Okay I admit it, Deadbolt Banana Plugs are the Best!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 351
After using various banana plugs over the years I decided to try the Sewell Deadbolt plugs. I had read comments here on AVS how easy they are to use so I got curious and ordered a 12 pair set for $25. I have 5.1 systems in my bedroom, main room and office so there are plenty of plugs to replace.

I've used the Monoprice closed screw, Nakamichi dual set screw, Parts Express cheapies and other single set screws too. While the set screw plugs are pretty easy, you need a screwdriver and sometimes its easy to lose a screw or drop one on the floor. Nothing is easier than these Deadbolt plugs. Can it get more simple than this? Only takes about 30 seconds per plug. You dont need any tools and it easily accepts 12 ga wire. Even though the Monoprice plugs use similar technology they don't handle thicker wire as easily and its more work to tighten down the top part once the wire has been flipped over the barrel. The base of the Sewell plugs are wider making it easier to screw down the top cap. Plus the Monoprice screws have a metal outer case, I like the hard plastic outer casing of the deadbolt plugs. They're low profile too and don't stick way out of the terminal.

I've tried it with 12ga, 14ga and 16ga wire. I actually like them best with the 12ga because there are so many strands to flip over into the teeth. All 3 gauges worked well though. Ended up using the new plugs on the front and surround speakers in two rooms and the L/R in one room on the speaker and receiver terminals. 12 pair went fast.

Yeah, I'm sold! Gonna use some of my old plugs on my dad's receiver next time I visit him.

Highly Recommended!

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Same opinion here. Out of all the banana plugs I've tried over the years these are my favorite. Very well made and very easy to use. The cost is a plus also.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
post #3 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Troll

Liked: 44
wow nice website, i never realized that there was yet another site that competed pretty well with monoprice from the looks of it! will definitely need to check this site out more when i get home.

hows tight are these in the binding posts?

the thing i am worried about most is that the cheap plugs all use a pot mix and not copper at all. i have nakamichi plugs with the sawtooth version and it is inside the binding posts very solidly.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Very solid connection to the binding post. You can here them click when inserted properly, they wont fall out.

These are better than the Nakamichi sawtooth plugs which I also have. The sawtooth plugs can actually bend fairly easily.

Afro GT
post #5 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Very solid connection to the binding post. You can here them click when inserted properly, they wont fall out.

These are better than the Nakamichi sawtooth plugs which I also have. The sawtooth plugs can actually bend fairly easily.

weird i've used atleast 30 of the sawtooth plugs, and have yet to bend a single one of them multiple insertions etc into some cardas binding posts which are tight as heck to begin with. the only problem i had was some stripped holes for the set screws.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I was thinking of getting some of these too, but i couldn't convince the wife that these were any better than the monoprice. I've got a 7.1 system, and I would have to spend over $60 dollars to get the 28 pairs that I need.

Update: I went direct through sewell website, and for 28 pairs, it will be a little be less than $40 dollars shipped. I'll probably order these in a couple of weeks wink.gif. Need to convince the wife to let me spend more on things that I don't really need lol.rolleyes.gif

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #7 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Perhaps there are different mfrs of those Nak plugs because Nakamichi doesn't actually make banana plugs? Maybe I got cheap copies? I've never seen anything on their website. It was just one plug that bent on me.

Where did you purchase yours from?

Afro GT
post #8 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Interesting, nice find. Hadn't seen this before I will give them a try. thanks!

I'm converting all my mains to speakon, but where they can't be used these seem like a great option.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I was thinking of getting some of these too, but i couldn't convince the wife that these were any better than the monoprice. I've got a 7.1 system, and I would have to spend over $60 dollars to get the 28 pairs that I need.

They're not much more the Monoprice plugs. $25 for 24 plugs is only like $1.04 plug or $2.08/pr. Monoprice charges $1.82/pr but sometimes they have better discounts.

If you already have plugs then there probably isn't much need to change.

Afro GT
post #10 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Perhaps there are different mfrs of those Nak plugs because Nakamichi doesn't actually make banana plugs? Maybe I got cheap copies? I've never seen anything on their website. It was just one plug that bent on me.

Where did you purchase yours from?

http://www.nakamichiplug.com/

nakamichi doesn't make bananas, its a fact, but this site consistently gets good reviews on their plugs, people that compare them to the ebay versions usually find that the ebay ones are of lower quality.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

So maybe I got Nakamichi knockoffs since I got mine off ebay. frown.gif

Actually the prices on that site are pretty good, especially if you buy in volume.

Afro GT
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page