Good speakers that can be bought it Canada - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-21-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey I'll be moving into a new house soon with a decent amount of space for 5.1 or 7.1 set up. I was just hoping someone will be able to give a good suggestion for either a 5.1 or 7.1 system that is in the $1000 range (just for the speakers). Also any receiver that will go with the speakers would be awesome as well. The most important thing I'm looking for is there availability in Canada. I'm been going over the forum and found few systems such as Pioneer SP-PK52FS that I really like but it seems impossible to get them in Canada. So any solid speaker system that's available to be either purchased or shipped to Canada would be of great help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
While there are many excellent options elsewhere in the world, dealing internationally has its issues & can be a pain. It shouldn't be, but it is a fact of life. Customs, shipping costs (large, heavy items), exchange rates & warranty issues can be impediments to a satisfying purchasing experience no matter where you live in the world; however, many have never had a problem so it can work.

There are numerous good Canadian speaker manufacturers that make it easy for a Canuck to purchase both ID or in a retail store. I have three Axiom systems that are built in a factory that is a couple of hours north of Toronto. They have complete HT systems (discounted that way) or mix & match. They are a small company that are nice to deal with on a personal level & their website has a very helpful, friendly (mostly, ha!) Forum that you should take a look at:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/

A quick search came up with this list (maybe a bit dated) for many other fine options:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=84302

Now, you just have to go out & find something that sounds good to your ears - not someone else's - and don't be worried about peer approval. Unfortunately, with all of the options out there, choosing a system can be either an enjoyable experience or a stressful & daunting task if you allow it to be.

Good luck...

TAM in BC
post #3 of 17 Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Aperion offers free shipping to Canadian addresses, All orders shipped to Canadian addresses will have 14% Canadian duty added to the order total.

The Audio Insider also ships to Canadian addresses and you can create an account and add what you want to the cart and select from various shipping options. They have posted that its the buyers responsibility to pay any duty or taxes or other required 3rd party fees.

Go around and email the companies to try and get the best deals.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/
http://www.aperionaudio.com/
post #4 of 17 Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 466
HTD makes some real nice stuff and ships to Canada
http://www.htd.com/Risk-Free-In-Home-Trial/shipping-tax

http://www.htd.com/Products

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #5 of 17 Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM

Schwarz:

One thing to beware in cross border purchasing is the hidden, infamous Courier (UPS is the worst) 'Brokerage Fees'. You won't know about them in advance & you'll often be whacked with a hefty, needless brokerage fee - the bigger the shipment, the bigger the fee.. What's more insidious is when you get a bill a month later for an exorbitant amount that you weren't expecting. It happens all the time.

One glimmer of hope is the US Postal Service - they do not charge those fees; however, I don't know if they ship things that are very large like speakers.

TAM
post #6 of 17 Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
I was just hoping someone will be able to give a good suggestion for either a 5.1 or 7.1 system that is in the $1000 range (just for the speakers). ... The most important thing I'm looking for is there availability in Canada.
My suggestions:
- For speakers, shop gently-used through canuckaudiomart.com, [yourcity].kijiji.ca and used[yourcity].com. I recommend Paradigm speakers.
- For a sub, shop SonicBoomAudio, SVS' exclusive Canadian distributor.
- And, finally, given your budget, consider starting off with a good sub and a nice pair of bookshelf mains, then adding a CC speaker, then surrounds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yeah I agree a 2.1 would be wiser than trying to squeeze a 5.1-7.1 into a $1,000 budget. I would stick with SVS for subwoofer if at all possible or a used Paradigm subwoofer.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-24-2013, 12:42 PM

Liked: 23
I would suggest to look and listen to paradigm or psb as both are canadian companies and well respected. Paradigm for example has everthing from lifestyle systems to high end systems Something for every budget. . Most local audio stores will discount these products as I have never paid full price for anything I have bought from them. By going to these stores it also gives you an idea of what sounds best to you, and what your preference is. You can also see some of the othe brands that they carry such as klipsch, monitor audio, etc. etc. As someone else suggested gently used is always a option as you can find some good deals . As far as subs go, Just before christmas I got an svs sub from sonic boom as I am in canada also and they make great products. As for axiom speakers, you do have to pay return shipping if you don't like them as I found out the hard way. Also resale on axiom products are not that great. If your really intent on interent direct then I would probaly go with aperion as many happy owners of them on avs and also good reviews and a 10 year warranty. I agree with ex-labdriver about peer approval as you don't want to purchase something just cause they own them. When someone suggests only the brand they own and no other options would make me leary as they are alot of good brands out there. In the end it's your money, your ears, and your preference of what you like sound wise and no one here can know what that is. Go audition, read reviews and of course ask questions here and happy hunting. smile.gif
post #9 of 17 Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 PM

One more pitfall that I forgot to mention if you purchase internationally is CC charges if you are dealing in a currency other than your own. CC companies gleefully add 2.5% for their own cut.

This can be a significant charge on top of your expected invoice especially if it is a large purchase costing lots of bucks.

When buying ID, read the fine print ref returns, warranties, etc. Over to you...

TAM
post #10 of 17 Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM

Liked: 11
Paradigm , paradigm , paradigm .... wink.gif

I shall be telling this with a sigh..
Somewhere ages and ages hence..
Two roads diverged in a wood and I..
I took the one less-travelled by..
And that has made all the difference..
post #11 of 17 Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 PM

The OP has not commented since his first post - are we talking to ourselves here??

TAM
post #12 of 17 Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 AM

Liked: 23
Maybe the OP jumped ship, we are on our own.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-26-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Google says he's on reddit.com asking advice on PJ+screen. Before he posted his question here, he asked a similar question on reddit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
PSB is in Canada.

They make excellent speakers.

Seems like an easy solution to me.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Google says he's on reddit.com asking advice on PJ+screen. Before he posted his question here, he asked a similar question on reddit.

Ok that's kind of scary lol, but I just didn't realize that anyone was actually replying to my thread. Thanks for all the reply some great advice. I'm looking into a 2.1 paradigm set cause I think i might be in love with the monitor 7's I had a listen to.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok that's kind of scary lol ...
Nah, it's just a matter of typing your username into Google and seeing what comes up. smile.gif
Quote:
I'm looking into a 2.1 paradigm set cause I think i might be in love with the monitor 7's I had a listen to.
Ain't love grand? biggrin.gif

Best of luck with the new set-up! cool.gif

post #17 of 17 Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 PM

Liked: 12
Do what I do if your near the border. Use one of the shipping storage places. Mine costs five bucks to pick it up and its 3 minutes across the border. Stay in the us for a couple of night on vacation and you can claim 800 bucks.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page