Opinions and Options for Infinity Primus Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-19-2013, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been looking at options for mostly Home Theater in a 12x11 family room with 60% TV for 2. Right now I am using PolkAudio TL250 in 5.0 the interim with an old PolkAudio 10 sub and plan to gift them later.

There are sales on Infinity Primus P363 $200 ea and the PC351 for $200, so $600 and free shipping. The wife hates speaker stands so floorstanding speakers are it. I know nothing about these but it seems like a good price point for budget HT. The center is a little big but I can do it if it's worth it and it is sealed which is a bonus because it's going in a mostly closed LCD TV stand. I currently have a Denon 1713 in this room and I am leaning towards an SVS PL-1000 sub. (Maybe a BIC Acoustech PL-200 or a Klipsh RW-12D) The rear speakers may have to be in-ceiling.

The wall these will go on is only really 9.5' across to a 40 degree bay window wall so the other 2' width is smallish overall.

I have heard Klipsh and for some reason did not like them. I also listened to Can. made Sinclair 250Ts with the 25CC center. They sound very good but might be closer to the Primus 253 and PC 251 center which I would also consider for less.

Opinions on these or other options like Polk Audio would be appreciated. I am not planning on spending any more than $800 for these 3 pieces.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-20-2013, 12:49 AM

Liked: 20
I saw some Martin Logan Motion 10s ($199 each) and Motion 12s ($269) on Amazon recently. The 12s are more in parity, (on paper) with the P363. Tough to say. The Infinity's are probably great speakers (I've had harman kardons, different but same family and they were pretty good).

Problem is, the Motion 6 Center (the only ML in the price range is $299). Has 3.5" drivers so, on paper, doesn't quite match up to the PC 351 on paper at all. And it goes over your $800 budget to get the two ML Motion 12s and the Motion 6.

And I doubt you'll find anywhere where you can audition both side by side.

That Infinity set is pretty sweet. Always been tempted to have a nice Martin Logan setup though…. smile.gif

And, that was probably no help at all. Good luck! smile.gif
post #3 of 10 Old 01-20-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that!

I guess the Infinity's are not popular?
post #4 of 10 Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGCanuck View Post

Thanks for that!

I guess the Infinity's are not popular?

I wouldn't say that. They're almost as good as the Beta series. Especially for the sale prices at Frys where the P363 is $234 a pair.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-20-2013, 06:47 PM

Liked: 20
I wouldn't say that either. I think Infinity are fine speakers. Same family as JBL and JBL are probably used in half the movie theaters in the U.S.

And I think Revel speakers are in the same 'family' as well. http://www.revelspeakers.com/

If I'm not mistaken, Infinity used to make very high end speakers and when they were bought by Harman a few years back they were able to focus more on 'consumer' (read, you and me) level stuff. Maybe some of that expertise transferred down.

I would have no problem getting Infinity speakers for the money. I currently have a HK AVR 247 and am in the process of upgrading out f my HK HKTS-15 thetater in a box. Nothing wrong with it for the money. It was just time to upgrade. And Infinity speakers have been on the table for me as an option. In the end I'm going Definitive Tech though.

IMHO, Most decent speakers in that price range are going to sound great. Just different with their own characteristics.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I did not realize Harman now owned them.
The center channel for me is important as these will be mostly home theater.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-21-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Yes. Harmon Hardon owns Infinity.
Yes. Infinity at one point made the best measuring speakers on the planet (the Inifinity RSI) and (to my knowledge) the most expensive at the time as well ($60k IIRC).
Yes. The Infinity P363 is an excellent speaker. I use Infinity P360's as surround in my bedroom HT. For the money (about $250 a pair) I've not heard better (though the web tells me I need to listen to Pioneer's recent offerings).
post #8 of 10 Old 04-12-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Yes. Harmon Hardon owns Infinity.
tee hee... He said, "Hardon"
post #9 of 10 Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 159
The Infinity P363 is an excellent choice. You may also want to check out the Pioneer F52. Dennis over at Philharmonic.com has a pair with upgraded tweeters (I think) and upgraded crossovers for $200 for the pair. Give him a call.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-13-2013, 11:57 AM

Does anyone know when exactly Harman Kardon acquired Infinity?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page