Accomodation Program: Help piece together a complete sound system! - AVS Forum
Speakers > Accomodation Program: Help piece together a complete sound system!
garetjax's Avatar garetjax 09:44 AM 01-18-2013
I have the opportunity to take advantage of an accomodation program where I work. I'd like to get quality components with the accomodations that are offered to me. I've never had the opportunity to afford a nice complete system before until now, and I'm hoping I can get your help picking things out! smile.gif

I can select accomodations from Polk, Klipsch, Energy and Yamaha where speakers are concerned:

FLOORSTANDING

Klipsch speakers:
KF-28
KF-26

Energy speakers:
CF 70
CF 50
CF 30

Polk speakers:
RTi A9
RTi A7
RTi A5
TSi 500
TSi 400
TSi 300
VM20

SUBWOOFERS

Klipsch subwoofers:
SW 450
SW 350

Energy subwoofers:
ESW-C10
ESW-C8

Polk subwoofers:
PSWi225
PSW125
PSW111
PSW110
PSW10

SOUNDBARS

Energy soundbars:
Power Bar
Power Bar Elite

Polk soundbars:
6000 IHT SYS
4000 IHT SYS
3000 IHT SYS

Yamaha soundbars:
YAS-101

CENTER CHANNEL

Klipsch center channel:
KC-25

Energy center channel:
CC-10
CC-5

Polk center channel:
CS20
CS10
CSi A6
CSi A6
TL1

REAR/SURROUNDS

Klipsch rear/surrounds:
KB-15
KS-14

Energy rear/surrounds:
CB20
CB10
CB5
CR10

Polk rear/surrounds:
RTi A3
RTi A1
TSi 100
TSi 200
FXi A4
FXi A6
OWM5
OWM3
TL1 Satellite

Shady195's Avatar Shady195 09:54 AM 01-18-2013
I can only comment on the KF-28's, the KC-25 center speakers as a friend of mine uses this setup. I will say they do sound great, the speakers put out a lot of bass so if you wanted to hold off on a sub for a little bit you could get away with it. They are also great if you love to listen to your music obnoxiously loud, I am not one of those people, but my friend is and cranked all the way up they don't sweat a bit, they take it like a champ.

I do not personally like Klipsch sound compared to speakers with silk/dome tweeters, the horn is just not for me, but they do sound very good overall. I think you would be quite happy with them.

Sorry I can't help more with a comparison between other brands you have listed.. but its something cool.gif
garetjax's Avatar garetjax 11:18 AM 01-18-2013
Thanks for the info, Shady!

Question for everyone: Is it better to piece together a speaker system made by the same manufacturer or is it okay to mix and match? For example, using floorspeakers made by Polk and a subwoofer by Yamaha?
GaryWA's Avatar GaryWA 11:23 AM 01-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjax View Post

Thanks for the info, Shady!

Question for everyone: Is it better to piece together a speaker system made by the same manufacturer or is it okay to mix and match? For example, using floorspeakers made by Polk and a subwoofer by Yamaha?

The only pieces that really need to match are the floors and the center. Those are the most important. Other than that, go with anything you like.

Any of the Polk Rti series are going to be nice. Match it up with the Rti center and you'll be happy. Make sure to get a good receiver though.
Shady195's Avatar Shady195 11:24 AM 01-18-2013
Idealy you want your front speakers to match..

The Front left and right, as well as the center channel should be as timbre matched as possible.. After having speakers that were not timbre matched vs speakers now that are, the difference is pretty astonishing.

You can be a little more lax with the rear surrounds, while you will hear differences, its hardly as off putting as if you mis matched a center channel with the left and right speakers.. As far as the subwoofer goes.. pretty much any subwoofer will work, whatever is in your budget and think will do what you want it to do.
garetjax's Avatar garetjax 12:27 PM 01-18-2013
Thanks guys!

GaryWA, the receiver that I was looking at going with is a Yamaha RX-A820BL.

So, if I go with two floorstanding speakers, I should go with a center channel and not a soundbar, correct? Can anyone explain why one way or the other?

Also, would I gain anything by going with four floorstanding speakers, such as the Polk RTi's for front left and right, and rear left and right surround sound? Is this even recommended or should I stick with smaller rear speakers?
Shady195's Avatar Shady195 12:33 PM 01-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjax View Post

Thanks guys!

GaryWA, the receiver that I was looking at going with is a Yamaha RX-A820BL.

So, if I go with two floorstanding speakers, I should go with a center channel and not a soundbar, correct? Can anyone explain why one way or the other?

Also, would I gain anything by going with four floorstanding speakers, such as the Polk RTi's for front left and right, and rear left and right surround sound? Is this even recommended or should I stick with smaller rear speakers?

No do not go with a soundbar, go with the center speaker that is recommended or matched for the left or right speakers..

As far as using matching towers for surrounds, if you have the space, and the money to do it, by all means go for it.. a completely matched system is pretty sweet, but it really is not needed as the rear surround channels are not nearly as important as the front sound stage.. I would however get smaller bookshelf speakers from the same series if possible as they will have the same sound footprint if you will
garetjax's Avatar garetjax 01:02 PM 01-22-2013
Anyone else care to chime in as to which speakers I put together for terrific 7.1 or 5.1 music and movie sound?

The receiver that will be used is a Yamaha RX-A820BL.
Up
Mobile  Desktop