Newbie needs help setting up 5.1 system. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-18-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Last Month I bought the ONKYO HT-S3500 5.1-Channel Home Theater System from newegg thinking it would be a decent first setup for my HTPC. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120200

I had a old logitech 5.1 setup hooked to the computer so I was exited to finally get a dedicated system. Well I immediately realized the sub on the ONKYO is weak. My brother gave me a Klipsh RW10 sub last week to use, but after realizing the only way to hook it to the receiver was with speaker wire I decided I want a new system. I started searching for something a step up. I was thinking about the Energy Take 5 Pack 5CH Home Theater Speaker System from newegg. Put the Klipsh with it then try to find a decent receiver for around $300.

Today My brother tells me that since he isn't using his system I can borrow it for now since he was going to have to store it somewhere anyway. Here is what he gave me, Receiver is Yamaha RX-V557 which doesn't have HDMI but the only thing I am hooking to it is HTPC which I can use Optical. Two Klipsh RF15 towers and a Klipsh RC25 center. He also included Two old Technics SB-S407 3-way speakers. Problem is I can only use small speakers for fronts do to the fact they need to set on the desk next to the TV. This is my bedroom so I have a 42" on my desk as a monitor/TV. The Center will have to go on the floor under my desk. I have the receiver under the desk too on a crate.

Big question is... With everything I have, how would you piece it together? Keeping in mind that the leftover parts will go to my son. I can use the towers for rears for now but really I need to get smaller speakers in the future. I still plan on buying speakers & new receiver in a month or so when the funds are available. I'm just not sure best option for now. Is it worth trying to deal with the bigger speakers, or wait and just store them for my brother?

After I figure out what to use I am going to need help optimizing it. I know nothing about the different controls on the Sub or how to really optimize the receiver either. I have the Disney WOW BRD, but not sure if that will help on the Yamaha receiver cause I can't hook a blu-ray player to it. Other then the WOW BRD I don't have a use for the blu-ray player. All media is played thru the computer which does not have a blu-ray player. I also ordered a Radio Shack analog SPL meter off Ebay but I'm not sure if I will know how to use it when it gets here.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh!! The bedroom is actually in the basement. it,s about 20' long and 12' wide. I have the bed set up on back wall with chess, nightstand etc. then in the front part of room is a mini living area with recliner, couch, coffee table. on the front wall is the desk with 42" LCD and Tower PC/HTPC. There is steps to the right of desk and a bathroom door to the left. No room for tower speaker at all. I can put towers next to bed for rear for now, but later I would still want to go with smaller speakers so everything doesn't look so cramp. If the towers are a huge improvment over the Onky speakers that came with the box set then I will use them for now. I am sure they are a huge improvement just not sure if they will go nicely with the Onkyo's as Right/Left fronts.

Denon X4000 - Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts - Klipsch KLF-C7 Center - Klipsch KLF-C7 X 2 Surrounds - Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs - BenQ W1070 projector - 106" Antra fixed Screen - 3D powered by AMD home built computer
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page