.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Great. I will check that Cambridge S50 speaker. So; that means I can use a center channel then.. Thats excellent. I have a pair of Polk Monitor 40 I dont use and use one of them as single "Center Rear Surround"; but will not look good because Depth of that speaker is like 11" ; but I beleive it still works as center if placed horizontally.

Maybe I can use one of my Rti4 and place it at rear center to see how it performs.... My receiver is a Pioneer 1222. Realy awesome; I like it lot better than my Denon 3311CI
post #5 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I don't think the Monitor 40 is a good choice for a center speaker; it would too boomy and not have the midrange clarity you want (or the correct orientation on its side).

The Polk Monitor 30 will make good inexpensive rear speakers.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Cool! I will keep your suggestions... CambridgeS50 or check Monitor 30's. If I can get a nice deal of RTi4's then better!..or a CS1 biggrin.gif The Infinity Primus PC351 looks pretty awesome. What about that?

UPDATE: I checked CambrdgeS50. For that price I can get a pair of Rti4s for $30 less .... Now what" Consider better the RTi4s?

UPDATE2: Newegg has "Polk Audio CSR Black" for $49.. Seems an excellent deal or keep a pair of RTi4s for $159?
post #7 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I don't think the Monitor 40 is a good choice for a center speaker; it would too boomy and not have the midrange clarity you want (or the correct orientation on its side).

The Polk Monitor 30 will make good inexpensive rear speakers.

Are you actually suggesting that having a horizontal center is better than a matching vertical center? If you are, that's incorrect information (as usual on center channels).
post #8 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What I mean is to use one of my Polk Monitor 40 as rear surround speaker; placed in the center of the wall but placed horizontally. What do you think brfreedma?
post #9 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post

What I mean is to use one of my Polk Monitor 40 as rear surround speaker; placed in the center of the wall but placed horizontally. What do you think brfreedma?

I would focus on moving your surround speakers to the proper location(the side walls, not the back). If you can't do that, then I wouldn't bother with any additional channels.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page