Speaker Stand Suggestions for Monitor Audio Silver RX2...? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-23-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planing to buy the RX2 speakers fairly soon. But they're a little on the large/heavy side, so I'd like some suggestions for good (universal?) stands which would do a good job of holding and protecting the speakers.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I went with the Sanus SF series. Steel construction, fillable with (dry) sand or lead shot, rated to hold up to 35 lbs, and that's conservative for how well it's made.

IMO, YMMV
Joseph

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #3 of 18 Old 01-23-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. What size speakers are you running on those? From where did you buy them?
post #4 of 18 Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

HSU HB1 MK2's . something like 14 lbs each... I liked the look, and firmly believe in overkill. A buy it once / hatred of my own experience with cheap tools mentality. Just buy the right one once.
I think I got them from geeks dot . com , but I found the best price on price grabber dot . com

post #5 of 18 Old 01-23-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

I just checked out the SF22 model on their website. They look legit. However, even those ones are going to be about an inch more narrow, and more then three inches less deep than the size of the RX2 speakers. But I'm not sure whether that amount of speaker overhang is cause for concern or not? Plus, those MA speakers weigh more than 20lbs each.

I should preface that the real reason I'm concerned about the stability, is that I have a 3-year-old, and as much as she is very good about not playing with the adult things in the house, you still never know when an errant ball or giant stuffed animal might make solid contact with the stands...
post #6 of 18 Old 01-23-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nash View Post

I just checked out the SF22 model on their website. They look legit. However, even those ones are going to be about an inch more narrow, and more then three inches less deep than the size of the RX2 speakers. But I'm not sure whether that amount of speaker overhang is cause for concern or not? Plus, those MA speakers weigh more than 20lbs each.

I should preface that the real reason I'm concerned about the stability, is that I have a 3-year-old, and as much as she is very good about not playing with the adult things in the house, you still never know when an errant ball or giant stuffed animal might make solid contact with the stands...

Never underestimate the power of a toddler. They are the stuff that Murphy's Law are made of.

I had mine customized by a good friend who does ironwork art. You send him an idea along with dimensions and he can make it happen. I had mine designed to match the antique furniture in my living room.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #7 of 18 Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

half an inch over on each side, and an inch and a half front and back... seems just about perfect. smile.gif

personal preference here... but my speakers are very similar as far as the overhang... when centered. However, I don't center them. I like a good amount of toe-in, and the smaller (upper) base allows me turn my speakers, without turning the stands , and still not see the base plate. After further searching, I see those RX2's have a larger footprint than my Hsus, but I still wouldn't worry. 21 lb speakers on top of 30 + lb stands (when filled... looks like 16 lbs empty each for the 22's) is pretty stable.

IMO, YMMV
Joseph

post #8 of 18 Old 01-23-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Never underestimate the power of a toddler. They are the stuff that Murphy's Law are made of.

I had mine customized by a good friend who does ironwork art. You send him an idea along with dimensions and he can make it happen. I had mine designed to match the antique furniture in my living room.

Thanks. That stand looks really nice. I love the little lip around the side to help keep the speaker in place.
And, indeed, these little critters do have a tendency to find the Achilles heel in almost any operation... smile.gif
post #9 of 18 Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

half an inch over on each side, and an inch and a half front and back... seems just about perfect. smile.gif

personal preference here... but my speakers are very similar as far as the overhang... when centered. However, I don't center them. I like a good amount of toe-in, and the smaller (upper) base allows me turn my speakers, without turning the stands , and still not see the base plate. After further searching, I see those RX2's have a larger footprint than my Hsus, but I still wouldn't worry. 21 lb speakers on top of 30 + lb stands (when filled... looks like 16 lbs empty each for the 22's) is pretty stable.

IMO, YMMV
Joseph

Cool. Thanks. Indeed, the overhang isn't extreme. But I've never had speakers on stands before, so I'm trying to proceed cautiously.
Ideally, we would get a low entertainment cabinet, and the speakers would live happy lives on that much more stable surface. But, that's a MUCH more expensive solution than good speaker stands. I think the key would be to get the heaviest ballast I could for those.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 PM

Liked: 20
Hi Doug. I'm Ina similar spot. 3 year old boy, small dog. Lots of activity in the house at times.

I've been researching stands for a few days and here are a few lesser mentioned options.

Atlantic adjustables. Rotate 45 degrees. Typical boring cast iron look with cheesy carbon fiber bases. Only $60. More tempting to me than the Sanus SF or NF.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007P8DKDE/ref=gno_cart_title_1

Transdeco's

Some of the nicest looking stand IMO. Twice the cost of the Atlantics. Slightly more than the Sanus SF. Larger 7.1 x 7.1top plate. I'm really liking the glossy look of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Fixed-Height-Speaker-Stand-Set/dp/B001PYV7LQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1O44AD1XRNFCJ&coliid=I7XTD0N4239OP

Here are some, IMO, fugly but adjustable options.

Planet 3

http://www.amazon.com/PLANET-3-55250-Planet-Speaker/dp/B0019FNV0Q/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1O44AD1XRNFCJ&coliid=ICKT2S99LBOF8

Vantage Point

http://www.amazon.com/Vantage-Point-SSB-30BB-Adjustable-Bookshelf/dp/B0006G1IJ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1358998275&sr=1-1&keywords=vantage+point

And these plateaus. Nice glossy aluminum but fairly expensive for stands.

http://www.amazon.com/Plateau-Series-Black-Speaker-Stands/dp/B0000DEYEE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1O44AD1XRNFCJ&coliid=I2RSPRVMNRMLIJ

And there are some others out there on the web that just don't do it for me but you can look em up. Omni mount Gemini 2s. D2's (big bulky things). VTI's etc.

No matter what I get, I'll probably get some Blu tak or Quake Hold museum putty to help adhere the speakers to the stands.

Good luck. We're all counting on you. smile.gif
post #11 of 18 Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondongle View Post

Hi Doug. I'm Ina similar spot. 3 year old boy, small dog. Lots of activity in the house at times.

I've been researching stands for a few days and here are a few lesser mentioned options.

Atlantic adjustables. Rotate 45 degrees. Typical boring cast iron look with cheesy carbon fiber bases. Only $60. More tempting to me than the Sanus SF or NF.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007P8DKDE/ref=gno_cart_title_1

Transdeco's

Some of the nicest looking stand IMO. Twice the cost of the Atlantics. Slightly more than the Sanus SF. Larger 7.1 x 7.1top plate. I'm really liking the glossy look of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Fixed-Height-Speaker-Stand-Set/dp/B001PYV7LQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1O44AD1XRNFCJ&coliid=I7XTD0N4239OP

Here are some, IMO, fugly but adjustable options.

Planet 3

http://www.amazon.com/PLANET-3-55250-Planet-Speaker/dp/B0019FNV0Q/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1O44AD1XRNFCJ&coliid=ICKT2S99LBOF8

Vantage Point

http://www.amazon.com/Vantage-Point-SSB-30BB-Adjustable-Bookshelf/dp/B0006G1IJ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1358998275&sr=1-1&keywords=vantage+point

And these plateaus. Nice glossy aluminum but fairly expensive for stands.

http://www.amazon.com/Plateau-Series-Black-Speaker-Stands/dp/B0000DEYEE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1O44AD1XRNFCJ&coliid=I2RSPRVMNRMLIJ

And there are some others out there on the web that just don't do it for me but you can look em up. Omni mount Gemini 2s. D2's (big bulky things). VTI's etc.

No matter what I get, I'll probably get some Blu tak or Quake Hold museum putty to help adhere the speakers to the stands.

Good luck. We're all counting on you. smile.gif

Thanks! Great links, and I'll browse through those options. As far as the temp adhesives, I had never even thought about that. Great idea. I'm not familiar with either of the products you mentioned, but Google will sort things out. I know some people actually drill into the bottoms of the speakers, through the top plate of the stand. But assuming I come home with the RX2 Silvers, now way I'm desecrating those beauties with screws holes.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nash View Post

Thanks. That stand looks really nice. I love the little lip around the side to help keep the speaker in place.
And, indeed, these little critters do have a tendency to find the Achilles heel in almost any operation... smile.gif

You'll also notice in my design that there's space underneath. I did it so I could put a plant (vine) or knick-knack underneath for decoration. Forgot to add one thing. Although I designed the lip to keep the speaker in place, I use blu-tak to keep the speaker firm. It would have to take one hell of a hit to knock it off the stand. Blu-tak is readily available on eBay or Amazon (at least the last time I looked.)

Oh yeah...do NOT drill into speakers...period!

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #13 of 18 Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 PM

Welli ordered the Atlantic ones from Amazon today. Just don't really want to spend $119 for so e stands. Add that to the cost of my SM350s and I may as well have got some floor standing speakers.

I like the idea of the Atlantics rotating. Wish they were glossy and didn't have carbon fiber stands though. Thankfully Amazon has a good return policy so if they're too bad ill send them back and get the transdecos or something.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-25-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondongle View Post

Welli ordered the Atlantic ones from Amazon today. Just don't really want to spend $119 for so e stands. Add that to the cost of my SM350s and I may as well have got some floor standing speakers.

I like the idea of the Atlantics rotating. Wish they were glossy and didn't have carbon fiber stands though. Thankfully Amazon has a good return policy so if they're too bad ill send them back and get the transdecos or something.

Please let us know what you think when you receive them. I checked the Atlantic site, and read the specs. Unfortunately, they only have the one size, and at 6x6 for the top plate, they're dangerously too small for the 11" depth of the RX2. Also, I am a little concerned that they have plastic bases, not steel, and because the cord management runs inside the tube, it would appear (maybe you can confirm) that there would be no clean way of adding shot to the base. And with the heavy RX2 speaker, that would be a must.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 PM

I actually tried canceling the order shortly after placing it. Turns out that Amazon Prime is perilously fast and it was too late to cancel. They said I could refuse delivery so I may just do that and never even open the box.

I showed them to my wife and she said "those aren't the ones you wanted, those are the ugly ones". smile.gif

We're redoing our kitchen right now so I'm a bit of a penny pinching mode (even though I did get these little bookshelves). But in the end it's only $60 more for nicer stands and I just don't dig the overly square fake carbon fiber look of these.

The stands for my existing HTIB system were very well done. They were made custom by Harman Kardon to match the speakers. They weren't the best speaker, but not the worst - for satellite style speakers. But at least they looked nice. smile.gif

http://www.harmankardon.com/HI-IN/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=HTFS%202BQ/U
post #16 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM

The Atlantic Stands came in on Monday night around 7:30 but I just had a chance to look at them last night (been busy priming/sanding cabinets).

Feeling the weight of the box (only 15lbs for two stands) I immediately knew I was going to return them. So didn't take any pictures.

I did go ahead an pull the tubes out of the box - by adjustable, they don't mean they are adjustable 'on the fly'. The top plate actually has a small tube section that fits down inside the larger 'tube' of the stand'. There are three holes drilled in each section and once you determine which position you want the speaker plate in, you insert a screw and that holds it in place. Pretty unsightly seeming.

And I never even pulled the stand bottoms out of the inner packing box. They were super light. Maybe some form of MDF.

They would have been easy enough to fill, but don't want to go through the hassle of all that.

Return shipping through Amazon was easy enough so far. I just printed out a label and put it back on the box. My wife was going to be out running some errands today so she said she'd take them to UPS for me - otherwise I could've have scheduled a UPS pickup from the house.

Now I just need to decide if I want the Def Tech stands or the TransDeco.

Have you had any luck deciding/shopping around Doug? Any new discoveries?
post #17 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that updated info. No, I've been unable to get time to continue my research, and this is my first time back here since last week.
I have a suspicion (like with most things) you get what you pay for. The substantially cheaper stands have to give up something. If I don't come up with an economically viable design to build myself, I might get those Sanus SF ones. They're all metal, and look like they don't skimp on much.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Try the VTI VIP stands. They look good and are rated for heavy speakers.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page