Front Stage ~$1000 - Having decision paralysis - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to start in on my home theater, starting with the mains and center. I've been reading reviews and forum posts for a couple of weeks, and there are so many options out there, all seemingly with glowing reviews, that I've become completely lost. I'm hoping you guys can point me towards a few sets in the general direction of what I'm looking for that I can then try to get my ears on. Here's what I'm looking for:

3.0 front stage - stand mount monitors and a center speaker
For use in a small-medium sized room (indeterminate - I'll be moving a few times in the next few years)
Focus is on home theater performance, although I will listen to music through them a few times a week
~$1000 budget, although going a few hundred under budget is not an issue
Matching or at least similar bipole/dipole surrounds available
I'm not too picky about the sonic signature as I'll be running Audyssey on them
I am picky about the sound stage/presence - the bigger the better. Focused center imaging is also important to me
I don't ever get within even -10db from reference level

Any suggestions? I've looked at the NHT Classic 3, Focal Chorus 807v, Wharfedale Diamon 10.2, Mordaunt Short Carnival/Aviano lines, others... all seem to be loved by reviewers despite the rather varied price points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I second he nht classic 3 or focal chorus.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I would consider Klipsch Reference series towers and center channel.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #4 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. After sleeping on it then looking around a bit this morning, I've decided to limit myself based on what I can find used/on clearance to cut down on the number of choices. My plan is to buy a pair of Mordaunt Short Carnival 2 because that line is dirt cheap right now. If they're unsatisfactory, I'll buy the Focal center while it's still on clearance and look for a pair of used 807/806/706s. Klipsch are easy to come buy used, but my previous home theater was Klipsch (Chorus II, Forte II) and I found them very fatiguing at times.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Edit; just saw you needed bookshelves

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #6 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I wouldn't worry so much about "getting a deal". The Ascend 340 lcr is one of the best setups you can get for under $1k, something to look into.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html
post #7 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Take a look at Aperion Audio

center:http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/intimus-family/intimus-5c-center-channel-speaker

Bookshelf:http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/intimus-family/intimus-5b-bookshelf-speaker

These have a warm sound signature. They are better suited for a medium to small room

vardo
post #8 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, I've decided that I would not be happy with the cheap Mordaunt Shorts and it would make more sense to buy something nicer to begin with. The Ascend 340 have very good reviews, but so do many other speakers, and the Ascends are super ugly. That seems like a reasonable criteria since I have to eliminate speakers based on something. I've read about the Aperions in the past and was concerned by the issues mentioned in this review (http://thevinylanachronist.blogspot.com/2010/02/aperion-audio-intimus-5b-loudspeakers.html). I feel like they make some tradeoffs to get the cabinet smaller than I need it to be.

I really like everything I've read about the Focal Chorus line, so I think the best thing to do now is to pick up a pair and here them for myself. Thanks to all of you for your helpful posts not only in this topic but in all of the archived topics too.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 AM

Liked: 27
Hmmm. Apparently I like ugly speakers! I'm not sure why everyone says their ugly, from where I'm sitting they look just like the finish on my Klipsch RW-12D sub. The only thing I can say is if you like shiny black speakers then I guess they are ugly. I read lots of reviews before I bought my speakers and lots of people commented on the looks, but they also commented on the quality components, so when I ordered them I was expecting the speakers to look like ass. I unboxed them and couldn't figure out why nobody liked the looks, it's just flat black and blends well with the rest of the black products I have.
So I like ugly! biggrin.gif Things could be worse I guess.

My brother has some Focals and I really like them and almost bought some. Good luck with the speaker seach, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Focals.

Panasonic TC-P65VT50
Denon 2113ci
Panasonic DMP-BDT220P
Ascend CMT-340SE L/R
Ascend CMT-340SE Center
Ascend CBM-170SE Surrounds
Klipsch RW12-D x 2
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page