Kef T105 or T205 with a Denon AVR 2113 ...whats best? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everybody,

I'm planning to sell my old AV gear, a Yamaha 5.1 receiver and 5.1 speakers from Magnat.

Now for the new equipment i was thinking of going to the Kef T series since we have bought a totally new modern tv furniture.

Now i can't decide which T package i should get, the T105 (small fronts, small rears) or the T205 (bigger fronts, small rears). This will be hooked up on a new Denon 7.1 receiver, the AVR 2113.

My question is , would the T105 be enough in terms of viewing movies and listening to music? Or should i got with the T205 instead since those have bigger fronts.

I don't want to buy the T105 and then when listening, come to the conclusion that i better had bought the T205 in terms of volume etc.
However if it isn't necessarry , i would save a few bucks when going for the T105.

Any advice?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Also, don't you need to buy a receiver who has less power then your speakers?

Example , if you receiver has 7x105w and your speakers can only hold 95w ... would that destroy them when you open up the volume to max on your speakers?

I think the Kef T105 has less W then the receiver while the T205 has more (fronts).
post #3 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Also, don't you need to buy a receiver who has less power then your speakers?

No, distortion (clipping) actually kills your speakers not clean power. And there is no way that receiver puts out 105W when powering 7 speakers. The power numbers go way down when driving 5 or 7 speakers at a time.

Speakers don't provide any power, the receiver does. A speaker mfr will give you recommended amp power range but its usually 20W -150W or something like that. Doesn't mean you need to buy a 150W receiver. 50W is usually fine.

Your main concern should be to look for receivers with the features you want.

I've been using a 75 watt Denon receiver with most of my speakers and it provides way more power than I could ever use. I have an older 55 watt Harman Kardon receiver that's very powerful too. Never came close to turning it up all the way.

If you plan to turn the volume up all the way you're going to ruin your speakers. That's never recommended.

How big is the room you're putting these speakers in?

Are you playing to wall mount these speakers? If not you might do better with regular bookshelf speakers.

Afro GT
post #4 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

So i could basically get the t105 then? I am just a bit worried that if i buy the t 105 i would be disappointed because the output is to low and better had bought the t205 which has two larger fronts.

Room is about 5/6 metres depth and about 8 long. Yes i would mount the tv and kef speakers to the wall.

I would also use the set for music (all sorts, sometimesvwith more bass) so i dont know if the t105 has enough power. I think yes but i would hate to be disappointed when i get the t105 and come to the conclusion that i had better bought the t205.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Nobody with kef speakers that can help me with chosing between the t205 or t105?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-28-2013, 02:26 PM

Hi

Just bought a Denon 2113 from Richer Sounds at a very good price and I too was deliberating between the KEF T 105/205s. Very happy with the Denon, though this is my first AV and therefore can'r really compare it, from a personal point of view.

I chose the T105s as the price at £699 was too good to miss. I am very happy with them in terms of their musicality and cinema surround sound.

Depends on your budget, I guess, but if you can afford the extra £4/500, whatever deal you can get, then go for the T205s. Either way the T series sound and look amazing.

I looked first at Kef, because I have some very nice Kef bookshelf speakers and thought they could be used in a 7:1 configuration but also as soon as I saw the T series I was hooked on their streamline appearance. Having set everything up I feel that I don't need a 7:1 set-up, to be fair and will use the bookshelf Kefs and the now redundant NAD, in another room.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John
post #7 of 7 Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 AM

Hello,

I have the T205 and love them, great sound. I have it paired with a so-so receiver Yamaha RX V571. But the speakers are def worth it. I got really lucky and got the set for $1,200 when it is selling for almost 2k.

Fantastic set of speakers, and look great.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page