Has anyone started buying [more] music once you've bought nice speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have definitely bought more, in CD format no less. Haven't bought a CD in close to 6 years now, but picked up 6 CDs at my HMV store. I definitely plan on getting more in the coming weeks and months ahead.

I find I like the look of them on my shelf. I used to buy songs from iTunes, but that feeling of ownership really didn't exist, or rather it didn't feel much different than getting them "for free" somewhere online.

I find even the act of transferring money to be more intimate, since I'm doing it in person, so something of value is more perceived.

Hence why I will likely never buy a movie from iTunes in SD or HD format, unless if it was for $2 to own or something like that with no DRM (which likely will not happen).

I have discovered great music via getting them "for free", but this has led me to buy nice speakers that weren't PC speakers for $100 or less.

I decided the best way to enjoy music is via getting the best format (CDs) and getting good/great speakers to really make the experience that much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 59
...frown.gif added over the last 24 months 4,500 albums or so. This music stuff is killing me.... but it sounds so good.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #3 of 20 Old 01-18-2013, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

I find I like the look of them on my shelf. I used to buy songs from iTunes, but that feeling of ownership really didn't exist, or rather it didn't feel much different than getting them "for free" somewhere online..

CD is still my preferred format of buying music in 2013. I only purchase MP3s online when I can't find the physical product, which unfortunately has been the case twice. I really think I'm the only 20--year-old who doesn't like buying digital music files online! However when the major online music retailers like iTunes and Amazon, for example, start including lossless downloads as an option, I'd be much more willing to move on from physical media. wink.gif

I recall my music-buying habits remaining the same. Oddly, I haven't gone to as many concerts anymore once I got a good stereo system. Unless the recording is absolutely terrible-sounding and brickwalled (I.E. the loudness wars) I find that most music sounds really good on my speakers.
plasma_fan likes this.
post #4 of 20 Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
In case this turns into a lossless file snobbery thread:

I do buy CDs or lossless files, but the difference between them and high bit rate mp3s is marginal. Most of those people who claim that they can hear a great difference probably haven't done any ABX testing.

For instance, many people here I'm sure would also pooh-pooh on 128k vs 320k mp3 files. Try this test and I think many might change their minds. I can hear a slight difference, but it is not as dramatic as I used to claim it would be without the experience of ABX testing:

http://mp3ornot.com/index.php

The difference between 320k and lossless is definitely not more.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 20 Old 01-19-2013, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

...frown.gif added over the last 24 months 4,500 albums or so. This music stuff is killing me.... but it sounds so good.

Holy geez, is that 4500 songs or albums? If it's the latter that is a scary number and I don't dare ask you how much you've spent! eek.gifeek.gif

And ThumbtackJack, keep buying CDs. I don't know about you, but I feel it is more impressive to physically "see" all of your music collection, as opposed to having everything in your music player on your computer (e.g. Winamp or iTunes).

I also feel the same way for movies, books, games, etc. Having a physical collection of these things look very cool IMO and why I will continue my new habit of buying CDs.

Guys, I do feel however, the market for CDs is shrinking (albeit slower than before). The HMV at one of the malls here, is relocating to a smaller location inside the same mall, even though I always see a ton of people in here.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-19-2013, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I prefer to buy CD music but I tend to buy less of it now since my last local record store has closed recently. I have been guilty over the past year or so of buying quite a few albums on itunes... Newer iTunes tracks are 256kbps, and to be honest I don't think they sound too bad. I just like the convenience of buying album right on my phone and streaming it to my speakers right after. I do feel like itunes overcharges for a lot of stuff considering they aren't CD-quality downloads, though. I just bought an album on HDTracks, and since they started offering ALAC, I might start buying more music there.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
post #7 of 20 Old 01-19-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 494
I still enjoy browsing for and buying CDs. However, I have most of them burned to my music library. I also buy digital music. I've always enjoyed listening to music but it's worlds better with higher quality speakers. wink.gif

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #8 of 20 Old 01-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Holy geez, is that 4500 songs or albums? If it's the latter that is a scary number and I don't dare ask you how much you've spent! eek.gifeek.gif

And ThumbtackJack, keep buying CDs. I don't know about you, but I feel it is more impressive to physically "see" all of your music collection, as opposed to having everything in your music player on your computer (e.g. Winamp or iTunes).

I also feel the same way for movies, books, games, etc. Having a physical collection of these things look very cool IMO and why I will continue my new habit of buying CDs.

Guys, I do feel however, the market for CDs is shrinking (albeit slower than before). The HMV at one of the malls here, is relocating to a smaller location inside the same mall, even though I always see a ton of people in here.

6041 albums or I think close to 65,000 songs. Get the CD and rip it to my file server. All on line and on demand. 1629 gigs.

post #9 of 20 Old 01-19-2013, 06:23 PM

Liked: 801
We use to shop Streetlight Records in San Jose. Tons of categories, new and used. Then moved hours away a couple years back. So sad. frown.gif Haven't been buying anything since.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

There's also Rasputin's and Amoeba Records in Cali. I have relatives there and like to visit these shops for used albums. It's not like going to the great "mom and pop" shops of old but better than going to a big box store I suppose.

post #11 of 20 Old 01-19-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

6041 albums or I think close to 65,000 songs. Get the CD and rip it to my file server. All on line and on demand. 1629 gigs.

Holy crap!! That is insanely large (no offense). How do you find the time to listen to all of them? Do you just buy the albums based on hearsay and recommendations along with your own personal favorites?
ThumbtackJack likes this.
post #12 of 20 Old 01-20-2013, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

There's also Rasputin's and Amoeba Records in Cali. I have relatives there and like to visit these shops for used albums. It's not like going to the great "mom and pop" shops of old but better than going to a big box store I suppose.

Streetlight records in San Jose is more like going to a Goth version of a Mom-n-Pop's store.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Holy crap!! That is insanely large (no offense). How do you find the time to listen to all of them? Do you just buy the albums based on hearsay and recommendations along with your own personal favorites?

I am looking to retire out of the country in a couple of years and am building a library of all artists I used to listen to. If people recommend something I check it out in itunes. If I like what I hear, I get the entire artists library, I never had the time to really get a great audio/video system. Now I am taking the time to do that.
When I do take the time to sit and listen, usually a few hours passes and really enjoy the music. I'm guessing maybe another 1500 alboms and will be about where I want to be.
The trick is to rip lossless, so much easier than swapping CD's.

post #14 of 20 Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:

The trick is to rip lossless, so much easier than swapping CD's.

Lossless is the only way. biggrin.gif

Retirement? For me, every night is a Friday night and every morning is a Saturday morning. Watch your waist, watch your finances and keep on trucking. cool.gif
post #15 of 20 Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Streetlight records in San Jose is more like going to a Goth version of a Mom-n-Pop's store.

Sounds like my kind of place. Wax Trax in Denver use to have that kind of feel.

post #16 of 20 Old 01-20-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

Sounds like my kind of place. Wax Trax in Denver use to have that kind of feel.

Great people. Great selection. Having moved and lost what I had, I definitely miss their services. frown.gif
post #17 of 20 Old 01-20-2013, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Glad I'm not the only one who buys CDs. What I do is listen to albums "for free" by downloading them online somewhere, and try it out. This method works well, if one decides to go the legal route and not be an ass and keep the files without paying anything.

I used to be like "oh, I like it" and keep it on my hard drive, without even thinking of buying it. Well, I DID buy songs here and there on iTunes, but as I've noted before... it doesn't feel like I own it, and the feeling of acquiring something legally or via torrents was indiscernible for myself.

CDs is what I will buy now, and will continue to buy, unless it's only a song available via iTunes.

I've actually came across this article last night about how "Mastered for iTunes" AAC files sound different from the CD version. Here's the link which has interviews with today's leading producers and mixers on the subject:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/04/does-mastered-for-itunes-matter-to-music-ars-puts-it-to-the-test/
post #18 of 20 Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
After I got my new gear I became interested in music again and over the last couple of years I have been buying CDs.
I like owning the physical media but the library is ripped to a hard drive in .wav and high bit rate MP3.

Regards,
Charlie

post #19 of 20 Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 AM

Liked: 13
Oh yes. Coming from a Sony HTITB to a set of Energy Take Classic to V-5.2-C i have bought hundreds of records in the last two years. If you by new speakers you want to enjoy them to the max, so you but new music, movies, whateever gets your mojo going.
post #20 of 20 Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szeppelin75 View Post

Oh yes. Coming from a Sony HTITB to a set of Energy Take Classic to V-5.2-C i have bought hundreds of records in the last two years. If you by new speakers you want to enjoy them to the max, so you but new music, movies, whateever gets your mojo going.

I suspect this may be a phase for me now, and I kinda do since I'll drain my bank account, LOL.

It's fun, and slightly addicting to buy CDs and movies. So far no buyer's remorse/guilt. If I do, I'll refund it, which I have done once.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page