post #61 of 68 Old 03-27-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzuky View Post

Interesting I believe I have been told or read somewhere that it is not good to play speakers loud in the first 30-40 hours at least
That's typical myth morphing of the truth of the matter, which is that some drivers, woofers in particular, may take up to 40 hours use before the suspension fully softens and it works as well as it's able to.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 03-28-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22

I guess this is the case... I do believe in starting easy just to be safe and I know it does not make sence since all speakers are factory tested close to their limits but anyways thank you all for the input and info and articles!

post #63 of 68 Old 03-28-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

all speakers are factory tested close to their limits
If only. Most are simply function tested to be sure they work.

post #64 of 68 Old 03-28-2014, 02:06 PM

well since they are tested even tho simple if they work.. that means if you open the box at home hook the speaker to amp and turn the volume high for their first song.... they are not going to break or sound worse after that.. the guy who installed the Kicker subwoofer (Kicker Comp 10 150W on a Kenwood 200W amp) blasted it to the fullest when he was adjusting the settings for more than a few seconds more like 3-5 minutes and the speaker is in quite good shape today.. that was 3 years ago... so I mean if a speaker is working at the start there is nothing much you can do to brake it right out the box.. exept huge overpowering... this is just stupid but everything else is just normal

post #65 of 68 Old 03-29-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so I mean if a speaker is working at the start there is nothing much you can do to brake it right out the box.. exept huge overpowering...
I break in my woofers overnight, using a 20-25Hz sine wave at 8 to 12 volts, ie., about 10 watts. The low frequency used fully flexes the suspension with a small signal level, and since I do so before mounting the woofer the process is inaudible. All manufacturers should do so, not only to break the woofer in, but also to weed out any defective units. Few do, because this takes time, and labor, and both of those factors add to cost.
Tzuky likes this.

post #66 of 68 Old 03-29-2014, 09:35 AM

Liked: 10
The manual for my energy RC-70 says 100 hours to let thing "loosen" up to prevent internal damage at high volume. I put the TV to a jazz channel and walked away when I was not watching TV with them on. 4 and a half days of them on.
post #67 of 68 Old 03-29-2014, 09:56 AM

Interesting... I do not play my Diamons at high volume a lot... actualy I just tested `em yesterday but they already had more that 50 hours... so I guess I`m good lol.. tha manual says nothing about break in

post #68 of 68 Old 03-29-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

I break in my woofers overnight, using a 20-25Hz sine wave at 8 to 12 volts, ie., about 10 watts. The low frequency used fully flexes the suspension with a small signal level, and since I do so before mounting the woofer the process is inaudible. All manufacturers should do so, not only to break the woofer in, but also to weed out any defective units. Few do, because this takes time, and labor, and both of those factors add to cost.

What you do is a great method I guess... and you are right all this is too expensive for the mass produced speakers

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page