On-wall speakers, constrained space - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I'm in the early stages of a speaker upgrade, and would appreciate some help in focusing the search. I have a built-in setup, with little flexibility about where things can be set up. I'm enclosing a picture (I hope). I will need a sub/sat setup which can be mounted (and sound excellent) on or very near the wall in a 45 degree corner. I currently have 5.1 channels of 2000 vintage Acoustic Research. They were 'pretty good for the price' when purchased, but as a former sound engineer they seem to be getting more painful to listen to as time goes on.

I for sure need to replace the sub, which distorts horribly, but need one that fits in a roughly 10x10" footprint, preferably with equalization since the room is complex.

I have been looking most closely at satellite setups from Gallo, B&W, and Focal. I'm really going for 'aspirational' sound here, something I can enjoy thoroughly for the long term even though I haven't room for a big statement pair of speakers. Budget is probably between 2500 and 7k for the 5.1. I value a spacious and precise soundstage, correct rendering of voices, piano, and orchestra, and satisfying low end. I will, of course, also be using the setup for movies.

They'll be driven by an Integra 50.2 receiver. I generally listen to CDs ripped lossless to a DLNA media server, or more recently HDTracks high resolution downloads. Had my fill of fussy vinyl years ago (sorry vinyl lovers, just don't have the time or room).

What I'd appreciate from the assembled multitudes here are some listening comments on the systems I'm considering, particularly from people who have had similar setups. Some sats are fine on or near the wall, others are adversely affected by that placement. I'd love to hear about sonic strengths and weaknesses of sub/sat combinations you've heard or purchased. Finally if there are other sub/sat combos of similar sonic quality to the ones above that would fit, I'd like to know about them. Home theater.jpg 280k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Home theater.jpg (279.9 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Your goals for your setup, and your size restraints are completely conflicting.... Mostly on the sub. A 10" cube isnt going to qualify as a sub, sorry. You need to find a location that can fit something at least slightly larger. This is about the smallest you should consider

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb12-nsd#.UPntKGc1X-U

For the LCR I would check out something like these AT 3200's

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/default.asp?NodeId=56

I'll add that low frequency efficiency is directly related to cabinet size. Looking at super small speakers/subs isn't going to get you what you desire. The products listed above are close to as small as you can get away with without sacrificing to much quality.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
+1 on SVS SB12-NSD sub, it's excellent. HSU also makes a nice wireless sub if putting the sub in a different place in the room allows you to go with a bigger size. If you're going with satellites you will need a good, articulate sub that plays well with higher crossovers.

You've listed some nice satellites - FWIW a big downside to satellites is their sound-for-the-dollar ratio.

Have you looked at these speakers? They are designed to be wall mountable, and, much cheaper and sound as good as (or better than) the satellites you mention.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/htm200/htm200.html

Another satellite system you might consider is this KEF. Though I would recommend selling/replacing the sub.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/KEFKHT3005BLKSEK2/KEF-Kht3005se-5.1-Speaker-Package-with-Kube2-subwoofer-Black/1.html