Keyhole Speaker Mounting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
mattsnowboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my Mordaunt Short Carnival 5.1 speakers (1, 3, 5, and 7) for my small apartment set-up.

I bought these crappy wall mounts for the 2 surround speakers
http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Satellite-Speaker-Brackets-Ceilings/dp/B002VFVQWS/ref=pd_sim_e_33

First of all, I don't see how they will hold up the 6.6lbs speakers.
Also, as the reviews on Amazon said, they were VERY difficult to setup with keyhole mounting (which my speakers have). The nut that is supposed to hold the speaker had a thick layer of Locktite or something and I had to really force it onto the bolt. Then after a lot of work I managed to get it to fit into the keyhole. But it felt pretty loose, even when I tried to make it tight.

Now, the speakers have the keyhole mount on the top of the back with little rubber bumpers on the bottom of the back. It seems to me that if I don't care about tilting the speakers, I should be able to get some sort of screw and nut/washer/something directly into the wall and just attach the speaker to that like I'm hanging a picture. That seems like it would be more secure than having some flimsy plastic arm like the mounts I bought.

Is it possible to mount the speakers flush to the wall like this? How do I know what size hardware I'd need to do this (to fit properly and hold the 6.6lbs speakers).


Also, I had a quick question on the speakers. Do I need to do the run-in that Mordaunt Short recommends (face the speakers together with one out of phase and play signal for 36 hours)? Or will I have the same effect by just using the speakers for a long time? Is there a difference or is it just a more efficient/faster run-in?
mattsnowboard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsnowboard View Post

I just got my Mordaunt Short Carnival 5.1 speakers (1, 3, 5, and 7) for my small apartment set-up.

I bought these crappy wall mounts for the 2 surround speakers
http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Satellite-Speaker-Brackets-Ceilings/dp/B002VFVQWS/ref=pd_sim_e_33

First of all, I don't see how they will hold up the 6.6lbs speakers.
Also, as the reviews on Amazon said, they were VERY difficult to setup with keyhole mounting (which my speakers have). The nut that is supposed to hold the speaker had a thick layer of Locktite or something and I had to really force it onto the bolt. Then after a lot of work I managed to get it to fit into the keyhole. But it felt pretty loose, even when I tried to make it tight.

Now, the speakers have the keyhole mount on the top of the back with little rubber bumpers on the bottom of the back. It seems to me that if I don't care about tilting the speakers, I should be able to get some sort of screw and nut/washer/something directly into the wall and just attach the speaker to that like I'm hanging a picture. That seems like it would be more secure than having some flimsy plastic arm like the mounts I bought.

Is it possible to mount the speakers flush to the wall like this? How do I know what size hardware I'd need to do this (to fit properly and hold the 6.6lbs speakers).


Also, I had a quick question on the speakers. Do I need to do the run-in that Mordaunt Short recommends (face the speakers together with one out of phase and play signal for 36 hours)? Or will I have the same effect by just using the speakers for a long time? Is there a difference or is it just a more efficient/faster run-in?

I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to mount all five of my speakers but heard some horror stories of those cheap surround brackets being too flimsy and cheap. I have screws and keyhole fittings on the back of my speakers including center channel. It's a Yamaha 5.1 setup (YHT-397) and each speaker only weighs about 2 lbs. What did you end up doing?
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
tezster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
If you can flush-mount your speakers, I would recommend going ahead and do so. You can simply bring one of the speakers along with you to the hardware store and test out different mounting screws to find one that fits the best. Installing them with drywall anchors makes them more than secure enough. Since they're held so close to the wall, the force being applied to the screw from the speaker is quite minimal.

If using a mount, don't use the one on the link. Those mounts pictured are similar to the cheaper Monoprice mounts - I don't recommend anyone use them, even for tiny satellite speakers. They barely hold my Energy Take 5 speakers up. Because it's made from cheap plastic, the set screws that tighten the swivel arm bites into the plastic. The more you adjust them, the more deformed the internal plastic elements become, making it increasingly weaker. My kitten tilted one of my mounted speakers downwards, and I could never get it to lock into place at its original position (it kept drooping back down). Buy a better mount if you decide against flush-mounting.
tezster is online now  
post #4 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

If you can flush-mount your speakers, I would recommend going ahead and do so. You can simply bring one of the speakers along with you to the hardware store and test out different mounting screws to find one that fits the best. Installing them with drywall anchors makes them more than secure enough. Since they're held so close to the wall, the force being applied to the screw from the speaker is quite minimal.

If using a mount, don't use the one on the link. Those mounts pictured are similar to the cheaper Monoprice mounts - I don't recommend anyone use them, even for tiny satellite speakers. They barely hold my Energy Take 5 speakers up. Because it's made from cheap plastic, the set screws that tighten the swivel arm bites into the plastic. The more you adjust them, the more deformed the internal plastic elements become, making it increasingly weaker. My kitten tilted one of my mounted speakers downwards, and I could never get it to lock into place at its original position (it kept drooping back down). Buy a better mount if you decide against flush-mounting.

I've actually just stumbled upon these mounts that look solid. http://pinpointmounts.com/am30.html All 5 of my speakers have two keyhole and two threaded inserts for mounts. This mount only has one threaded bolt though. Will this mount work with my speakers? I'm seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on them soon. I'm planning on using two for the surrounds to take full advantage of the swivel. For quality alone I'm probably going to use two more for the Left and Right Mains even though I won't really need the swivel and tilt.
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Newbie01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Wales, PA
Posts: 834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Those are nice...but not rated for very much weight...

Look at these...a little more visually unappealing though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X9O8SI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Newbie01 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Those are nice...but not rated for very much weight...

Look at these...a little more visually unappealing though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X9O8SI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I have... http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/home-theater-package/yht-397/?mode=model ...The center channel weighs 2.6 lbs and the mains and surrounds weigh 1.6 lbs each. I did some further checking and those pinpoint mounts are compatible with my system but the center channel isn't, which I'm just going to use two screws and use the keyholes on the back to mount.
Justin Sullins is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off