Klipsch RF7ii AVR Speaker Size Setting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

I know this question has been beaten to death over the past few decades however I was interested in seeing peoples experience specific to the RF7ii on this subject. I have scoured the forums to no avail of finding a similar thread; so if one already exists I really suck at searching and I sincerely apologize.

I finally made the plunge into an RF7ii speaker package after wanting them for years. In retrospect, it would have been more cost effective to purchase them outright at the inception of my home theater journey as I have already surpassed their cost through investment in lesser speaker systems that I have been dissatisfied with.

When the speakers arrive my HT system will be comprised as follows:

3x RF7ii
2x RS62ii
2x RB81ii
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7005 (I plan on upgrading to an Emotiva stack in the future)

I have never been one to really 'crank' my systems and usually listen at 15 to 20 dB below reference levels with my current KEF iQ90 (91dB sensitivity) set-up.

My questions are:

1) Should the LCR speakers be set to 'Large'?

2) Can the Marantz SR7005 even properly power them if they do get set to large? I know despite being rated at 8ohms they can dip down to around 3ohms.

3) This will probably be influenced by the acoustic response of my theater room, however, if the speakers are set to 'small' what would you set the crossover at?

I appreciate everyone's input as always.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I have 3 RF7IIs across the front also with a SV PB13. But I'm using a Denon A100 with a Emotiva XPA3 driving my RF7s. First let me say I use the Audyssey and set everything to small with a xover @ 80 for movies. But for music I set the RF7IIs to Large that's what Audyssey set them at and run a 5 channel stereo...to my ears during music everything just sounds better set this way. Movies I set everything to small and let the PB13 handle the LFE. I also have 2 RS62IIs for surrounds BTW nice setup cool.gif
Todeseng3l likes this.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #3 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I was going to go with the XPA3 as well (next time Emotiva has a sale), however I found a good deal on an Emotiva UPA-7 locally (125x7). Do you think I would be much better off with the UPA-7 than powering them with my current SR7005? They are both rated the same per channel, however I know with the Emotiva I can actually achieve 125W per channel and handle the increased power draw for when the RF7ii's impedance dips lower.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I'd probably use the UPA-700. My XPA-3 I shot Emotiva a email asking if they had any B stock XPA-3s. They did and I believe it was $100 off maybe give that a try.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #5 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeseng3l View Post

Hi all,

I know this question has been beaten to death over the past few decades however I was interested in seeing peoples experience specific to the RF7ii on this subject. I have scoured the forums to no avail of finding a similar thread; so if one already exists I really suck at searching and I sincerely apologize.

I finally made the plunge into an RF7ii speaker package after wanting them for years. In retrospect, it would have been more cost effective to purchase them outright at the inception of my home theater journey as I have already surpassed their cost through investment in lesser speaker systems that I have been dissatisfied with.

When the speakers arrive my HT system will be comprised as follows:

3x RF7ii
2x RS62ii
2x RB81ii
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7005 (I plan on upgrading to an Emotiva stack in the future)

I have never been one to really 'crank' my systems and usually listen at 15 to 20 dB below reference levels with my current KEF iQ90 (91dB sensitivity) set-up.

My questions are:

1) Should the LCR speakers be set to 'Large'?

2) Can the Marantz SR7005 even properly power them if they do get set to large? I know despite being rated at 8ohms they can dip down to around 3ohms.

3) This will probably be influenced by the acoustic response of my theater room, however, if the speakers are set to 'small' what would you set the crossover at?

I appreciate everyone's input as always.

Thanks!

1. If you use the large setting, then you are limiting the bass response on the main channels. Most all speakers should be set to small. This question would not come up as much if AVR manufacturers had used different wording. If the setting choices were full bandwidth (20 to 20k) or limited bandwidth, then people would know the answer. With many people it rubs them the wrong way, selecting small, when they use large powerful tower speakers. I would use the small setting, especially since you are using an AVR.

2. Yes and no. If used at low volumes, then yes. If you push the volume, then you might get some clipping.

3. Your room and your sub location has a lot of effect on this. I would start with 80hz, listen and then try a lower setting. Your SVS sub is a good sub, so i would expect 60hz to 80hz to be the best choice.

Audyssey does not select large or small. Audyssey just reports the measured values to the AVR. The AVR manufacturer chooses what is used to select small or large.
Todeseng3l likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-06-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Mike,

As I am playing around with my set-up I revisited your statements. I also added a Lexicon CX-7 amplifier to my set-up using the SR7005 as a pre/pro. Looking at these charts wouldn't it make sense to set the crossover for my LCR at 40Hz? The output of the PB-13Ultra and Klipsch RF-7 at this level are nearly identical.

post #7 of 8 Old 02-06-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Speakers set to large = no bass management
Speakers set to small = bass management

There are a lot of people that buy an avr because it has Audyssey, MCACC or some other room correction system. Why not use the bass mangement program such as MCACC or Audyssey that cost good money(included in the avr price). This will avoid phase issues, bass cancellation or reinforcement issues, standing wave problems and increase the avr's head room. Some people will think since the RF 7II are rated into the 30 Hz range set them to large. Even the 10 in woofers cannot reproduce as deep and clean a bass note as a good sub. Also the mid bass and midrange should be better with the speakers set to small. I have RF 7's and set my system to small and use a xo of 100 . MCACC set the xo based on the blend with the main and standing wave corrections. I have tried a xo of 80 but, no real difference. If a good sub is in the system, there really is not much rational for placing the xo below 60- 80 Hz in a HT setup even if it is also used for music.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #8 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. I was playing around with it last night comparing crossovers of 40 and 60 with music. I enjoyed the 60Hz crossover better. I will try 80Hz tonight.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Pair Cherry , Klipsch Rf7ii Reference Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker Black B Stock , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker Cherry B Stock

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page