Sub woofing with 901's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, Im a bit of a novice but decided about a year ago to hand down my Yamaha and Mirage to my son and go back a bit old school, picked up an Amber 70 (had it re-tapped by a great guy in Austin) and a DynaCo pre-amp. Have the Bose suspended ala 1970 Dorm style from ceiling per spec, Not getting bass response I would like, so would like to add my powered sub to thee mix but have read manual and it say cannot connect non-equilized speakers to set-up without an additional amp specific to the additional speaker, Question since the sub has its own amp could I run this? And if yes what would be the hook-up to the pre-amp (I was told the Amber had the power to serve the Bose but Im having my doubts at 70per) and the level compared to the volume setting is about 3 or 4 on volume and its blasting Any suggestioms I bought the 901's new in 2012 , (oh yes my preferred media source is vynil at this time)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Does your pre-amp have a sub out? If so, you are fine to run that to the sub.

Alternately: if your sub has L/R in and L/R out coax; then you can run from your pre-out to your sub in and from your sub out to your 901EQ in, and you'll be fine.

If not (if you are running L/R only), you'll need to y-cable off from the pre-outs before they get to the 901 EQ and into the sub. Note though that the 901s will still be running full range; you'll just have the sub in addition.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
If you add an external subwoofer, all you need is some way to send the audio signal to it..

It can be a line-level signal through an RCA/coaxial cable, or you can just run a pair of wires from one of your main speakers to the subwoofer.

In making the change to a high-quality preamp and amplifier, it seems as if you want some high-quality sound. I don't think you will ever get it from 901s.

My advice would be to consider getting some new speakers.

70 watts per channel will run almost any speakers; there are VERY few that need more.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks so much for the advice, yes my sub has the Input and output jacks, Ill try this set up, (there are high level in/outs and low level in/outs, use the low RCA type?, ) Yes I was afraid I had made a mistake with the 901's I paid full Bose price and probably could have done better in same price point Ive been told , but Im a bit locked in for the time, (almost got divorced buying those) As I said I have a pair of Mirage (they are about 5' tall built like obelisks,beautiful speakers would these added to the mix serve me at all or just confuse things worse? And If added would I use the "y" type installation you mentioned before, Thanks for the help guys!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I would connect only the Mirage speakers and the subwoofer and see if that doesn't sound a lot better. Leave the rest unconnected.

I suspect it will.

Maybe you can sell those Bose speakers and spend the money on something else.

You can run a cable to the line-level input of the sub, or run wires from the terminals of one speaker to the speaker-level sub input; either will work well.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

or you can just run a pair of wires from one of your main speakers to the subwoofer.

If he does that, then the sub will be getting the non-flat signal from the 901 EQ he has sitting between is pre-amp and amp. As a result, he will never be able to get proper performance from the sub.

Quote:
70 watts per channel will run almost any speakers; there are VERY few that need more.

88db sensitive speakers (there are lots) running the THX standard peaks (105db) for a listener 12' from the speaker in a reasonably dead (-6db/doubling) room.
That would take just under 1000W of power to do; assuming that there's no thermal compression from the speakers.

And even that's assuming it's an 8ohm load. A 4ohm load would be nearly 2000W.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAM102161 View Post

Thanks so much for the advice, yes my sub has the Input and output jacks, Ill try this set up, (there are high level in/outs and low level in/outs, use the low RCA type?, )

Yes. Use the low-level (RCA) jacks so that the order is Pre -> Sub -> EQ -> Amp

Remember that your sub will control the crossover point; so the position of that dial matters.
Quote:
Yes I was afraid I had made a mistake with the 901's I paid full Bose price and probably could have done better in same price point Ive been told , but Im a bit locked in for the time, (almost got divorced buying those)

If you auditioned many good speakers and those are what you liked; then those are what you liked. I can't say it's the route I would have gone; but I try to answer the questions asked rather than interject unrelated opinions. smile.gif

Quote:
As I said I have a pair of Mirage (they are about 5' tall built like obelisks,beautiful speakers would these added to the mix serve me at all or just confuse things worse? And If added would I use the "y" type installation you mentioned before, Thanks for the help guys!

I'm going to assume we are discussing a 2.1 system and not discussing using one pair as surrounds or the like.

I would advise against trying to run two different pairs of speakers for the same channels in the same room (two left-fronts, and two right-fronts). There are all sorts of cancellations and mis-matches you can run into. Worse: unless you have a separate amp to power them, you are changing significantly the amp load and could damage something.

The discussion changes if you have extra channels and we are discussing a separate room or surrounds.

Which model of Mirage do you have?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page