New perosn here. Wondering about speaker powers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-20-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking at a centre channel that the reccomended amplifier power was 50-300 watts. If i am going to buy it i would need a decent amp. The amp is mcintosh mc501 and is rated at 500w. Would it be possible to pair it with the speaker which is 300w reccomended (b&w HTM2 Diamond. If you where to play them a bit louder would the speakers be damaged if it gets to the point of distortion. Another quick question Do you believe that the centre channel is the most inportant speaker as it is where the vocals come out from.

Regards,Aaron wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
The specs I see on B&W's site recommend 50W-300W.

100W will give you 110db @1m. Unless you are listening *very* loud or are far away: you can get away with less than 300W. Consider something like : http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa3 if you are looking to save money.

Yes. You can damage a tweeter if an amp powering it is driven into hard clipping and if the tweeter is being pushed near its limits at the time (the energy in the harmonics in a clipped wave is higher than in a non-clipped wave). Yes, avoiding clipping is a good thing in general.

When watching a movie, and when a center channel is attached, the speaker you are most likely to notice weaknesses in (assuming all speakers are up to the same level) is likely the center channel (the subwoofer competing there), because so much dialog comes from there and because we are so familiar with what voices sound like.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-20-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Most speaker damage actually comes from using an amplifier that is too small.

An amplifier that is rated for 100 watts, for example, can actually put out far more power than that.

The amplifier is RATED for 100 watts with a small amount of distortion (usually 1% or less), but when badly overdriven , and clipping, it can easily deliver twice that much highly distorted power to the speaker.

The main thing to understand is that before you ever apply anything near 300 watts to that speaker, the loudness (and speaker distortion) would drive you out of the room.

The bottom line is; you will never get it that loud!

It won't happen.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
The main thing to understand is that before you ever apply anything near 300 watts to that speaker, the loudness (and speaker distortion) would drive you out of the room.

The bottom line is; you will never get it that loud!
It would be 115db on that speaker.

If your listening distance is 4m, it could be as low as 103db at the listening position.

Certainly loud, but people do get there. Indeed, it's below THX reference peak level.

So I gotta call BS on this claim.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page