Ideal Gaming and Music Speakers for computer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a pretty nice gaming computer I play mostly fps games and listen to Punk/ska/alternative/classic rock.

I am looking to set up a descent full range 2.1 setup going down close to 35 hz (you crazy audiophiles can have your stuff below human hearing range). I do not like the sound quality coming from PC Speakers as I think even the high end logitechs sound tiny and cheap (because they are). I was thinking of cobbling together a bunch of used stuff to make a proper system. The following is my plan.

Denon AVR 589 (used $50)
2 X Energy CB-20 (used $200)
Pinnacle Model SUBcompact 8 (new $250)

I would probably prefer a more compact setup and the sub is overkill since I'll be 3 ft from it but most descent subs that go down to 35 hz tend to have more wattage. I am open to what you guys can do with $500 or if you think a soundbar and sub combo or high end pc speaker is the way to go for less money let me know (I am ok with less wattage). My current HT setup consists of two Mirage omni 350 towers, Pinnacle BD 300 center, and the rest filled in with energy take classic bundle and I consider this descent sound (although some of you may look down upon it). I would prefer to use a digital signal (I have hdmi/tos link, and rca spdif) out of the computer as integrated realtek sound is not the greatest. My computer is in a terrible spot to run wire to the rear for a true surround sound although wireless might be an option. Thank you to whoever helps and hopefully I provided enough info about what I want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 168
For $250 for a subwoofer I would perfer something bigger like a Polk PSW505 currently $190 on amazon shipped which is an amazing deal and far superior to the small little 8"-er you believe will be sufficient
post #3 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

I bought my parents the same sub for their HT set up. It is not a very tight sub. My Energy ESW-8 that came with my take 5 classic set sounds much better even after I got the crossover to 80 hz with the polk with better front speakers although that one does make me giggle when you crank it up for an action movie or when my dad is watching Nascar. The amount of power out of that sub for the money is awesome and the fidelity is not too bad considering the price. Keep in mind again this has to fit underneath a computer desk and I will be 3 ft away from it.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Hey there! Just wanted to chime in with a couple of options I've had a lot of experience with.

Firstly, I would skip the Subcompact 8. Instead, I would strongly suggest using a Pioneer SW-8 in the near field. I've been using one for 2 years now in a near field PC setup and it is excellent for the purpose. It offers good tonality, output, and, in my case with my particular boundary reinforcement, I'm getting solid response into the 20Hz range. Right now it is deeply discounted on NewEgg with promo-code. You cannot go wrong.

Now that you've freed up some money, and since they are currently on sale, I can't recommend the Ascend CBM-170SE enough for near field (or any other use, for that matter). A very well balanced speaker that, IMHO, it a good step up from most Energy monitors I've heard outside of the Veritas line.

Put the remaining funds into the receiver.

Win!

biggrin.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 AM

Liked: 13
I'm using a set of Athena AS-B1's on my PC with great results. Was using a set of Logitech Z-2300's, and while I liked them the Athena's have much more accurate and full sound. Paired with the Pioneer sub vraxoin mentioned would be a great setup IMO.

HD-DVD: 55 / Blu-ray: 83
newest: Brotherhood of the Wolf / Battlestar Galactica (series), TDKR Part 2, Ip Man 2

AVR: Marantz SR6006

F/C/R: Polk RTi A9's / CSi A6 / Speakercraft AIMWIDE 3

Sub: SVS PB12-NSD

Samsung PN58C8000 Samsung BD-P2550, Toshiba HD-A30, SA 8240HDC, Xbox360 Elite, PS3, WDTV Live

post #6 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your input. I bought the Pioneer sub right away and I'm probably going to cheap out and stick with the energy CB-20s. I was able to pick up a used DRA-685 Denon stereo receiver with really nice specs for sound quality but I will have to get a sound card for the stereo out. I was thinking of a Asus Xonar DX as I like running linux. I'm still waiting on speaker wire and cables to set it up. I'm not real good at giving feedback on how something sounds but I will let you guys know if I'm happy with it. I've always been a believer in looking at a speaker response curve to compare and listen to it yourself to decide. No two peoples ears are the same.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 PM

Liked: 13
Congrats! Look forward to hearing your impressions.

HD-DVD: 55 / Blu-ray: 83
newest: Brotherhood of the Wolf / Battlestar Galactica (series), TDKR Part 2, Ip Man 2

AVR: Marantz SR6006

F/C/R: Polk RTi A9's / CSi A6 / Speakercraft AIMWIDE 3

Sub: SVS PB12-NSD

Samsung PN58C8000 Samsung BD-P2550, Toshiba HD-A30, SA 8240HDC, Xbox360 Elite, PS3, WDTV Live

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page