RTI12 troubleshooting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night I picked up a used pair of RTI12's and I knew when I listened to them that there was some problems with them. The tweeters were not working and the mids on one tower were not as well. They look nearly brand new with only one small scratch in one of the cabinets. Anyway I ended up getting them for $200 for the pair. I got them home started messing around with them and there just seems to be a problem with one of the jumpers on one tower because I bi-amped them with my tx-nr709 and all six midbasses work and all four midranges work. I pulled the tweeters out and pulled the tweeter out of my center speaker and checked to see if either tweeter out of the tower is working and neither do. I also tried hooking the tweeter out of my center to each of the towers and am unable to get any sound out of the tweeter. So im guessing there is something wrong in the crossover. I'm not sure where to start with checking the crossover and was looking for some help in what to check for to figure out what is wrong. Also I'm not sure if they're not receiving enough power but the bass out of them seems to be lacking to me. They have quite a bit more bass than the monitor 50's they replaced but for such a large tower I just expected them to dig a little deeper and have more output. I read they require quite a bit of power so I'm guessing even bi-amped the receiver doesn't have enough oomph to push them fully. Or maybe something is also wrong with the crossover on the lower end of things. Anyway sorry this went on for so long any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I pulled the crossovers out and it looks like the cap and possibly the resistor is damaged. The cap is a 100uf shoei and as far as the resistor goes I cant tell as there is no labeling on it. Is there a way to test the resistor or figure out what value it is? Thanks for any help.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Speakers Rti 12

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page