Help & suggestions needed for pairing front speakers with AVR in large room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm needing some help in deciding how to approach setup for large rectangular family/entertainment room ( 18' x 27' ). I know I can't afford what is needed to fill it up with sound, so I/m just trying to do the best I can. The 50" TV and Bluray player are against one of the short end walls and I'm sitting about 12 feet away. I'm only interested in bookshelf speakers, no room for stands either. They must sit on top of the media cabinet. Will a rear ported speaker work sitting on top of cabinet 8" to 10" from wall? A sub-woofer is in the plans down the road 8 to 10 months. Usage is about 60% TV/40% music (classic rock).I have a budget of about $700-$900 for avr and either 2.0 or 3.0.

AVR: I have no idea how to pick one that would be efficient with speaker choice. I probably will never want 7.1, 5.1 would be the most I'd ever go. I do have an adjacent outside patio and would be nice to add some outside speakers later on and run off the avr.

Speakers: Way too many to choose from, but these are some I have an interest in. Wharfedale 10.1 or 10.2 ; KEF Q100 or Q300 ; Mordaunt Short Aviano 1 or 2. Other suggestions are welcome. Not sure if I should spend my budget on the 2.0 and add center later. Or if a combo of L/C/R would work just as well in that budget?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 336
This is what I would do- $200 for a pair of speakers, $200-$300 for an AVR (refurbed would get you the most bang) and $4-$500 for a sub.

You're not going to be able to get a "enough" bookshelf speaker in that budget to be satisfied with music (especially) and movies.

There are a number of nice sounding speakers in that $200 range. My personal favorite (since I own 5) are the NHT SuperZero II at $100 each. They do require a sub though.

I'll let others recommend their favorites as I have not heard many others.

My opinion of course.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #3 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 252
The KEF and Wharfedale speakers would be good choices, but I would suggest the larger ones; the 10.2 or Q300, or possibly the Monitor Audio BX-2 (which is front-ported).

You can get the Onkyo TX-NR515 for $300 from various vendors, and that would be my first choice.

I will tell any friend that asks that I personally do not like the sound of the current generation of Yamaha and Pioneer receivers.

I always suggest that Onkyo or Denon be the place to look for lower-priced receivers (under $600).
post #4 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The KEF and Wharfedale speakers would be good choices, but I would suggest the larger ones; the 10.2 or Q300, or possibly the Monitor Audio BX-2 (which is front-ported).

You can get the Onkyo TX-NR515 for $300 from various vendors, and that would be my first choice.

I will tell any friend that asks that I personally do not like the sound of the current generation of Yamaha and Pioneer receivers.

I always suggest that Onkyo or Denon be the place to look for lower-priced receivers (under $600).

That was the way I was leaning. However , I was reading about the new ' 100 line' from Wharfedale. The Diamond 121 and 122. Not sure of the cost difference yet or where to get them. Thanks for the avr suggestion, I'll look into its specs.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

This is what I would do- $200 for a pair of speakers, $200-$300 for an AVR (refurbed would get you the most bang) and $4-$500 for a sub.

You're not going to be able to get a "enough" bookshelf speaker in that budget to be satisfied with music (especially) and movies.

There are a number of nice sounding speakers in that $200 range. My personal favorite (since I own 5) are the NHT SuperZero II at $100 each. They do require a sub though.

I'll let others recommend their favorites as I have not heard many others.

My opinion of course.

I know, but I'm going to try and get by without a sub for awhile. I would rather spend a little more money upfront for the front speakers and then get a sub later.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 1269
fwiw, take a look at the ascend acoustic cmt 340se's for the front lr $608 or a pair of cbm 170se's for lr and a cmt 340 center $626 then save up for a pair of cmt340se's for the lr and put the cbm 170 's for the surrounds. just a suggestion
and as for an avr i would checkout accessories4less and save yourself some cash on a factory refurb. from an authorized dealer maybe a denon avr 1612 for $200 or if you need more bells and whistles the avr1712 $309 (has 2 zone and better audyssey)avr 1912 $349

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #7 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw, take a look at the ascend acoustic cmt 340se's for the front lr $608 or a pair of cbm 170se's for lr and a cmt 340 center $626 then save up for a pair of cmt340se's for the lr and put the cbm 170 's for the surrounds. just a suggestion
and as for an avr i would checkout accessories4less and save yourself some cash on a factory refurb. from an authorized dealer maybe a denon avr 1612 for $200 or if you need more bells and whistles the avr1712 $309 (has 2 zone and better audyssey)avr 1912 $349

Thanks, I'll look into those speakers. I have not heard of them. I've never really bought any refurb equipment before. Not sure I know enough to trust it. If that makes any sense. I'll look into the Denon's also. One of the main reasons for the post is I don't really know what ' bells and whistles ' I need. I assume the 2 zones you referred to would be needed if I wanted a seperate set of speakers on the outside patio? And, I just wasn't sure how much power I needed for the speakers.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Has anyone heard of , or knows, if the Wharfedale 'Diamond 100' line is available in the USA? Mainly the Diamond 121 or 122.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page