QSC for Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-15-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been reading all of the QSC threads on here, but haven't been able to come to a solid conclusion. What is the best QSC for Home Theater use? The K or KW and which of the K or KW? I will be sticking them behind a AT screen, either commercial woven (maybe Seymour AV) or DIY spandex. It will be a 130-140" 2.35:1 screen and I'll be sitting 12.5' away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-15-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yikes! No love for the QSC's I guess.

post #3 of 12 Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeonicxpression View Post

Yikes! No love for the QSC's I guess.

I use QSC and Crown Itech 8000 amps. I would not change a thing.

Keep rocking,

Robert
post #4 of 12 Old 01-15-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
What are you trying to power? QSC makes great stuff. Will the fan noise be masked in your setup?

I use an ART SLA amp, the fans are very quiet. Power output isnt very high though.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

What are you trying to power? QSC makes great stuff. Will the fan noise be masked in your setup?

I use an ART SLA amp, the fans are very quiet. Power output isnt very high though.

I'm looking at using the K12, KW122 or KW152 for my LCR behind an acoustically transparent screen. They have a 1000 watt amp built into them. From what I've read the amps don't get taxed enough in a home theater enviorment for the fan to kick in.

post #6 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 AM

Liked: 12
I should think the K series would be more than enough in your room. I've never used them in a home theater situation, but I've used the K8 for small concerts (100 people) and as concert center fills in a 450 seat theater. They are amazing little speakers! The K8, K10 & K12 all have different area coverage, so you might want to measure to see which will give the best sound stage in your room.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackiefan View Post

I should think the K series would be more than enough in your room. I've never used them in a home theater situation, but I've used the K8 for small concerts (100 people) and as concert center fills in a 450 seat theater. They are amazing little speakers! The K8, K10 & K12 all have different area coverage, so you might want to measure to see which will give the best sound stage in your room.

I didn't even think about the coverage area. The K12 the narrowest coverage area, which I would think would be all I would need. I attached a picture with the speakers drawn and a 75 degree arc. Anyone see anything wrong with this? Will it sound like a mess? I have a friend who is a DJ and has them in his basement theater, but I havent heard them yet. He can get them for me at almost dealer cost.

post #8 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
If your set on QSC K or KW, I'd opt for the KW153 3-way speaker. It will have better mid-range performance then the other 2-way designs. They are great speakers. As for subs, I would look elsewhere for a home theater application. Something that can play down to AT LEAST 20Hz would be nice
post #9 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

If your set on QSC K or KW, I'd opt for the KW153 3-way speaker. It will have better mid-range performance then the other 2-way designs. They are great speakers. As for subs, I would look elsewhere for a home theater application. Something that can play down to AT LEAST 20Hz would be nice

I was thinking the KW153's. They are quite a step up in price, but thought the extra 6.5" cone for the mids would be nice. As for a sub, I already have a SVS PC13-Ultra. It's serving duty in my living room upstairs, but will make it's way downstairs once finished. It shakes the whole house when it hits hard.

post #10 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

Also, I noticed you said "If your set on QSC K or KW". I'm not totally set on them. Do you have other suggestions?

post #11 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There are a few of us who use pro speakers in their home theater. Most of us are in the DIY section becuase of the greater knowledge base. QSC makes excellent products and have a cinema line http://www.qscaudio.com/products/cinema_products.htm). The cinema speakers are generally pretty expensive compared to a general use SR speaker. I use JBL cinema speakers, but found a great deal used. Of the cinema lines there are QSC, JBL, Klipsch just to name a few of the most popular you'll find at your local theater.
Even Pioneer makes a line (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Professional/Pro-Speakers/TSC-3415,+TSC-3215,+TSC-1118SW+Cinema+Speaker+Systems).
post #12 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post

There are a few of us who use pro speakers in their home theater. Most of us are in the DIY section becuase of the greater knowledge base. QSC makes excellent products and have a cinema line http://www.qscaudio.com/products/cinema_products.htm). The cinema speakers are generally pretty expensive compared to a general use SR speaker. I use JBL cinema speakers, but found a great deal used. Of the cinema lines there are QSC, JBL, Klipsch just to name a few of the most popular you'll find at your local theater.
Even Pioneer makes a line (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Professional/Pro-Speakers/TSC-3415,+TSC-3215,+TSC-1118SW+Cinema+Speaker+Systems).

Thanks Wrager, I'll continue this over in the DIY section.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page