Tower speakers sub-$400 budget - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 90 Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Before I consider the ML 10's, how much for a center speaker? do they make them for that series for less than 350? that was the other question, along with would they sound ok with my satellites, since they use soft-dome tweeters?

So to recap. What i am looking for suggestions on.

1. Infinity Primus p363bk

2. Premier acoustic PA-6f

Not bookshelves. Not speakers that are $500 plus. Not white speakers (prefer cherry or black) but, as the title indicates, i am looking for tower speakers, that total cost is under 400 dollars.

I have been doing all kinds of research on speakers and know other options, including polks, Martin logan, Pioneer, Jbl, Klipsh, energy.

I auditioned the Pioneer andrew jones series, the JBL ES80, the Klipsh rf42 (and RF82, which if i had the money would be mine because they sound amazing, but i don't), Polk everything(monitor 50,60,65,70 and A9's), and energy something or other, was so unimpressed with the energy i completely nixed them. And in my personal opinion, and at my price budget, the infinity's sounded the best.

So in conclusion, what I am looking for is speakers that are NOT any of the ones i previously auditioned, but sound similar or better than the infinity's (and at fry's they are having a sale on them for 117 ea) and am edging towards the Premier acoustic PA-6f as all of the reviews i have read seem to favor these speakers. So what I would really like to know, is if the PA or the infinity's are the better bang for the buck.

Please stop suggesting the same speakers i have already auditioned and have already vetoed (on this thread), as it is getting repetitive, and making you look foolish for suggesting speakers that i have already listened to and have already said i wasn't fond of. (including the pioneer fs-52s which i have said now twice that i was not overly impressed with)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 294
The Motion 6 center is $300.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #63 of 90 Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 147
You have a thread with 60 plus replies! Instead of lecturing those trying to help you, maybe it is time to make a decision and get on with it!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #64 of 90 Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetocdnerd View Post

Before I consider the ML 10's, how much for a center speaker? do they make them for that series for less than 350? that was the other question, along with would they sound ok with my satellites, since they use soft-dome tweeters?

So to recap. What i am looking for suggestions on.

1. Infinity Primus p363bk

2. Premier acoustic PA-6f

Not bookshelves. Not speakers that are $500 plus. Not white speakers (prefer cherry or black) but, as the title indicates, i am looking for tower speakers, that total cost is under 400 dollars.

I have been doing all kinds of research on speakers and know other options, including polks, Martin logan, Pioneer, Jbl, Klipsh, energy.

I auditioned the Pioneer andrew jones series, the JBL ES80, the Klipsh rf42 (and RF82, which if i had the money would be mine because they sound amazing, but i don't), Polk everything(monitor 50,60,65,70 and A9's), and energy something or other, was so unimpressed with the energy i completely nixed them. And in my personal opinion, and at my price budget, the infinity's sounded the best.

So in conclusion, what I am looking for is speakers that are NOT any of the ones i previously auditioned, but sound similar or better than the infinity's (and at fry's they are having a sale on them for 117 ea) and am edging towards the Premier acoustic PA-6f as all of the reviews i have read seem to favor these speakers. So what I would really like to know, is if the PA or the infinity's are the better bang for the buck.

Please stop suggesting the same speakers i have already auditioned and have already vetoed (on this thread), as it is getting repetitive, and making you look foolish for suggesting speakers that i have already listened to and have already said i wasn't fond of. (including the pioneer fs-52s which i have said now twice that i was not overly impressed with)

So after listening to all those speakers and deciding the Infinity sounds best, you want someone to recommend speakers that you wont be able to hear?

Might as well keep the search alive then.

What happened to the BIC FH6-t?
http://www.amazon.com/America-FT-6T-400-Watt-2-Way-Speaker/dp/B002ISZEV2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359604828&sr=8-1&keywords=bic+fh-6t

HTD Level TWO towers
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Tower-Speakers

Definitive Technology BP8B
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325015

Afro GT
post #65 of 90 Old 01-31-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

You have a thread with 60 plus replies! Instead of lecturing those trying to help you, maybe it is time to make a decision and get on with it!
Budgetocdnerd, Elihawk is right on point, at times at can be difficult to provide the support this forum is so well known for when it is met with hostility. You must have more than enough information with which to work. The differences are nuanced, subtle, and driven to a large extent by personal preference.

I suggest you finally pull the trigger on the Infinity Primus P63bk for the following reasons:

* They are Not White
* They are not Bookshelves
* They are not Pioneers, JBL's, Klipsch, Polk's, or Energy's
* You appear to like them
* I once had an Infinity G35 that I liked...wait, that's a car...well still applies because the name is cool
* Optimus Prime is a pretty cool transformer character, and Primus kind of sounds like that
* As a means of sharpening you decision making prowess

As Meatloaf once said in Paradise by the Dashboard Light, "what's it gonna be..."
Robert Clark and RPGMasta like this.
post #66 of 90 Old 01-31-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

OK thank you for the input, but as it happens, I have been talking to Co workers, and if I get the premier acoustic pa-6f and don't like them, he will trade me his infinity 363, which he purchased 2 weeks ago
post #67 of 90 Old 01-31-2013, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I ran into a guy in the parking lot the other day who had the perfect speakers for you. His van was white, not his speakers.

Seriously, just get the Infinitys. If you still can. That Fry's sale is ephemeral.
post #68 of 90 Old 01-31-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

OK thank you for the input, but as it happens, I have been talking to Co workers, and if I get the premier acoustic pa-6f and don't like them, he will trade me his infinity 363, which he purchased 2 weeks ago and the difference in price
post #69 of 90 Old 01-31-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Hemi View Post

I ran into a guy in the parking lot the other day who had the perfect speakers for you. His van was white, not his speakers.

Seriously, just get the Infinitys. If you still can. That Fry's sale is ephemeral.
Yea those speakers look like the deal of the century!!!! Thanks for wasting precious oxygen
post #70 of 90 Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

So after listening to all those speakers and deciding the Infinity sounds best, you want someone to recommend speakers that you wont be able to hear?

Might as well keep the search alive then.

What happened to the BIC FH6-t?
http://www.amazon.com/America-FT-6T-400-Watt-2-Way-Speaker/dp/B002ISZEV2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359604828&sr=8-1&keywords=bic+fh-6t

HTD Level TWO towers
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Tower-Speakers

Definitive Technology BP8B
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325015

yea what about the BIC's? As ive said the FH-6T's have better specs than the infinities and are cheaper. do more research.
post #71 of 90 Old 02-01-2013, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

I am kind of reluctant to try horn tweeters, as the places that i have been doing research at say that they have a narrower soundstage, if i am wrong, let me know. Also thinking that the horn tweeter is also covering the midrange, which makes the speakers a 2 way, and was thinking that i wanted a 3 way.... so each set of speakers can have their own specific task. I am going out to a speaker shop tomorrow though and they have the bic's so i will get a chance to audition them. Btw for anyone following this post, i have waited, because i had to loan some money to my friend, so i am going to be making my final decision by next thursday. and its really not the infinity's that i am super interested in, it is the Premier Acoustics PA-6f, and will go to the infinity's if i don't like them.
post #72 of 90 Old 02-01-2013, 04:29 AM

Liked: 21
I hate time wasters too, budgetocdnerd, so i made sure to read your posts very thoroughly.
Have you thought about these:
http://www.digitalcinema.com.au/Jamo-S-404-Bookshelf-Speaker-High-Gloss-White-p/jamo-s-404-white.htm

They meet all your requirements;
*2-way
*white
*bookshelf
*$499
*goes up to 20khz

Although disappointingly they aren't Polk, don't let that discourage you.

I really think you should get them or at least consider them. Your housemate should really like them.
post #73 of 90 Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:

OK thank you for the input, but as it happens, I have been talking to Co workers, and if I get the premier acoustic pa-6f and don't like them, he will trade me his infinity 363, which he purchased 2 weeks ago and the difference in price

So, if you don't like the PA speakers your co-worker will trade you his Infiniti P363 towers for them? What happens if he doesn't like the PA speakers either? If he doesn't like his Infinity 363 speakers why doesn't he just return them, he's only had em for two weeks? You have 30 days to return items to Fry's.

What's the cost difference?

This is a very strange thread.

Afro GT
post #74 of 90 Old 02-01-2013, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Very strange indeed. And for the reasons you mention, fraught with peril. All I can say is, I don't want to be around that water cooler when all this goes bad.
post #75 of 90 Old 02-01-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD360 View Post

I hate time wasters too, budgetocdnerd, so i made sure to read your posts very thoroughly.
http://www.digitalcinema.com.au/Jamo-S-404-Bookshelf-Speaker-High-Gloss-White-p/jamo-s-404-white.htm

*2-way
*white
*bookshelf
*$499
*goes up to 20khz

I really think you should get them or at least consider them. Your housemate should really like them.

Dont feed the trolls
post #76 of 90 Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

He does like the infinity's, but he used to be the manager at a small speaker store, and liked them back then, and he doesn't believe in banks or credit cards... so for him to have to find them and pay cash is a bit more difficult. Off to audition the Bics and infinity's side by side... And the price difference is about 50 bucks
post #77 of 90 Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD360 View Post

*2-way
*white
*bookshelf
*$499
*goes up to 20khz

ahahahahhaha smile.gif OMGim dyin hahahahaha. thats great.
post #78 of 90 Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 PM

Liked: 10
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780082

I'd keep an eye on these if you like the Klipsch sound. They are above your budget now but I've seen them go down to $200 ea on this site. Good luck in your search!
post #79 of 90 Old 02-01-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:

He does like the infinity's, but he used to be the manager at a small speaker store, and liked them back then, and he doesn't believe in banks or credit cards... so for him to have to find them and pay cash is a bit more difficult. Off to audition the Bics and infinity's side by side... And the price difference is about 50 bucks

Ooooo, im am excited to hear the comparison, please take your time ive really wanted to hear some feedback on the shootout between these two brands. im excited now. As far as horn tweeters go, ive heard the opposite, that they are more efficient and have a broader soundstage. This is why it is the choice for movie theaters, imax, and any more expensive manufacturers, look around many high/very high end manufactures use horns! For me whatever sounds best/better specs for my price bracket is what i will go with.

Truth be told; a wise man once said: you can nit pick the details in a showroom/specs all you want, but when it boils down to it, and you put the item in your home with nothing to compare it to, its going to sound amazing. (same goes for tvs picture wise aside from ghosting)

Stay true and go with what YOU want. If the sound difference is marginal but you like the look of one better GET IT, its going to sit in your room so you need to be happy with it. or vice versa. whatever matters more to you.

KO
post #80 of 90 Old 02-01-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

OK, so back from the audition. and have some things to say...tongue.gif

High end horns, better than conventional tweeters, ask klipsh and IMAX, but the horns are not the midranges on those high end speakers.

Mid/low end horns, worse than conventional tweeters.

Bics do sound decent, but comparing side by side with Both the infinity's and the Premier acoustics, no comparison, the premier acoustics are phenominal. The salesman went way out of his way to help me, he had his own speakers in the store, because he was getting new foam grills that he was making himself, and he let me listen to them. No doubt in my mind that i am getting the best speakers with the Premier acoustics.

IMHO the Bics sound better than the infinity's, and if i had to choose between them, i would have chosen the BIC's. But my decision has been made up, and i am going with the Premier Acoustic PA-6f's

Thanks for the input and feedback (and trolling)
post #81 of 90 Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Isn't that speaker (the one you just got back from hearing for a first time) the same one that's been your avatar icon for at least the past 2 days?
post #82 of 90 Old 02-01-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

nope, just changed it today, it was klipsh rf 62s before that, but thanks for your help and useful input on the subject, not just jumping in watching my avatar
post #83 of 90 Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 AM

which BIC's did you audition, they make 3 different models good, better, best. that is really important to note- just wondering for myself.
post #84 of 90 Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 PM

cool man. wish i could audition them. i want the whole acoustech setup one day soon in a 9.2 amped to 200w rms with 2 epik empires and 2 pl-200's, but its too powerfull for where im at now mad.gif. Glad you enjoyed them. I here the premiers are good, but i am not interested in 3-way, but thats just me. I have three subs on my 7.1 now, a mid, medium, and low range to handle the gamete of bass, with 2 ways all around! my setup now is too powerfull as is smile.gif! never goes higher than half volume, and subs are usually off/all down to minimum untill i know im isolated with no one withing 50 feet of my room lol (neighbors). Cool well enjoy. Oh also bear in mind i believe the premiers are bi-amped so be aware when you hook them up, youll get alot more if you use the bi-amp feature. remember, USE MONOPRICE CABLES, its well known and proven expensive cables are a sham. GL.

Rule of thumb:

No more than $30 (max $50 for long runs) per any single signal cable (hdmi,optical) that includes huge runs to things like projectors.
And monoprice 12awg/2 shielded copper. i think round 30 bucks/100 feet speaker wire.

Do that, and you are a wise man.

KO
post #85 of 90 Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Operator View Post

cool man. wish i could audition them. i want the whole acoustech setup one day soon in a 9.2 amped to 200w rms with 2 epik empires and 2 pl-200's, but its too powerfull for where im at now mad.gif. Glad you enjoyed them. I here the premiers are good, but i am not interested in 3-way, but thats just me. I have three subs on my 7.1 now, a mid, medium, and low range to handle the gamete of bass, with 2 ways all around! my setup now is too powerfull as is smile.gif! never goes higher than half volume, and subs are usually off/all down to minimum untill i know im isolated with no one withing 50 feet of my room lol (neighbors). Cool well enjoy. Oh also bear in mind i believe the premiers are bi-amped so be aware when you hook them up, youll get alot more if you use the bi-amp feature. remember, USE MONOPRICE CABLES, its well known and proven expensive cables are a sham. GL.

Rule of thumb:

No more than $30 (max $50 for long runs) per any single signal cable (hdmi,optical) that includes huge runs to things like projectors.
And monoprice 12awg/2 shielded copper. i think round 30 bucks/100 feet speaker wire.

Do that, and you are a wise man.

KO

I was doing a bit of research on speaker wire too, for my length, (about 20 feet max) 14 ga cable should be more than enough, (http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/speaker-cable-gauge) for the towers, and surrounds (under 30 feet max) so i was looking at around 100 ft cable (although i honestly think that i could do with 50, as currently my towers will only be 8' for 1 tower and 1.5' for the second, as my receiver is off to the side of the seating area)

And for Bi-wiring, is that even necessary? i was just going to make 4 3" jumpers (2 per speaker) to go from the bottom (LF) to the top (HF), would that work?
post #86 of 90 Old 02-05-2013, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 285
posts deleted

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #87 of 90 Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 AM

yea for your setup 14awg should be fine. i just buy the 12 to have it on hand, it will work best in almost any application. i bought 250ft to redo my room, had about a third left over, with plenty of slack in the runs to move things around. but as you said, 50ft will prolly be enough. as for the bi-ampable speakers, i am not that familiar with them (cuz i prefer 2 way with subs), but i do know that is the proper way to hook them up for best performance. im just concerned that the guy in the show room had them hooked up that way when you auditioned, and if you dont, you will be disappointed. just a thought.
Quote:
And for Bi-wiring, is that even necessary? i was just going to make 4 3" jumpers (2 per speaker) to go from the bottom (LF) to the top (HF), would that work?

Im not sure, its been awhile but i think thats going to run them in parralel which doing a jumper will not have the effect you want it to.

Wait! i did this once! did a jumper. that should work. lets see:

i did it to 2 pairs of bookshelf speakers, not larger woofers.

Heres the issue, you will not be able to use the crossover on your receiver, which means you will be sending the sub- highs, and the high and mids, bass notes (cuz theyre being powered by the same channel. Also you will lose power, and will not be able to play the system as loud as you could, cuz its sucking away the power from a channel designed to drive one woofer is now driving 2. may as well not do it at all at that point.

best bet look on craigslist and see if theres a 4 channel stereo receiver around and actually bi amp it.
post #88 of 90 Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
Quote:

Quote:

And for Bi-wiring, is that even necessary?

Bi-wiring: A waste of time and money.
Quote:
i was just going to make 4 3" jumpers (2 per speaker) to go from the bottom (LF) to the top (HF), would that work?

Of course!

14 gauge should be fine.

BTW of the speakers you've mentioned, Premier Acoustics seems to be the most robust offering.

And to be honest, I wouldn't put too much stock in speaker demos - speaker sound is so strongly influenced by the room that they are in.
post #89 of 90 Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 AM

Liked: 15
Wow!
post #90 of 90 Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

yea for your setup 14awg should be fine. i just buy the 12 to have it on hand, it will work best in almost any application. i bought 250ft to redo my room, had about a third left over, with plenty of slack in the runs to move things around. but as you said, 50ft will prolly be enough. as for the bi-ampable speakers, i am not that familiar with them (cuz i prefer 2 way with subs), but i do know that is the proper way to hook them up for best performance. im just concerned that the guy in the show room had them hooked up that way when you auditioned, and if you dont, you will be disappointed. just a thought.
Im not sure, its been awhile but i think thats going to run them in parralel which doing a jumper will not have the effect you want it to.

Wait! i did this once! did a jumper. that should work. lets see:

[IMG ALT=""]http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/ i did it to 2 pairs of bookshelf speakers, not larger woofers. Heres the issue, you will not be able to use the crossover on your receiver, which means you will be sending the sub- highs, and the high and mids, bass notes (cuz theyre being powered by the same channel. Also you will lose power, and will not be able to play the system as loud as you could, cuz its sucking away the power from a channel designed to drive one woofer is now driving 2. may as well not do it at all at that point. best bet look on craigslist and see if theres a 4 channel stereo receiver around and actually bi amp it.

From what I understand about bi-wiring/bi-amping is that since the larger speaker use more power, that essentially they get first dibs, then the midrange /tweeters. And the the speaker has jumpers already built in, via brass connectors, I was just going to make a more secure, and less resistive contact with the speaker wire
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page