Speaker placement 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wasn't quite sure where to place this. I am looking for some help and suggestions on how to setup a 5.1 surround sound in my akward shaped bonus room. I am fully aware in-wall speakers are not the speaker of choice but thats what i have to work with at this point. My bonus room has a dormer on the left hand side and opens up to the staircase on the right hand side. The tv will be lowered about six inches and moved over(centered on the wall) so I can do in-walls for LCR speakers. I'm having a problem on what to do with surround speakers for the rear.

Option 1: I could do one in-wall speaker on the left wall at 90 degrees but there is no place to put the other In-wall surround at 90 degrees on the right side unless i put it across the room. (Would aud. multi-eq correct this type of setup)?

Option 2: Do I attempt to use in ceiling speakers with a pivoting tweeter? I could do 1 in ceiling speaker on the angled wall on the left and then do the other on the ceiling on the right side of the couch.

Option 3: I could just do in-walls on the rear walls placed up high and angle the tweeters in and hope for the best?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 PM

Liked: 12
Put them both in the rear wall about midway and then hang a picture or shelf between them or something for looks.

are you doing in wall for the front too? Cuz the only way I see that happening is with the right speaker going in that door lol
post #3 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 10:52 AM

Liked: 801
The simplest would be to put two in wall speakers at ear level pointing to the sofa. And then balance the output with a sound meter so equal output reaches the ear of the person sitting on the left facing position on the sofa.

The hallway doors will need to be closed.

If you're able, it would help if you went with a 7.1 system and had bi-poles above the sofa and opposing speakers at ear level.

Hope the above helps.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
You can always mount something like this directly below the tv

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/owmicrolcr3.html#tab1

Then use these for in wall surrounds

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/iwm4sat.html
post #5 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Those woulf work perfectly but unfortunately wayyyyy over my budget smile.gif
post #6 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I must have missed where you stated your budget?
post #7 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well starting off looked at htd and monoprice and lately just listened to deaf tech, klipsch and speakercraft. As of now mainly concerned with speaker placement on the rear walls which may influence my decision on which I go with.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
post #8 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

The simplest would be to put two in wall speakers at ear level pointing to the sofa. And then balance the output with a sound meter so equal output reaches the ear of the person sitting on the left facing position on the sofa.
Don't forget setting the Distances. You want the sound from each speaker to arrive at the same *time* as well as at the same level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

If you're able, it would help if you went with a 7.1 system and had bi-poles above the sofa and opposing speakers at ear level.
I would not do this. With the seating directly against the back wall, rear speakers would either be way too close if mounted low, or they would fire overhead if mounted up high. The former would be very distracting; the latter a waste of money and effort. Only consider rear speakers if the seating can be moved forward to allow some distance between the speakers and the listener.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #9 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks you for everyones replies so far. I do have a ? Just for my personal knowledge. Why wouldn't it be sufficient to in ceiling speakers(one on the 45 degree angle wall and one on the ceiling on the right of the couch) with pivoting tweeters if audyssey would correct the timing? I guess since its not the perfect room its going to be compromises anyway I choose?

Thanks!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page