Best bang for the buck HT speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-23-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have some B&W's that look nice and think I will put them in my bedroom.

For HT where speakers will be behind the screen or fabric wall, what is good on the price/performance scale? I want to do 7 speakers and at least 2 subs, so price goes up fast. I don't listen at reference,but want a punchy sound. I would like something with reasonably low bass extension, leaving the subs for the deepest stuff. Room is roughly 20x30x12 with 1 main row of seating.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Budget?
post #3 of 16 Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 PM

Liked: 19
Duplicate post.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would like to know regardless of budget. I'm assuming best price/performance for my size room wouldn't be anything outlandish.

post #5 of 16 Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 446
In that room I would go for either a speaker/sub package from JTR, or some JBL LSR6332 speakers with subs from JTR or Seaton. I think that would be the most performance for your money, since aesthetics are not a consideration here.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
What is your budget because there will be a huge difference, from lets say Triad Platinum's LCR at $7500 each or down to Ascend Acoustics at $900 for front 3 LCR. Same goes for surrounds in price variance. So budget should be a concern. I would be interested in some replies too, however budget would be a concern for my decision.

LCR: (Either new or used)
Lets say best speakers for $5000 +
Then $3000-$4999
$1000-$2999
Then below.

Same for surrounds.

What would one pick?

post #7 of 16 Old 01-24-2013, 08:09 PM

Liked: 13
This is for my budget, but hey maybe it will work for yours:

depending on your setup $2000-$4000 for the speakers (5.1/9.2/multiple subs ect)

The setup i was considering was:
BIC AMERICA ACOUSTECH series
FL-FR: PL-89
CTR: PL-28
SURROUNDS: PL-66 (4)
HEIGHTS: PL-28 0r PL26 (2)
SUBS: PL-200 (2) & possible 1 or 2 more that can reach lower bass extension <15Hz

Heres the specs for the tower:

Design: Video-shielded 250-watt (600-watt peak) two-way horn tower with dual 8" woofers.
Frequency Response: 25Hz - 23kHz
Sensitivity: 98dB @ 1 watt, 1 meter
Drivers: Two high power 8" woofers with heavy duty surrounds, one 6 1/2" mid/high frequency aluminum dome horn with neodymium magnet.
Magnetic Shielding: YES
Gold-Plated Terminals:YES
Recommended Power: 10-250 watts per channel RMS, 600 watts peak power.
Impedance: 8 ohms
Dimensions: 43"H x 11"W x 10"D
Weight: 42 lbs. Each
Warranty: Extended 8 Year Parts & Labor

the speakers can be amped up to 250Watts RMS
8 Ohm and very efficient @98/96db @ 1 watt @ 1 meter (LOUD)
Overall positive ratings and feedback. Good price/quality ratio. 8yrs warranty on woofers, 2yrs on amps (subs only)

Look here for how well these stand up to reviews compared to more expensive speakers.
http://floor-standing-speakers.toptenreviews.com/

Also i think these will give you the puch your looking for, with a great sub for low end!
post #8 of 16 Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When asking about "bang for buck" I take that as you saying it is irrelevant of price...and instead asking about the greatest "ratio" of quality to price. With that said, I was recently asking a similar question and ended up with speakers from Chase Home Theater. For $350-$400 each (including shipping), I got great quality speakers in very nice cabinets which consist of a 10" woofer, compression driver horn tweeter, and 97 db sensitivity so they get LOUD.

post #9 of 16 Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Is Chase still is business?

post #10 of 16 Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 AM

Liked: 15
If "bang for the buck" is cheap cheap it's hard to beat when Newegg is clearing out Polks, or when you follow slickdeals and find a score. Of course then it's more about buying a speaker at half price when the line is updated or a seller is discontinuing them than the actual speaker being a good value.

If you're willing to spend what I would consider a medium amount I think Paradigms are a good value on a good sounding, not so great looking speaker.

The most important point, though, is that if you're just going to go buy speakers based on a recommendation from a stranger you'll never get a great value because there will always be other speakers for the same price you would have liked better, and probably cheaper ones too, but without taking the time to do some comparisons you'll never know.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 243
For that size room and a decent-sized budget, I would recommend the Gallo Acoustics system consisting of the CL-3 speakers, the CL-2 speakers, and the CL-C center speaker. These are some of the finest-sounding speakers you can get for under $10,000.

You can get it for around $3000, and you will need to add a subwoofer (Gallo's is not the best; I use the NHT B12D).

You could spend twice as much money, and not equal the sound quality of this system. It is a real winner, and an incredibly low price for the way it sounds. They sell factory-direct, which cuts a lot of dealer markup off of the price.

Check out the article on it at avguide.com.

Gallo will let you try it for 60 days FREE in your home, which is very nice. There is no substitute for hearing a system in your home. If you should get it and want to return it, they pay the shipping both ways. I'll bet they spend very little money on return shipping, though...lol. Hard to imagine someone hearing these speakers and letting them get away.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-25-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

I have some B&W's that look nice and think I will put them in my bedroom.

For HT where speakers will be behind the screen or fabric wall, what is good on the price/performance scale? I want to do 7 speakers and at least 2 subs, so price goes up fast. I don't listen at reference,but want a punchy sound. I would like something with reasonably low bass extension, leaving the subs for the deepest stuff. Room is roughly 20x30x12 with 1 main row of seating.

A good starting point would be a bunch of Infinity P363's with the matching center channel (if a center channel format speaker were requried), plus a pair of Polk PSW 505s moving up into the upper ranges of Hsu or SVS territory if more funds were available. If money were tight, back off to Infinity P163s.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Is Chase still is business?

Yes.

post #14 of 16 Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Shady, thanks for the links. Others for your suggestions as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane View Post

When asking about "bang for buck" I take that as you saying it is irrelevant of price...and instead asking about the greatest "ratio" of quality to price.

Yeah, looking for the point before diminishing returns really starts to kick in. The main variable would be the size of the room. I've seen speakers rated by ability to fill a certain room volume (not sure why). But I do need something that will play loud enough to reach 20' back and still be clear with good frequency extension. I know most people say to just use a sub for the lows, but I'm in the dissenting camp (arguably the "wrong" camp) that prefers more full range speakers leaving subs to the lowest of the low end, say 40hz and under.

Things that played into my B&W purchase were: the look, the reviews, how they sounded, ease of demo'ing at local shops, strong center channel performance, and low extension without needing to use a sub.

For HT speakers, looks don't matter, I will use the same speakers so no need for a brand with a good center model, and performance requirements (I'm told) are slightly different.

I've heard good things about the Genelecs starting with the 1034, but they are expensive and maybe overkill. Klipsch seems to be popular for HT. I see they also have a Pro Cinema line with some low profile speakers which would work well for me, but maybe my room is too small. I had some JBL monitors back in college that weren't bad. Prices are all over the place, and it's hard to know what I really need vs paying extra for things that just don't matter.

It's less about the money and more about the value. Tbranden said $900 Ascend or $7500 Triads. If the Triads were 9x better than the Ascends then I would get the Triads. I suspect not, so maybe I should be looking at Ascends. Or maybe the $900 Ascend won't do what I want, so they can't be considered and I would have to move up in price. It's easy to recommend the very best, but I simply can't afford it. And every dollar I spend on speakers is a dollar I don't have for other things, so I guess I'm looking for the bare minimal expenditure that gets me a great set of speakers. Maybe that's an impossible question to expect answered on an Internet forum, but I figured I would cast a net and see what comes back.

post #15 of 16 Old 01-26-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 446
I should have added that if you aren't after commercial theater dynamics, you don't need heavy duty speakers like I recommended. If you are listening at modest volume levels, Ascends would be fine. JTR, Seaton, higher end Triad, and higher end Atlantic Technology type speakers are for those who are after the big screen sound and THX Reference levels. Some people have also used large venue pro-audio speakers to reportedly positive effect for big dynamics such as the QSC K series speakers and Electrovoice.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I would suggest JTR T12HT or Noesis 212HT for your LCR, Single or Slanted 8HT for Surrounds and a couple of Cap S1s or S2s for subs. Altogether you'll spend $12,600-$16,200 (plus shipping) for an amazing 7.2 setup. You'll be able to cross the LCR over at 60hz which would completely eliminate any localization of the subs, if you plan on placing them nearfield. If not, you'll be shocked at how much slam and punch you'll get with an 80hz crossover.

That's where I think you'll get the most for your money and have an incredible cinematic experience. Most of the suggested brands will distort and compress the sound a lot when pushed close to reference levels. If you only need 100db peaks, for example, at you seating distance, you'll need a speaker that can cleanly deliver around 116db-117db at 3ft. You're not going to get close to that unless you go with high efficiency designs.

David Budo
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page