Boombox damage? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-19-2013, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone. I recently joined this community to learn more about speakers and audio. I have a big question however and if someone with speaker knowledge could answer my question it would be greatly appreciated. I recently bought an altec lansing imt810 and it is really a great boombox. Maybe not audiophile quality, but I was looking more towards volume than quality although it really does have a nice sound (at least to me) and can pump volume extremely high. I have been using it pretty often at high volumes and although I don't put bass boost on many of my songs have heavy bass. Recently while I was playing a song, a subwoofer (there are two, I don't know if it was one or both.) started playing a weird noise that definitely is not part of the song. I can not really explain it very well as I immediately turned the boombox off to prevent further damage and so did not hear what happened clearly. From what I briefly heard, I think what happened was that the subwoofer played a higher note than the original song and to just summarize it sounded very wrong. I'm not sure if this is distortion, and I would like to know if my speakers are permanently damaged or if this is just natural at high volumes. I don't think I had this problem before when I was playing the exact same song. Additional info: there are 2 horn loaded tweeters, two main drivers, and one subwoofer and the other is passive radiator. Another question I would like to know is when do you know when you are playing something too high resulting in speaker damage? I don't know anything about audio other than the basics so if anyone could answer this I would be extremely grateful. Thank you for your patience.

P.S. if this is the wrong kind of forum to ask such questions, I would like to apologize as the first forum that came up for audio was this one. If there is a better forum for my problem please link me. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-19-2013, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

bump
post #3 of 4 Old 01-20-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Well...we don't get a lot of questions about boom-boxes here; nor, is anyone really likely to be able to answer questions about them (and I don't really think there's a boom-box section here; you know...to advise you to post in that area).

Sounds like what you're describing, is some kind of pretty generic clipping; the distortion that's produced, when you're pushing your amplifier too hard. Either that, or the woofers are "bottoming-out". Either way...it just sounds like you're pushing the unit too hard (or too long...the clipping can result when the amp overheats). Let me ask you this (rhetorically): does this usually happen when you're on battery power? If so, that could be your issue; as the batteries drain, I would think your amp could have trouble getting the juice it needs...and would clip.

But I'm guessing, and really don't have the knowledge to follow-up. When you hear these sounds...do you turn the thing down? Does that help? If it does, you have your answer. Like the old joke: it hurts when I do this...don't do that. Good luck.
licantroleon likes this.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #4 of 4 Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

thnx so much for the answer. It really helped and yes I was using it on battery power. Thnx very much!
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page